Merida Question

lablover61

I am sorry I can't give you a name. We ate at a resturant about 2 blocks from the Cathedral of San IIdelfonso that had a court yard across from the street. As you look from the church you can see trees in front of it. That's how it was described to us and we found it. It was delicious. Serving were huge. Three of us split two plate.

Any suggestions where to eat in Merida in the downtown tourist , bus depot area ? Thanks !

Up the street from the bus depot area (on the same side of the street) was a local bakery. They had the most wonderful items! I purchased a fruit and custard filled pastry for under $1.

For lunch, the bus station is very near the local market area. We ate at one of the local vendors. The vendor seating was packed and we had to eat across in the extra seating area.

2801693500100919633S600x600Q85.jpg

I had the Salbute with a tea. The hot sauce was very hot!! I was still feeling the burn hours later!! I only wish that it was sold in a bottle to take with me!!

2405800920100919633S600x600Q85.jpg

I have heard many wonderful things about La Chaya Maya on Calle 62, just a block from the Plaza Grande. Yucatecan food.

The hot sauce someone above tried is habanero chile sauce and you can easily find it at any small or large supermarket, including the OXXO convenience store in Progreso. Look for the El Yucateco or La Anita brands - these are local companies. Great, inexpensive gift for foodies back home.

:)

For our tour of Merida , we are going to take the suggestions of either Mr. Lawson or hdawson from one of their earlier postings. I actually printed their suggestions ( i.e.- Take the bus from Progresso etc.) ! It maybe helpful because we will have our 16 year son with us who is a fourth year Spanish student. He is fluent in reading , writing and speaking Spanish.

Archived