Anyone been to Puerto Chiapas,Mexico?

bicoastalbabe

I was wondering the same thing. We are on Regent Panama Canal 12/28/09. Some of our free choices are; Izapa Ruins and Chocolate City, Chiapas through the Ages or Mangrove Boat Ride and Bird Watching. Any thoughts or comments are welcome. Thanks in advance!

• 3 weeks later...

There is nada at the port. I really mean nada. HAL offers a trip to the nearest town and those that went said there wasn't much to do there. The locals come down to the port where they have erected a pavillion with local crafts and entertainment. There is also a food pavillion but I didn't see anyone from the ship going there probably in fear of Montezuma's revenge. The locals danced for hours along the pier changing clothes for each dance. This is a very poor area of Mex. and often forgotten by the country's government. There was quite a bit of civil unrest about ten yrs ago and the people there have a favorite hero, forgot his name, but there are dolls around that represent him with a bandana around his face. Nearby the pier is a very poor fishing village that I doubt you would visit.

• 1 month later...
There is nada at the port. I really mean nada. HAL offers a trip to the nearest town and those that went said there wasn't much to do there. The locals come down to the port where they have erected a pavillion with local crafts and entertainment. There is also a food pavillion but I didn't see anyone from the ship going there probably in fear of Montezuma's revenge. The locals danced for hours along the pier changing clothes for each dance. This is a very poor area of Mex. and often forgotten by the country's government. There was quite a bit of civil unrest about ten yrs ago and the people there have a favorite hero, forgot his name, but there are dolls around that represent him with a bandana around his face. Nearby the pier is a very poor fishing village that I doubt you would visit.

Did you go to the Izapa ruins or hear from anyone who did? Was it worth the trip? Thanks for you help.:)

Archived