Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

I know this has probably been answered but thinking about looking through 1000+ posts is too much right now.

Can you give me the name of a hotel that is inexpensive in Ft. Lauderdale that will let you leave your car in their parking lot and book a room for the day the cruise ends? We will have our car in florida and don't want to pay the price at the dock.

What is the daily cost of using their parking lot? Are they safer than parking at a hotel?

Thanks

If you go to stay123.com you will find hotels with free parking. Some offer shuttle to and from the port....others only offer a shuttle one way. I have booked the Hampton Inn with free parking/free shuttle to and from the port/free breakfast for $110. You can get the same hotel without parking for around $64. Hope this helps!

RoyalCruz

Thanks so much for doing this. We are stay post cruise at the Double Tree Suites Gallery One on East Sunrise Blvd. Is it hard to follow your itinerary from this hotel ?

Also, how far from the Double Tree Suites is the Sunrise Centre where the Florida Panthers play hockey. My Chicago Blackhawks are in town when we are there and was wondering what it would cost to take a taxi (return) from our hotel or is there a cheaper mode of transportation ?

http://www.watertaxi.com/FLLMap.Asp.htm

Here is a map of the water taxi route and here is a suggestion:

Get on at stop 7 outbound. Get off at stop 5. Walk to A1A and turn left and stroll for a mile and find your way to stop 3 behind the Pillars Hotels. Take the water taxi inbound to stop 9. Walk to Las Olas Blvd. Turn right and stroll east to 15th Ave. Cross Las Olas and walk back the other side. Cross the street at Cheesecake Factory and walk to the river. Turn right and walk along the bricked riverfront west until you get to stop 11 or 13. Take the water taxi back to stop 7 near your hotel. This will give you a nice route to stroll, see the beach and the river, and stop for food and drinks.

If you go to stay123.com you will find hotels with free parking. Some offer shuttle to and from the port....others only offer a shuttle one way. I have booked the Hampton Inn with free parking/free shuttle to and from the port/free breakfast for $110. You can get the same hotel without parking for around $64. Hope this helps!
Which Hampton did you book? It's not on the water taxi route, is it? Thanks for the info! (The Hampton rates that I'm seeing are much higher ... )

Which Hampton did you book? It's not on the water taxi route, is it? Thanks for the info! (The Hampton rates that I'm seeing are much higher ... )

The Hampton Inn that I booked is on Sterling Rd....so it is not near the water taxi. We will not be at the hotel until 7pm or so on Friday....so we just needed a place to sleep. If we had more time then I might have chosen differently......

I know this has probably been answered but thinking about looking through 1000+ posts is too much right now.

Can you give me the name of a hotel that is inexpensive in Ft. Lauderdale that will let you leave your car in their parking lot and book a room for the day the cruise ends? We will have our car in florida and don't want to pay the price at the dock.

What is the daily cost of using their parking lot? Are they safer than parking at a hotel?

CC members have liked staying at Hampton Inns on SR84 and on Stirling Rd and the Sleep Inn in Dania. They offer what you want. I would feel more secure leaving my car at the port because at least there is some security. It will probably be fine at the hotels but auto thefts and breakins are not uncommon in South FL.

Hi there!

Lookin for inexpensive but NICE beach hotel in Ft Lauderdale for Dec 4th for 1 night, 3 adults. If we don;t stay on the beach, how close can we be but save a lot on toom cost? Currently booked at Marriott Beach Places Towers -- but want something less expensive - hopefully with shuttle to/from airport and also to cruise port.

I don't think any of the beach hotels provide free shuttles, but as long as you stay south of Sunrise Blvd cabfare is inexpensive. For possibly less expensive rates look at Best Western Oceanside, Sheraton, Bahia Mar, and Marriott Courtyard. They aren't as nice as Beach Place but I think they are fine. The Hilton does a cruise special starting at $159/night.

RoyalCruz

Thanks so much for doing this. We are stay post cruise at the Double Tree Suites Gallery One on East Sunrise Blvd. Is it hard to follow your itinerary from this hotel ?

Also, how far from the Double Tree Suites is the Sunrise Centre where the Florida Panthers play hockey. My Chicago Blackhawks are in town when we are there and was wondering what it would cost to take a taxi (return) from our hotel or is there a cheaper mode of transportation ?

There might be a difference in the outbound/inbound directions but the stops would be the same. Just look at the map on the link and follow my suggestions for the stops. Your hotel is north of the stops that I suggested. You are at the best stop for shopping. The Sunrise Centre is about a 30-45 minute drive, depending on traffic. Cabfare would be quite high, so if you are going there I would suggest a car rental. You could take public bus 36 straight out Sunrise Blvd to Sawgrass Mills and then walk over.

Thanks for the quick response. With regards to Public Bus 36, is it far from the Double Tree to catch ? does it return to the hotel or area close by after the game ? what would be the cost ? and are we looking at the same time getting to the rink ?

