Scuba Instruction for DH while I'm at Dolphin Disc

icemom

My husband has never scuba'd (other than brief lessons in a pool, no certifications) and would like to do some beginner stuff while I play with the dolphins. I have seached the dolphin discovery site and cannot find anything on beginning divers. Does anyone know if they offer such a thing?

We're also going to Belize, Costa Maya and Grand Cayman - any ideas for his beginning adventure?

We're headed out on our first cruise 2/5............Spendour...........can't wait!! .

Thanks!!

Maureen

While Bruce is right, this time of year is rather busy, for example our dive shop, located in Chankanaab park, often fills up this time of year, while we usually can accomodate any walk-ups, I think in "high-season" a reservation might be in order!

Happy Bubbles!

Laura

Hey Laura, do you think you could post any contacts for the dive op's at Chankanaab so if someone wanted to make reservations they could. I'm not sure which dive op's are there, or I would name them and try to provide links myself.

Thanks everyone for your wonderufll replies! I have to say this group is great!

Laura, If you could post some contacts, that would be great, as hubby would most certainly make a reservation.

Thanks again,

Maureen

icemom,

we highly recommend "El Clavado" dive shop at Chakanaab. It is in the middle of the three dive shops near the restraunt and shwoer facilities. Miguel Fuentes is great and probably one of the most patient dive masters we have ever met!!!. We did our intro to scuba with him and loved it so much we came back and are now certified!!. we were back in Coz last Feb. and dove with him again.

Our little shop there is called "Chankanaab Sports" and is staffed by Felipe and Marcella, the manager and head instructor specifically. Since it's such a remote location, there's no phone, nor web site. We're planning on adding them to ours when we get our snappy new webpage for the new year, but that's still in the works.

Maureen - what I'd really recommend is if your husband has the time available before you cruise, and since he already has an idea what scuba's about, he goes ahead and gets his full certification before your trip so he can really take full advantage of being in one of the premier dive spots in this hemisphere!

It's only 2 classroom and 2 pool sessions to get pre-certified, and then he can do his open-water dives while on the cruise for his c-card.

It's also a lot safer for him if he's more familiar with all the physics of diving and emergency procedures/etc. if he's fully certified, rather than just "resort" certified.

I'd also recommend that no matter what he decides to do, he does some research into dive operators at PADI's website.

Archived