Fins & Flippers NO MORE!!!

pjtulsa

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone have any idea when the turnover might take place? We will be in Roatan early January and are hoping it's still "privately" owned. :rolleyes:

I don't think there have been any formal announcements.

When we were there in Sept. the employees said they were working on required improvements that needed to be completed before the 1st of the year...:confused:

If you really want to go to Fins & Flippers make your reservation with them so you have the price confirmed and "IF" Carnival does add it as an Excursion you will be locked in at a lower price or you can cancel if you choose.

Enjoy Roatan,

We are still planning to go despite the price increase. We are mainly going there because we love to snorkle and like what they have to offer in regards to the ocean access. I booked today to hopefully avoid and other price increases.

We are still planning to go despite the price increase. We are mainly going there because we love to snorkle and like what they have to offer in regards to the ocean access. I booked today to hopefully avoid and other price increases.

Well...it has been a week and no response from my reservation request. Maybe the whole place is really no more?

Well...it has been a week and no response from my reservation request. Maybe the whole place is really no more?

I had been communicating with her for a group reservation and she stopped responding - we leave tomorrow so no go - I am hoping the new port will be open

Another good choice is the Mayan Princess,,, its Beautiful.

They only issue so many day passes depending on their hotel guest numbers but if head there first to buy the $10 pass and then do your other sightseeing if any you will be good to go. I have read that a taxi is $20 each way?

Have a Great time.

We went on November 13th and it was really great place to be, we happen to leave the cruise ship and walk where the independent operators were. They have a new name, and were offering the price for 30 for one and 1/2 off for the other, so we paid 45 total. Someone took us to the boat and within 5 minutes we were on the Island that was really beautiful. We talked to Cindy who I guess heads the operation, at the time we arrived it poured, but then it started to clear up. We saw sea lions being fed and trained. Then we went to the beach and I started to snorkel. Cindy had said that you could go out to the pier and snorkel, which I did, and two teenages were their to help. One stayed in a small boat in case anyone was not doing well, the other took us out to where the reef dropped to over 80 feet. Later we went to the pool, where they had loads of chairs around the pool, and lots of tables, chairs, and umbrella's for whoever needed to use them...since the day wasn't nice, no one was around the Island, so we really had it all to ourself. Would I go back again, you bet, would I pay more, you bet....j

We went on November 13th and it was really great place to be, we happen to leave the cruise ship and walk where the independent operators were. They have a new name, and were offering the price for 30 for one and 1/2 off for the other, so we paid 45 total....................So Would I go back again, you bet, would I pay more, you bet....j

Thanks for great review. We are still trying to decide what to do in this port and this sounds like the makings of an awesome day.

I just checked their website and the posted rate is $30.00 pp (adult). You got a great deal in my books!

Just to let the above post who checked the web site about the 30.00 per person, I also checked before I left and it was 50.00 per person, and then when we got off the Legend, and went by the Independent Booths, they were offering it for 30 and half for the second person, 45 total. We will not commit and pay with credit card before we leave the States. We would rather pay in cash with US money when we know that we will be at the port in question. The owner of this resort also owns Anthony's Key. The resort is kept very clean, with workers raking the sand, and picking up leaves that fall. Grounds looked great, and pool area had really nice pool furniture.

Well they finally responded and confirmed my reservation and the $50.00pp price! I am sending the e-mail back as it is now on their website as $30.00 for 2010. When we get there I will see what the price is at the pier and go the cheaper route.

Well they finally responded and confirmed my reservation and the $50.00pp price! I am sending the e-mail back as it is now on their website as $30.00 for 2010. When we get there I will see what the price is at the pier and go the cheaper route.

Cindy responded back that they reduced the price last week to $30.00 and that it would be the rate for 2010. Perhaps the Carnival deal fell through or they were not getting the numbers they had thought at $50.00pp. I am very happy that I now have the $30pp rate locked in!

Here is what is posted as of today...

2009 - 2010 Rates

Price a Roatan Shore Excursion to Maya Key

$30.00 per adult

$20.00 per child

Maya Key Includes:

Water shuttle transport

Use of pool, beaches and lounge chairs

Admission to Art Exhibit Center, Maya Interpretation Center, Mayan Ball Court, Hieroglyphic Stairs and the Artisan Plaza

Tour of the Animal Rescue Center

Restroom facilities

We are leaving this Sunday for our cruise. If I am understanding this correctly, it seems as though I should wait to book the resort to get the BOGO 1/2 off. I wonder how the new carnival port will play into this. Does anyone know before I go?!?:confused::confused:

We are leaving this Sunday for our cruise. If I am understanding this correctly, it seems as though I should wait to book the resort to get the BOGO 1/2 off. I wonder how the new carnival port will play into this. Does anyone know before I go?!?:confused::confused:

At this point you will have to take a taxi over to the old port area. Not sure if they are going to have anyone outside of the new port area trying to get business. Although Cindy did tell me that they have a shop in the new port area called "flip flops and what nots" - not sure what kind of relationship that shop will have will their other businesses, but she told me to check with them to see if a shuttle has been arranged yet or not.

I am also leaving Sunday on the Valor and had planned on going to Maya Key.

I am not sure about your BOGO1/2 off deal. You would have to email them and ask, I guess, to find out if they have anything at the new port for "walk-ins" (for lack of a better word at the moment).

Thanks for your information. I emailed and this is the response from "Cindy":

At this time we do not have any organized transportation from Mahogany Bay to Maya Key. The folks that arrived this week has been catching a taxi outside of the cruise ship dock and letting them know where they wanted to go, Maya Key/Fins n Flipper (Coxen Hole/cruise ship dock). It's about a 10-15 minute ride.

