Progresso

appleuser

Any suggestions on what to do in Progresso or what to avoid? Will be there in August.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!!!

You came to the right place to ask questions, to be sure, but this question is best asked in the Progreso/Merida ports of call forum!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=154

I'm sure you'll get a bunch of great answers.

My favorite activity is to hang out on the beach and drink two dollar killer margaritas... but that's just me.

There's some fantastic restaurants, my favorite being the Le St. Bonnet. Great place, plentiful food at super prices!!!

:)

I love Progreso!

Once you take the free shuttle bus down the 5 mile pier, it will drop you off at the open-air market. There is a $2 double-decker bus that picks up at the market. It gives a quick, maybe 15-20 minute tour of the town and drops you back at the market. It helps you see where everything is before striking out walking. Everthing, including the beach is within walking distance.

Get a massage on the beach. Bargain with them on the price. (It helps keep it low for the rest of us!) We paid $10 each for a 45 minute massage. Some larger groups got it for even less.

To make sure we didn't get into a time crunch, we went directly to the pier shuttle (no shopping yet), took the $2 double decker tour (no shopping yet), walked to the beach for refreshments and massage, lunch at Buddy's, then shopped our way back to the market and then shopped in the market. Some good stuff--mostly same ol' same ol'. Again don't be afraid to bargain with them. A blouse they were asking $40 for, we got for $20. If I had more time, probably could have given even less. I don't want to deny them a living, but don't want prices driven up so much either. The main drawback was the agressiveness of the vendors. Not quite as bad as the "fire ants" in Jamaica, but nearly.

We then shuttled back down pier, then shopped the pier stores right next to the ship. Didn't want to get caught missing the last shuttle. Fantasy passengers were leaving 1 hour after us, so you couldn't judge by the crowd when it was time to leave.

Sadly, Progresso this year was a far cry from the sleepy little fishing town it was a year ago. Waaayyy too many folks pestering you to buy something--even on the beach. But just wave them away, kick back and enjoy!

We liked Progresso too. Very old-world Mexico feel to it. We walked around town then went to an all inclusive resort called Reef Club Beach Resort. This excursion was offered by Carnival but we booked at the dock and saved a few bucks. The ride out to the resort was interesting in itself! They sold beers on the bus for a buck, and the driver even drank one too! You won't see that in the U.S.! Don't worry, he didn't get drunk; you're safe. It was more to prove a point I think. They are very friendly in Progresso. Here are some pics from the resort:

Resortpoolleft-x-1.jpg

Resortpool-x-1.jpg

Here's how the ocean and beach looks:

ResortTimandConnie-x-1.jpg

In town, Connie had a seranade:

Progresosong-x-1.jpg

Here's how your ship will look from the end of the pier:

Progresopier1-x-2.jpg\

WAY out there is your ship! Here's a closer look:

Progresopier2-x-2.jpg

We liked Progresso too. Very old-world Mexico feel to it. We walked around town then went to an all inclusive resort called Reef Club Beach Resort. This excursion was offered by Carnival but we booked at the dock and saved a few bucks. The ride out to the resort was interesting in itself! They sold beers on the bus for a buck, and the driver even drank one too! You won't see that in the U.S.! Don't worry, he didn't get drunk; you're safe. It was more to prove a point I think. They are very friendly in Progresso. Here are some pics from the resort:

Resortpoolleft-x-1.jpg

Resortpool-x-1.jpg

Progresosong-x-1.jpg

Progresopier1-x-2.jpg\

Progresopier2-x-2.jpg

OK.....now I have a reason to go back.

Resortpoolleft-x-1.jpg

Resortpool-x-1.jpg

Progresosong-x-1.jpg

Progresopier1-x-2.jpg\

Progresopier2-x-2.jpg

Hey guys, nice pics. I take it you would recommend the all inclusive resort? In the past we just hung out along the beach a(right around where you took the pic back to the pier) and some young enterprising young man ran beers, frozen drinks and food out to us from the places across the street.

Hey guys, nice pics. I take it you would recommend the all inclusive resort? In the past we just hung out along the beach a(right around where you took the pic back to the pier) and some young enterprising young man ran beers, frozen drinks and food out to us from the places across the street.

Most definitely! We thought about the beach at the end of the pier but wanted to see what the all inclusive was all about. I'm glad we did! It was blistering hot in town when we left but when we got to the resort it felt 15 degrees cooler! I have no idea why! Everyone commented on it.

They had a buffet set out for you; eat all you want.

All the drinks you want!

On the ride out and back the driver pointed out one of Hugh Heffner's houses on the beach! No bunnies were spotted though! :(

On the ride you will see some of the poorest living conditions you've ever witnessed, too. There are some "towns" along the side of the road that look so very poor. You really feel for those people. Then, within a few miles you come to mansions. Nothing in-between.

Anyway, yes, we'd recommend the all inclusive if you go to Progresso! :):)

Most definitely! We thought about the beach at the end of the pier but wanted to see what the all inclusive was all about. I'm glad we did! It was blistering hot in town when we left but when we got to the resort it felt 15 degrees cooler! I have no idea why! Everyone commented on it.

All the drinks you want!

On the ride out and back the driver pointed out one of Hugh Heffner's houses on the beach! No bunnies were spotted though! :(

On the ride you will see some of the poorest living conditions you've ever witnessed, too. There are some "towns" along the side of the road that look so very poor. You really feel for those people. Then, within a few miles you come to mansions. Nothing in-between.

Thanks, will def. have to try it out. Been to Progresso twice, need to book something for their again, you pics made me itch for it! Maybe there will be a new ship heading there soon!

All the drinks you want!

Is this a 4yo kid friendly place. This is our annual father-daughter cruise. I want to just relax at a beach and let her have some fun. I was wondering about the all inclusive resorts.

Is this a 4yo kid friendly place. This is our annual father-daughter cruise. I want to just relax at a beach and let her have some fun. I was wondering about the all inclusive resorts.

When we were there it was not crowded and we saw no one over doing it. In fact, except for our van that took us there we saw very few other people! It was QUITE laid back, but that was our experience. Who knows how it is from one day to the next.

There were kids there. The pools are fantastic! I'd say you'd be safe taking the kids there.

They have a kiddie area with plenty of toys next to the pool. We didn't have many people there and noone got rowdy. They also had a short tour of some small ruins nearby called Xcambo. There is also miles of beach if you want to get away from it all. It is well worth the trip.

Archived