Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

I just got the Riverside Hotel through Priceline and would like to know where we could have dinner at a reasonable place and bkft. for just a bagel. Unfortunately it does not have shuttle service.

Thanks Royal Cruz for your help.

There are lots of reasonably priced restaurants along Las Olas Blvd depending on what you want. If you want to eat a dinner entree anywhere, plan to spend $18-30 on avg, but you can find dinner salads, pizza, sandwiches, pasta, and crepes for less, in quite a few places. Look at Cheesecake Factory, Big City Tavern, Mangos, and Le Bonne Crepe. You can find menus on the internet, and they are posted outside all the restaurants. There are no bagel places in the area but there is a Starbucks about 2 blocks west and they have pastries. These websites have some Las Olas dining deals you might like.

http://www.dininghalfoff.com/

http://premierdiningflorida.com/

Oh, and don't worry about shuttle service. A taxi is only about $20 from FLL and less than that to the port, and you won't have to wait around for a shuttle.

Edited by royalcruz

There are lots of reasonably priced restaurants along Las Olas Blvd depending on what you want. If you want to eat a dinner entree anywhere, plan to spend $18-30 on avg, but you can find dinner salads, pizza, sandwiches, pasta, and crepes for less, in quite a few places. Look at Cheesecake Factory, Big City Tavern, Mangos, and Le Bonne Crepe. You can find menus on the internet, and they are posted outside all the restaurants. There are no bagel places in the area but there is a Starbucks about 2 blocks west and they have pastries. These websites have some Las Olas dining deals you might like.

http://www.dininghalfoff.com/

http://premierdiningflorida.com/

Oh, and don't worry about shuttle service. A taxi is only about $20 from FLL and less than that to the port, and you won't have to wait around for a shuttle.

Thanks so much, they are saying the shuttle is $22 for up to 3 people and the taxi would be $30. I was wondering about that.

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks so much, they are saying the shuttle is $22 for up to 3 people and the taxi would be $30. I was wondering about that.

I really appreciate your help.

We were at the Riverside earlier this month and the taxi to the port (Solstice) was only $15.30 plus tip.

We were at the Riverside earlier this month and the taxi to the port (Solstice) was only $15.30 plus tip.

How much was the taxi from the airport to the Riverside. :confused: Any comments on the hotel other than what I have read on Trip Adviser. Did you stay in the older section or the Tower. Where did you have dinner and breakfast. I am so happy there is a Starbuck's near by. Miy favorite coffe.:)

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

How much was the taxi from the airport to the Riverside. :confused: Any comments on the hotel other than what I have read on Trip Adviser. Did you stay in the older section or the Tower. Where did you have dinner and breakfast. I am so happy there is a Starbuck's near by. Miy favorite coffe.:)

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

We stayed at the W for the 3 nights prior to going to the Riverside for our last night so dont know exact taxi fare from FLL, however I would think no more than $20.00. We actually had a very late lunch at the Cheesecake Factory which is next to hotel and then the next morning had breakfast at the hotel. We ate in the Indigo restaurant and they had a small buffet which was excellent. My wife ordered from the menu and also enjoyed it. We booked through Priceline and were told we could upgrade to the newer Tower section for $30.00 which we did, but were told no balcony rooms would be available. We were waiting in the lobby for room to be ready about 1:00 pm and the desk clerk came over and said she was upgrading us to a balcony room. It was very nice, especially with the balcony overlooking the intercoastal. We had been in the area many times but had never stayed there but thoroughly enjoyed it and would stay there again. We never saw a room in the older section but based on everything else about the hotel I cant imagine that the rooms there wouldnt be nice.

We stayed at the W for the 3 nights prior to going to the Riverside for our last night so dont know exact taxi fare from FLL, however I would think no more than $20.00. We actually had a very late lunch at the Cheesecake Factory which is next to hotel and then the next morning had breakfast at the hotel. We ate in the Indigo restaurant and they had a small buffet which was excellent. My wife ordered from the menu and also enjoyed it. We booked through Priceline and were told we could upgrade to the newer Tower section for $30.00 which we did, but were told no balcony rooms would be available. We were waiting in the lobby for room to be ready about 1:00 pm and the desk clerk came over and said she was upgrading us to a balcony room. It was very nice, especially with the balcony overlooking the intercoastal. We had been in the area many times but had never stayed there but thoroughly enjoyed it and would stay there again. We never saw a room in the older section but based on everything else about the hotel I cant imagine that the rooms there wouldnt be nice.

All the comments say the Tower rooms are larger and nicer. It was great you got a balcony. Priceline told you you could upgrade to a Tower room. I never got that from them when I won this Hotel. Interesting.

Again thanks for all your good info.

Edited by terpla

All the comments say the Tower rooms are larger and nicer. It was great you got a balcony. Priceline told you you could upgrade to a Tower room. I never got that from them when I won this Hotel. Interesting.

Again thanks for all your good info.

I am sorry for the confusion but actually I meant to say the clerk at the hotel said we could upgrade for $30.00, not Priceline. Have a great trip.

