Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Austincici, One hotel that would fit your criteria is:

the Hyatt Place

1851 S.E. 10th Avenue

Ft. lauderdale, FL 33316

If you search this forum you will find lots of information on the hotel, but it is approximately 1 mile from one of the 3 port entrances, there is a Publix (grocery store) across the street, and a liquor store a few blocks down, on the other side of 17th street. There are other places that will meet your criteria, but this would be the most convenient for what you asked for that I can think of.

Donnie

Hello all!!! I have been searching for answers to my question for quite some time now but no luck as of yet. I'm cruisin out of Port Everglades in May and flying into FLL. We are not planning on renting a car but relying on taxi seeing that it is just for one night. The BF would like to go to Sawgrass Mills mall so I guess my question would be what would be a good hotel option that's close to the mall, port and airport that could offer a free shuttle to atleast airport. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!!:confused:

Rsoon,

I would say your best bet would be the Hampton Inn in plantation, they are a ways away from the port and airport, but I've read on here that they offer shuttle rides to and from each... I also read that they have a shuttle that will take you locally, but I don't know if they would consider Sawgrass local, but it's not too far from this location.. You would be about 1/2 way between the port and sawgrass at this location... you can call them to see if they would shuttle you to sawgrass..

You can also do a search for Hampton Inn Plantation on these boards and will get some info from others.

http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/hotels/index.jhtml;jsessionid=IDERDO5Q4HLA2CSGBI1MVCQ?ctyhocn=FLLPTHX

Hi, there! We are trying to decide where to stay the night before our cruise in December. We would like to be close to the port, so the cab won't cost much, and have a place to get water and Cokes nearby within walking distance. But we would also like a place with a liquor store within walking distance, too! (Not asking much are we?) Is there a place that would fit all those criteria?

Hyatt Place FLL airport north

Embassy Suites

Holiday Inn Express Convention Center

Rsoon,

I would say your best bet would be the Hampton Inn in plantation, they are a ways away from the port and airport, but I've read on here that they offer shuttle rides to and from each... I also read that they have a shuttle that will take you locally, but I don't know if they would consider Sawgrass local, but it's not too far from this location.. You would be about 1/2 way between the port and sawgrass at this location... you can call them to see if they would shuttle you to sawgrass..

You can also do a search for Hampton Inn Plantation on these boards and will get some info from others.

http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/hotels/index.jhtml;jsessionid=IDERDO5Q4HLA2CSGBI1MVCQ?ctyhocn=FLLPTHX

I agree that this would be a great choice. The Hyatt Place and La Quinta in Plantation also offer cruise/airport shuttles, but I'm not sure about to Sawgrass Mills. They wouldn't be far by cab, anyway. Most hotels in Plantation or Sunrise with shuttles would fit the bill.

Scootsmom, what type of info are you looking for? I work and live within 2 miles of that hotel, and can help you out... There is not a whole lot of stuff within walking distance of that hotel, but there is the Outdoor world right across the street (fishing and hunting paradise), http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CFPageC?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&appID=94&storeID=16

which has a restaurant in it as well, the islamarada fish company.... To get there, just cross griffen road and go towards the tri-rail stop and follow the road around to the store...

Also, another restaurant within walking distance is the rustic inn http://www.rusticinn.com/ which is a nice rustic (no pun intended) landmark in south florida, casual dining right next to the water (or inside if you prefer).

Other than those two places, not much within walking distance, but if you can tell me the type of places or activities your looking for, I can help you out.

Donnie

daze823

Thanks for your fast response. I like your suggestion for dinner at the Rustic Inn ~~~ that certainly is doable. How safe is the area?

It is certainly not an upscale area, but it is safe for you and your family... Mostly businesses and boat yards between your hotel and the restaurant. The only thing is, there is not a sidewalk between your hotel and the rustic inn, but there is a wide grassy area on the side of the road (not a very busy road), except for a very small bridge that you will need to cross, but if you walk single file you'll be fine. I would have no problem walking with my DW and 10 yr old DS. I would also recommend visiting the outdoor world if anyone in your group enjoys any outdoor activities, if you've never been to one, they are definitely worth the visit... It is a store, but it has a very neat theme to the store and a HUGE aquarium in the middle of the store..

Thanks for the response royalcruz! I checked all three and at least right now they are pretty pricey for our night in December. I think I've decided on the Extended Stay America, I can get it for $85 with my AAA membership. According to what I'm reading, it seems close to everthing. Unless any of you have heard bad things, of course!

Thanks for the response royalcruz! I checked all three and at least right now they are pretty pricey for our night in December. I think I've decided on the Extended Stay America, I can get it for $85 with my AAA membership. According to what I'm reading, it seems close to everthing. Unless any of you have heard bad things, of course!

That is also in the same location but for some reason it is not as popular...probably just because Extended Stay started as a long-stay hotel.

It is certainly not an upscale area, but it is safe for you and your family... Mostly businesses and boat yards between your hotel and the restaurant. The only thing is, there is not a sidewalk between your hotel and the rustic inn, but there is a wide grassy area on the side of the road (not a very busy road), except for a very small bridge that you will need to cross, but if you walk single file you'll be fine. I would have no problem walking with my DW and 10 yr old DS. I would also recommend visiting the outdoor world if anyone in your group enjoys any outdoor activities, if you've never been to one, they are definitely worth the visit... It is a store, but it has a very neat theme to the store and a HUGE aquarium in the middle of the store..

daze823, We are planning on staying at the Fairfield Inn for one night pre-cruise in July and using this hotel's park and cruise package. Should we consider this area safe enough to leave our vehicle there for a week? It's not a fancy SUV, but I would like it to be there when we come back from our cruise.

Your help is very much appreciated!

teamrlk,

It's hard for me to answer that, because I don't really have any knowledge on car thefts, I would think that it woudl be safe, but it's really hard for me to answer that... if someone is out to steal a car, I would assume they could do it from anywhere, including parking garages, hotels, malls, movie theaters, maybe even from the port... I really don't know... but I would park my car in that hotel for a week, I don't think I would worry about it, any more than if I was to park it somewhere else.

Thanks, again, Royalcruz. I booked it last night. We'll just need to be sure and bring our own shampoo and go out for breakfast, since they don't provide that.

You'll find Einsteins and Starbucks across the street, as well as a NY deli in the big Office Depot shopping center across the street, and there is a Denny's about 6 blocks west. There is also a casual restaurant that serves breakfast in the Harbor Shops (west, at Cordova Rd). I guess you'll want to skip the $32.95 Sunday brunch at Bimini Boatyard.

teamrlk,

It's hard for me to answer that, because I don't really have any knowledge on car thefts, I would think that it woudl be safe, but it's really hard for me to answer that... if someone is out to steal a car, I would assume they could do it from anywhere, including parking garages, hotels, malls, movie theaters, maybe even from the port... I really don't know... but I would park my car in that hotel for a week, I don't think I would worry about it, any more than if I was to park it somewhere else.

Thanks daze823. I understand you can't offer any guarantees, I just needed a general opinion of the area. And BassProShop is right across the street? My husband will be thrilled!

Thanks again for all your information!

royalcruz,

Of these two which would you choose?

They are about the same cost.

Extended Stay America or North Hyatt Place?

Which one offers the most within walking distance?

Thank you.

They are really close to each other. People like Hyatt Place North because they include breakfast and they are a block from Total Wine and Harbor Shops restaurants. Extended Stay is closer to more restaurants though. You can't go wrong with either.

• 3 weeks later...