Yes we are working on transportation, but nothing has evolved as of yet. The new dock is making it a little tough on us independent tour operators.

You don't have to make a reservation to come to Maya Key, but if you are interested next week upon your arrival, you can check in at our store "Flip Flops and What Nots" to see if any transportation has been organized at that time.

Not sure what I am going to do at this point. I really want to Zipline anyways and from everything I have read so far, this is the only port where it is talked about.

Hi all -

we were at Maya Key Last week and it was wonderful. I think we were the last time the Valor was docking at Coxen Hole. We were given their new rate of $30 for adults and $20 for kids. You really can't beat the day there!

Cindy is the nicest woman in the world and really made it a great day. There were maybe 35 people on the island and our group of 17 decided it was pure heaven! She assured me that they are not turning into a Carnival excursion and they will continue to have the same low level crowds.

Here is a snippet from my Valor review about our day in Roatan.

Roatan was by far our favorite port. At the beginning of the week, Tex announced we would dock at Mahogany Bay but then they found out it still wasn’t ready and we didn’t dock there. So we decided to talk to Maya Key Resort (Fins and Flippers) They have readjusted their prices and it is now $30 an adult and $20 a child. It was worth every penny! We went to their booth at the pier and then they walked us around to their boat. They took us and several crew members over to the island. It was a short ride and the Valor was always in our view.

I can’t describe how beautiful the island is. The snorkeling was great. The reef is awesome and there is literally a drop off where you feel like you hit the edge of earth and there is just pure blackness. They have a snorkeling guide who rides around in a kayak and he took the kids and adults for a ride in his kayak. He took my husband out to the dropoff and then let him snorkel back. There were maybe 30 people on the island and it was so relaxing. There are sand fleas so bring your bugspray – it was mostly a problem for the kids who were playing on the edge of the water.

There is an island tour – which my mom did and then took the rest of us up to the Mayan ruins for a tour with her. This was great for the kids to get a snapshot of the ruins without taking the whole tour. While there one of the workers asked us if we had seen the monkeys. We had not been there yet – so he walked us down there. They were very friendly and one of them loves Velcro. He played with my nephews Velcro sandals for about 5 minutes and at one point discovered the Velcro on his swimsuit and undid it and then reached in his pocket. The kids loved this!

The pool and bar area is really nice as well and the drink prices were reasonable!

They also have stingrays and sea lions that they are training for guest interactions and they hope to someday allow people in the water with the stingrays.

I can’t say enough about Maya Key and if you are looking for a relaxing day away from the crowds – this is the perfect day. In fact, I had a hard time getting my husband back on the Valor!

We rode the boat back to the port and they dropped some of us at the port and some at the first pier where we walked through. There were lots of young kids selling bracelets for a $1 – we bought a lot of these! The boys picked up Roatan soccer shirts for $10 each and the girls got their hair braded for $10.

We just got back. We went to Foster's Beach..absolutely gorgeous! We walked next door, out of curiousity, and checked out The Mayan Princess. Same beach but they have a pool (which we also checked out as my kids jumped into it before I knew!), ..the beach is beautiful.

Just returned from our cruise on the Valor last week. We were able to walk out of the MBCC area, down the road and out to where the other tour guides/taxis are and there was a man holding a Maya Key sign. While I'm sure he was looking for new business (and we had already made reservations there...) he so kindly helped us find a ride over to Coxen Hole and Maya Key. We were the only two from the Valor that went over that day. It was like having our own tropical paradise. NCL Spirit was in the old port due to being rerouted from Guatemala due to a bus line strike maybe? so there were a few from that ship as well. I doubt that it could ever feel crowded. We walked around to see all the animals, took a walk through their mayan ruins replicas, which are actually exhibits inside. Took a dip in the pool, spent some time snorkeling and had some very tasty frozen drinks.

Inside the cruise center, the taxi drivers wanted $40 for the 2 of us. Outside the gates it was 1/2 that. They do not have posted rates for taxis, they have a sign that shows the different zones and it says to negotiate the price with the driver. Odd to me that a ride within the same zone would be similar in price to a ride that crossed over one or more zones. I think that zone map is BS.

I know that others from our ship had tried to get over there, but the taxi drivers were looking at them like they had 3 heads when they asked to go to Maya Key. Maybe you have to say "Coxen Hole", maybe you have to call it "fins & flippers" I don't know, but it was worth the confusion of getting there that's for sure!

I emailed Cindy regarding a booth for purchasing Maya Key excursion at the Mahogany Bay port. She replied that there is no booth but said that there is an employee at the pier at gate #2. There is organized transportation for $10/person each way.

I am assuming that the employee can not sell the excursion but just transport people.

I emailed Cindy regarding a booth for purchasing Maya Key excursion at the Mahogany Bay port. She replied that there is no booth but said that there is an employee at the pier at gate #2. There is organized transportation for $10/person each way.

I am assuming that the employee can not sell the excursion but just transport people.

Here is what it says on the mayakeyroatan.com website for transportation from the new dock:

Directions from the Mahogany Bay Cruise Pier

Maya Key is located only 4 miles west of Mahogany Bay and just a 10 minute car ride will get you from Mahogany Bay to our water shuttle dock. Our water shuttle will then take you across the bay to Maya Key in just 5 minutes.

At the Mahogany Bay Cruise Pier, turn left upon leaving the main walkway and head toward the exit tunnel at the north-east end of the plaza. You’ll then take a short walk up to the main gate to meet a Maya Key representative, whom will direct you to your transportation. Bus or Taxi transportation to Maya Key is pre-negotiated at $10 per person (round trip) and should be paid directly to the driver.

Archived