Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

I have two questions for the 2 cruises I have booked out of Fort Lauderdale.

One we have bid on Priceline and got the Renaissance Hotel. Has anyone stayed there.:confused: The reviews on Trip Adviser have been pretty good. How much is the taxi to the Hotel and from the hotel to the pier.

About $15 and $10.

I don't hear to many post on this resort. It looks great with excellent reviews. How far is it from the airport/port? Can you walk to restaraunts/shopping from there?

I love the Pelican Beach Resort, but the service in the restaurants is not good. It is about 10 miles from the airport and 7 from the north port entrance. Unfortunately, there isn't really anything around, but the Galleria Mall has great shops and restaurants and is only a 1.5 mile cab ride. Shooters, Taverna Opa, and Charley's Crab are only about a mile away and offer waterfront dining and a water taxi stop.

Edited by royalcruz

Late joining the thread. Question about restaurants...coming in early.....good Seafood Restaurant....and a good fun bar/restaurant....some bantered around have been Rustic Inn, Kelly's Landing, Bimini Boatyard, Seawatch, and 15 St Fisheries for seafood and The Fields an Irish Bar/Pub for fun and good food??? Any suggestions or favorites....primary focus is decent food, and fun group of 9!

Lou

Thank you , royalcruz, for all of this valuable info. You are a big help!

I ditto that royalcruz for the info on the cab fare to the Renaissance and then to the pier.

I have another question, where would be a good place to have dinner near to the hotel and not too expensive.:confused:

Thanks for the feedback royalcruz. We've stayed at the Marriot Marina (Hilton) in the past. We are also looking at the Embassy Suites and Hyatt 66. It looks like the Hyatt has room to stroll around after dinner?

Edited by 4totravel

royalcruz, We're staying at Cambria Suite, Dania Beach. I'm wondering if you can tell me about the area. I understand there isn't a lot in the way of dining in the area. This is something I'm concerned about due to the fact, several of our group will be flying in and not have cars. Is there any type of trolley or other transportation in that area? How about moderate type restaurants for dinner. Chains are ok with us.

Thanks so much for all your wonderful advice.

JoAnn

royalcruz, We're staying at Cambria Suite, Dania Beach. I'm wondering if you can tell me about the area. I understand there isn't a lot in the way of dining in the area. This is something I'm concerned about due to the fact, several of our group will be flying in and not have cars. Is there any type of trolley or other transportation in that area? How about moderate type restaurants for dinner. Chains are ok with us.

Thanks so much for all your wonderful advice.

JoAnn

I'm not so familiar with the areas south of Fort Lauderdale, honestly. I don't believe there is a trolley and I'm not a fan of most public buses. There are several chain restaurants in Oakwood Plaza in Dania. You might want to take a cab to downtown Hollywood (centered around Hollywood Blvd) and walk around and choose a quaint place to settle for drinks and dinner. It is casual, and there are lots of choices and lots of ethnic restaurants.

Thanks for the feedback royalcruz. We've stayed at the Marriot Marina (Hilton) in the past. We are also looking at the Embassy Suites and Hyatt 66. It looks like the Hyatt has room to stroll around after dinner?

Hyatt Pier 66 is a cool property. You could stay for a weekend and relax and get all of your needs met without leaving the property. You could stroll around the pool area and pier after dinner. They even have a water taxi stop.

I ditto that royalcruz for the info on the cab fare to the Renaissance and then to the pier.

I have another question, where would be a good place to have dinner near to the hotel and not too expensive.:confused:

The closest restaurants outside of the hotel are Bimini Boatyard and Bravo Italiano. The latter is the less expensive of the two, but both are moderately priced by Fort Lauderdale standards.

Late joining the thread. Question about restaurants...coming in early.....good Seafood Restaurant....and a good fun bar/restaurant....some bantered around have been Rustic Inn, Kelly's Landing, Bimini Boatyard, Seawatch, and 15 St Fisheries for seafood and The Fields an Irish Bar/Pub for fun and good food??? Any suggestions or favorites....primary focus is decent food, and fun group of 9!