There might be a difference in the outbound/inbound directions but the stops would be the same. Just look at the map on the link and follow my suggestions for the stops. Your hotel is north of the stops that I suggested. You are at the best stop for shopping. The Sunrise Centre is about a 30-45 minute drive, depending on traffic. Cabfare would be quite high, so if you are going there I would suggest a car rental. You could take public bus 36 straight out Sunrise Blvd to Sawgrass Mills and then walk over.

Thanks for the quick response. With regards to Public Bus 36, is it far from the Double Tree to catch ? does it return to the hotel or area close by after the game ? what would be the cost ? and are we looking at the same time getting to the rink ?

The bus goes by the hotel and the stop would be very close by, across the street from the mall. It costs $1.75 pp each way. Here is a link to the schedule:

http://www.broward.org/BCT/MapsAndSchedules/Routes/Pages/36.aspx

Call 954-357-8400 for more info. If you are seeing a night game it might end too late to take the bus back.

No. The water taxi is in Fort Lauderdale on the water and the hotel is in Hollywood, not near water.

Thanks for the info Royalcruz- I may have made a mistake by booking at the Hampton on Stirling. Thought it woud give us girls something to do since we are arriving around 1:00 on Friday. Is the water taxi worth rebooking our hotel to something closer or perhaps take a cab ride to one of the stops? If not, can you recommend something we can do at our present location as well as a good restaurant. ~P

Thanks for the info Royalcruz- I may have made a mistake by booking at the Hampton on Stirling. Thought it woud give us girls something to do since we are arriving around 1:00 on Friday. Is the water taxi worth rebooking our hotel to something closer or perhaps take a cab ride to one of the stops? If not, can you recommend something we can do at our present location as well as a good restaurant. ~P

The Hampton area doesn't give you a feel for Fort Lauderdale at all. Across the street is Oakwood Plaza...it has discount chain stores, inexpensive chain restaurants, an arcade, and a multiplex cinema. The best restaurant IMO is Hollywood Ale House, a very casual sports bar/grill. The water taxi is a great way to see a bunch of areas. You can get to it easily from most Fort Laud beach hotels, from the hotels on 17th St (Hyatt Place and Embassy Suites are a bit of a walk though), from Riverside Hotel on Las Olas, Il Lugano, and GalleryOne Doubletree. For low rates look at Holiday Inn Express Convention Center, Extended Stay America on 17th St., Hyatt Place north on Valuetrips.com, and Bahia Mar. Best places for the girls to see on the water taxi are Las Olas Blvd, beachfront, and Galleria Mall.

The Hampton area doesn't give you a feel for Fort Lauderdale at all. Across the street is Oakwood Plaza...it has discount chain stores, inexpensive chain restaurants, an arcade, and a multiplex cinema. The best restaurant IMO is Hollywood Ale House, a very casual sports bar/grill. The water taxi is a great way to see a bunch of areas. You can get to it easily from most Fort Laud beach hotels, from the hotels on 17th St (Hyatt Place and Embassy Suites are a bit of a walk though), from Riverside Hotel on Las Olas, Il Lugano, and GalleryOne Doubletree. For low rates look at Holiday Inn Express Convention Center, Extended Stay America on 17th St., Hyatt Place north on Valuetrips.com, and Bahia Mar. Best places for the girls to see on the water taxi are Las Olas Blvd, beachfront, and Galleria Mall.

Royalcruz, I decided to cancel my original rsv and book a room at Riverside (one of the hotels your suggested). I agree, think we'll enjoy the area and getting a better feel for Ft Lauderdale. Really looking forward to it! Any suggestions for lunch and dinner?

Thanks again~P

Royalcruz, I decided to cancel my original rsv and book a room at Riverside (one of the hotels your suggested). I agree, think we'll enjoy the area and getting a better feel for Ft Lauderdale. Really looking forward to it! Any suggestions for lunch and dinner?

Thanks again~P

I'm sure that you will love the area. Some of the good moderately priced restaurants are:

Big City Tavern

Mangos

Cheesecake Factory

Rocco's Taco's (opening this fall)

Le Bonne Crepe

Noodles Panini

and Kilwin's for dessert (no seating)

Great upscale dining and wine/tapas bar can be found at Johnny V. There are lots of other restaurants. Just walk around at look at the menus posted outside. If you like traditional French cuisine, Cafe de Paris is the last one standing in the area.

Don't know your age, but if you like clubs YOLO and SoLita are the hot ones right now.

I haven't stayed there but have visited. It is very nice and the view is gorgeous. I have a local friend who honeymooned there and loved it.

Thanks for the response. The pictures that where posted by the site are beautiful. About how many miles is it from the FLL airport to the Pillars and from there to the port?

Thanks for the response. The pictures that where posted by the site are beautiful. About how many miles is it from the FLL airport to the Pillars and from there to the port?

It is about 3 miles to the port and about 6 miles from the airport.