I am sorry for the confusion but actually I meant to say the clerk at the hotel said we could upgrade for $30.00, not Priceline. Have a great trip.

Hi, thanks for this ongoing conversation about the Riverside; we are staying there for one night precruise in February, so I am very interested in your comments. I called the hotel and asked about the rooms in the "historic" section of the hotel because of what I had read on Trip Advisor (basically that there was no wi-fi and no beds bigger than full-queen in this section, which was "across the street from the tower"). I was also told that I could upgrade to the tower for $30.00, but that there is wi-fi in the historic section (not that I actually care while on vacation but may interest some) and that I was in fact scheduled to be in a room with a king-sized bed (this does matter to me) and that the two sections are connected to one another. The tower section is under 10 years old and they confirmed that the rooms are larger and more modern, but having spent a few nights in hotels in Manhattan, the historic section will probably seem spacious :>) Since we are arriving at 8 PM and will need dinner when we get there, I've decided the extra money can be better spent than on a room we'll hardly see. I am also interested in the eating arrangements; you can find the hotel's restaurant menus on line at their web site http://www.riversidehotel.com/?page_id=22 It looks like they have a single main restaurant (Indigo) and two lounges where you can order appetizers and off the menu. It seems as though Cheesecake Factory is close by, and this is a "safe" bet as it is a chain where the food is consistent and abundant. In fact I'd suggest that if you are not a big eater you order one meal and split it with your traveling companion; you'll save money and won't be feeling badly about leaving food to go to waste. Their portions are large! Have a great trip, Laurie

Edited by ljandiernp
misspelled word

Hi, thanks for this ongoing conversation about the Riverside; we are staying there for one night precruise in February, so I am very interested in your comments. I called the hotel and asked about the rooms in the "historic" section of the hotel because of what I had read on Trip Advisor (basically that there was no wi-fi and no beds bigger than full-queen in this section, which was "across the street from the tower"). I was also told that I could upgrade to the tower for $30.00, but that there is wi-fi in the historic section (not that I actually care while on vacation but may interest some) and that I was in fact scheduled to be in a room with a king-sized bed (this does matter to me) and that the two sections are connected to one another. The tower section is under 10 years old and they confirmed that the rooms are larger and more modern, but having spent a few nights in hotels in Manhattan, the historic section will probably seem spacious :>) Since we are arriving at 8 PM and will need dinner when we get there, I've decided the extra money can be better spent than on a room we'll hardly see. I am also interested in the eating arrangements; you can find the hotel's restaurant menus on line at their web site http://www.riversidehotel.com/?page_id=22 It looks like they have a single main restaurant (Indigo) and two lounges where you can order appetizers and off the menu. It seems as though Cheesecake Factory is close by, and this is a "safe" bet as it is a chain where the food is consistent and abundant. In fact I'd suggest that if you are not a big eater you order one meal and split it with your traveling companion; you'll save money and won't be feeling badly about leaving food to go to waste. Their portions are large! Have a great trip, Laurie

Laurie thanks for your update. I have already decided to eat at the Cheesecake Factory and Starbucks in the morning so I am set. We too are staying in Feb. on the 25th. What date are you staying there?

Aarep thanks for the clarification.

Can someone help me with deciding where to go shopping in Fort Lauderdale when we stop on our B2B cruise? Sawgrass, I think, is too far and would like to find somewhere closer.

Please help - we are on our first leg of the B2B now and we will be at port this Sunday.

Thanks in advance.

Hi All,

We stayed at the Riverside last week and are returning in less than 2 weeks. We got our room through Priceline and stayed in the newer tower. No WiFi, but there's an Ethernet cord that's long enough to use the computer anywhere in the room.

The room was roomy and included a table w/ two chairs, a desk and chair, king size bed, lounge chair, TV cabinet and mini bar. As you know, the location is great, with plenty of places to eat on Las Olas. CVS and Starbucks are just a quick 3 blocks away. As mentioned, the cab ride to the cruise port was about $15.

We were more than satisfied with the hotel and are happy to be staying there again.

P1150136.jpg.a64bf4a2465ecc39bcda01087c3b7bbe.jpg

P1150135.jpg.fcb382cf9476f0b962154850df0088b8.jpg

P1150127.jpg.5b2431b7f59dfb0001e529b5c8ff5c93.jpg

P1150130.jpg.cfcf599d40ff778b2fd8a7f723c49d04.jpg

Hi All,

We stayed at the Riverside last week and are returning in less than 2 weeks. We got our room through Priceline and stayed in the newer tower. No WiFi, but there's an Ethernet cord that's long enough to use the computer anywhere in the room.

The room was roomy and included a table w/ two chairs, a desk and chair, king size bed, lounge chair, TV cabinet and mini bar. As you know, the location is great, with plenty of places to eat on Las Olas. CVS and Starbucks are just a quick 3 blocks away. As mentioned, the cab ride to the cruise port was about $15.