Lou

The Field is great during the week because they have a Beatles band and a Rod Stewart impressionist. The food is just ok. Seawatch and 15th St. Fisheries are not really fun. So I would go with Rustic Inn or Kelly's for fun atmosphere. I'm not a seafood lover, but these places have a fun, laid-back atmosphere.

I'm not so familiar with the areas south of Fort Lauderdale, honestly. I don't believe there is a trolley and I'm not a fan of most public buses. There are several chain restaurants in Oakwood Plaza in Dania. You might want to take a cab to downtown Hollywood (centered around Hollywood Blvd) and walk around and choose a quaint place to settle for drinks and dinner. It is casual, and there are lots of choices and lots of ethnic restaurants.

How close is downtown Hollywood? Thanks for the info!

Jo

I won two rooms at the Riverside Hotel on Priceline for my family of 5 (me, hubby, son (21) and daughters (16 & 13). We'll be arriving on Saturday late afternoon for the one night before we sail on the Valor. Is there a liquor store in walking distance you can recommend? What about a good but not expensive restaurant for dinner? We've never been to Ft. Lauderdale, so I'm not familiar with anything in this area. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I also got the Riverside booked for November. Do you know anything about this hotel. Is there any shuttle from the Airport or to the Cruise ship? Anyone with any info on this hotel?

Thanks

Hi Royalcruz,

You seem to have a wealth of knowledge on Fort Lauderdale, since I see that's where you live! Lucky you. Anyway we are staying at the Westin Diplomat Resort & Spa in November. What do you recommend for us to do/see in our 1 1/2 day there. Any restaurants or shopping or possible water taxi near there. Thanks for any input you can provide.:)

The closest restaurants outside of the hotel are Bimini Boatyard and Bravo Italiano. The latter is the less expensive of the two, but both are moderately priced by Fort Lauderdale standards.

Thanks again Royalcruz. Appreciate all your info.

Hi Lou, good to see your post.

How close is downtown Hollywood? Thanks for the info!

Jo

East Dania to downtown Hollywood is less than a 15 minute ride. If you want to mapquest it for exact mileage, look up Sage restaurant in Hollywood (they have great raspberry duck) and map it to the hotel.

I also got the Riverside booked for November. Do you know anything about this hotel. Is there any shuttle from the Airport or to the Cruise ship? Anyone with any info on this hotel?

Thanks

There is no shuttle. People complain that the older rooms are tired but the newer tower rooms are very nice. In any case, I'd be thrilled to stay in any room in this hotel for the great location.

Hi Royalcruz,

You seem to have a wealth of knowledge on Fort Lauderdale, since I see that's where you live! Lucky you. Anyway we are staying at the Westin Diplomat Resort & Spa in November. What do you recommend for us to do/see in our 1 1/2 day there. Any restaurants or shopping or possible water taxi near there. Thanks for any input you can provide.:)

Sorry, I'm not a Hollywood expert.:( I can tell you that there is no water taxi, and you are limited in what you can walk to from the hotel, but there are several restaurants in the complex.

How do you feel about the Gallery One Doubletree and its location for 1-2 nights precruise? Thanks.

I love it! It has a water taxi stop, you can walk to the beach, Galleria Mall, Starbucks, CVS, and restaurants, and the hotel is nice. What more could you want!?:D

Thanks, You convinced me and I'm booking the Gallery One for our Feb cruise. Any suggestions for mid-priced restaurants that are an easy/short walk? Also how far is the beach that you said we could walk to?

Royalcruz,

Just discovered that I can also get the Marriott Courtyard Ft Lauderdale Beach (Seabreeze Blvd) for a little less than the Gallery One for our Feb 2 night pre cruise. How would your compare these two, with respect to amenities, appearance, and location? (Not renting a car). Thanks again.

Thanks, You convinced me and I'm booking the Gallery One for our Feb cruise. Any suggestions for mid-priced restaurants that are an easy/short walk? Also how far is the beach that you said we could walk to?

The beach is over the bridge and about 4 blocks. Moderate dining: There is a PF Changs at Galleria Mall a block west, as well as a food court. If you walk over the bridge, you will find neighborhood Italian Franko & Vinny's and a Mexican restaurant, and if you walk another block or two and take a right, you'll find Primante's pizza and Blue Fish on the next block, near the beach.