Skagway Avis

LSGDRG

I called Skagway Avis and made a car reservation earlier this year for 2010. When I called the local Avis office in Skagway today, I was told that the reservation should not have been made for next year and that I should call back after 10/1/09. At that time, I can verify if my existing reservation is still valid. I was also told by the manager that they could not quote the rental price for 2010. Has anyone else been told this? I have never previously made a car reservation, received a confirmation number, and then been told that my reservation may not be valid. Has anyone experienced problems renting vehicles from Skagway Avis?

LSGDRG

We rented a car in June and Avis did a great job. The office was small, but very efficient. The cars were in good shape and the turn in was as good as any airport check in.

Wait until October and make your reservation. Well worth it.

We just returned a few days ago from our cruise on the Pearl and rented a car from Avis on our day in Skagway.

Fortunately we did not have any issues but that was not the case for many other people in line with us.

Avis did not show some of the reservations that people said they had made and they did not have enough cars for everyone.

My advice is as it gets closer print out a copy of your confirmation and make sure you have it with you. I was glad I did and as I said we were very happy with the car and exploring on our own.

FYI...we were given a new Camry which was great for the four of us. Also, we printed off Murray's Guide prior to our cruise and it was great.

We were one of the disgruntled Avis renters from the Pearl last week! We had a reservation since Jan, 2009 and when we got there at 9 am they said they didn't have a car for us (and many others), even though they had our reservation. Also note, if you show up 1 hour after your reserved time, they will also most likely not have a car for you. We were only 30 minutes past our designated pick up time of 8:30 and they said they didn't have a car for us. There were plenty of cars on the lot, so after much persistance they rented us one with mechanical problems. I rent cars a lot and this is the first problem I've ever had renting! But usually it's not with Avis.

We were one of the disgruntled Avis renters from the Pearl last week! We had a reservation since Jan, 2009 and when we got there at 9 am they said they didn't have a car for us (and many others), even though they had our reservation. Also note, if you show up 1 hour after your reserved time, they will also most likely not have a car for you. We were only 30 minutes past our designated pick up time of 8:30 and they said they didn't have a car for us. There were plenty of cars on the lot, so after much persistance they rented us one with mechanical problems. I rent cars a lot and this is the first problem I've ever had renting! But usually it's not with Avis.

You poor thing! I felt terrible for all of the people having problems that day. We saw some families get turned away. It's not easy to just make other plans on the spot like that.

You poor thing! I felt terrible for all of the people having problems that day. We saw some families get turned away. It's not easy to just make other plans on the spot like that.

You would think if you have a reservation and are on time they would have a car for you!

Archived