We were more than satisfied with the hotel and are happy to be staying there again.

Thanks for the input Kevin, most people seemed to have stayed in the Tower. I would love to hear from anyone who has stayed in the older building. Just wondering if the upgrade is worth the extra money.

Thanks for the input Kevin, most people seemed to have stayed in the Tower. I would love to hear from anyone who has stayed in the older building. Just wondering if the upgrade is worth the extra money.

You're welcome. Unless, we get another free upgrade, that's probably where we'll be Dec. 11. I will update you when we get there. :)

Can someone help me with deciding where to go shopping in Fort Lauderdale when we stop on our B2B cruise? Sawgrass, I think, is too far and would like to find somewhere closer.

Please help - we are on our first leg of the B2B now and we will be at port this Sunday.

Thanks in advance.

The closest mall to the port is Galleria, about a $20 cab ride. It is very nice there.

Thanks for the info Royalcruz. I think we will go there - hope they have a good sale.

You're welcome. There are usually good sales at Macy's and Dillard's dept stores. The mall also has a very nice food court and nice sit-down restaurants. The closest store to the port is Ross Dress for Less on 17th St but I don't care for much of their merchandise and the store is warehouse-like. Some people like it but it depends on what you are used to.

Can you recommend a shuttle or would be better (cheaper) to take a taxi from FLL to Intercontinental hotel on Chopin Ave in Miami for a pre-cruise night? SAS transportation says $15 per person, but for arrivals after 3, they charge the 3 person minimum, which would be 45 bucks. Two people in our party.

Also, how much for taxi from downtown Miami (IC hotel) to POM?

And recommendation for POM to hotel in FLL upon return? Probably use SAS for that since we will just be charged $30 ($15 each) for two people I think...if they'll take us to the FL hotel and not to FLL airport....?

Thanks for advice!

Oh I forgot to mention, it's a brand new all suite hotel. It opened either the end of '09 or early '10. If you google it you'll come up with the website.

I'll try to remember to post about it when we arrive.

We arrived at Cambria Suites, Dania Beach, today. The hotel and rooms look exactly like the pictures on the website. This place is immaculate! Rooms are lovely and comfortable. We just had dinner downstairs in their restaurant. The food was great and reasonable for what you got. DH paid $12 for pork chops and mashed potatoes. He got 3 pork chops and a serving of mashed potatoes enough to feed him and myself. Chops aren't real thick but they were excellent with no waste. Their menu is limited but what they have is very good. We're going to try the $8. breakfast buffet in the morning so I'll update on that too. We spent the late afternoon by their pool and jacuzzi both were comfortably warm and clean. They provided large pool towels by the door also. It isn't a large pool but it's nice. Any questions, please ask and I'll try to provide the answers.

BTW the wifi in the rooms work great and was very easy to get in to.

Edited by JMS920

I've got reservations at the Cambria for Jan 21st before my Oasis cruise on the 22nd. I know they have a shuttle from the airport, and I think they have a shuttle to the port.

If you get a chance, can you inquire how much is a taxi to the port for a family of 3? My experience is that the shuttles typically are overbooked and don't leave early enough in the morning for my taste.

Have a great cruise.

We arrived at Cambria Suites, Dania Beach, today. The hotel and rooms look exactly like the pictures on the website. This place is immaculate! Rooms are lovely and comfortable. We just had dinner downstairs in their restaurant. The food was great and reasonable for what you got. DH paid $12 for pork chops and mashed potatoes. He got 3 pork chops and a serving of mashed potatoes enough to feed him and myself. Chops aren't real thick but they were excellent with no waste. Their menu is limited but what they have is very good. We're going to try the $8. breakfast buffet in the morning so I'll update on that too. We spent the late afternoon by their pool and jacuzzi both were comfortably warm and clean. They provided large pool towels by the door also. It isn't a large pool but it's nice. Any questions, please ask and I'll try to provide the answers.

BTW the wifi in the rooms work great and was very easy to get in to.

If you haven't left yet, can you find out if they offer free parking for the duration of a 7-night cruise? I'm still researching pre-cruise hotels for our Allure cruise next September.

We will be in Fort Lauderdale pre-cruise from Friday, December 17th to Tuesday, December 21st. We are looking for tours, activities, things to do while enjoying the city.

We know we want to take an airboat ride in the Everglades. Suggestions for tour operators?

We have tickets for "My Mother's Italian/My Father's Jewish/I'm home for the Holidays". Any other theatre recommendations?

We like to try restaurants of all kinds (from named Chef's to small local favorites) any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Some great restaurants in Fort Lauderdale are Casa D'Angelo, Johnny V, 3030, and Casablanca Cafe. In Lauderdale by the Sea we enjoy Village Grille (great Boston Baked Scrod) and Aruba. There is a nice Houston's on the intracoastal in Pompano that has indoor/outdoor waterfront dining. Wherever you go be patient with the service, as it is now high season and busy.

Cats is playing at Broward Center for Performing Arts and Nutcracker is at Parker Playhouse.