using gps in Europe

att

Booked on NCL Gem in Nov and plan on doing sightseeing on our own in Malta,Cannes and Barcelona. We have a Garmin Nuvi 750 GPS and want to know if anyone has downloaded European maps for walking directions? Has it been accurate and easy to use? Where did you download maps from? Thanks as usual.

I use Destinator and had no problems in fact while driving in Sitges I turned it on and handily got through a maze of one way streets to emerge back to the main road.

Check with Garmin, I know that they have maps.

We own a Garmin Nuvi 670 which is a model that has both North American and Europe maps...and have used ours in Europe on many ocassions. Our primary use is for driving, and it works petty much like it does in the USA although we have encountered a few errors in Italy. As to using it for walking, we have done that only a few times and it worked fine. To be honest, we usually do not use it for walking because it is somewhat of a pain to carry the thing around since the antenna must be in the open position which precludes us from keeping the unit in a pocket. We did find it very useful one day when we were trying to walk from the port in Civitavecchia to Europcar and the GPS was helpful in finding the office.

Hank

That is why I like my blue tooth receiver (smaller than a cell phone) paired with a pocket pc. I have navigated through Naples looking pretty much like I knew where I was (with my "girlfriend" giving vocal instructions through ear buds)

That is why I like my blue tooth receiver (smaller than a cell phone) paired with a pocket pc. I have navigated through Naples looking pretty much like I knew where I was (with my "girlfriend" giving vocal instructions through ear buds)

I envy you that! The only negative with the Nuvi 670 is that it has a relatively large folding antenna (folks into the back) that must be put in the up postion to activate the unit. With that antenna sticking out, it makes it difficult to carry in a shirt pocket although I guess it would fit into my wife's purse. Our unit also has Blue Tooth, but until I saw your post it never occurred to me to use that in combination with my cell phone. Great idea! Or course I could also just plug in earbuds directly to my GPS (it has a headphone jack) but there is still that darn Garmin antenna

Hank

Archived