Progresso or Cozumel Ruins??

rangerdog

There are several Mayan Ruin tours in Cozumel and Progresso. Which one is the best tour for the money? Thanks so much

I'm not aware of any major ruiins on the island of Cozumel. Progreso offers major and moderate ruins, Uxmal being my favorite.

Cozumel has 2 small ruin sites - San Gervasio and El Cedral. Most cruise ships offer tours to Tulum from Cozumel. Progreso is the closest port to Chichen Itza, Uxmal and Dzibilchaltun. There is also the small site Xcambo very close to Progreso that is included on many of the combo tours.

Check out Auto Progreso for reasonable tour prices in Progreso.

Your best bet for a Mayan ruin experience is Uxmal, reachable from Progreso. The driving time is reasonable, the ruins are awe-inspiring and accessible, the crowds are much smaller and there is plenty of climbing and also shade available. You can walk around behind the pyramids and structures and see more buried in the jungle, whereas as Chichen Itza for example, EVERYTHING is roped off and closed and definitely no climbing at all.

While Tulum is impressive the small ruins on the island of Cozumel are just little outposts and would be most interesting to someone who is a Mayan history buff.

Hope this helps!

I will be traveling on my first cruise and want to get the most out of the excursion experiences. I will be cruising the western side with ports at Cozumel and Progresso. I understand that the Progresso excursion is the better of the two. But I see people mentioning the auto progreso. What is it and how do you research it? What other excursions do you guys recommend?

I will be traveling on my first cruise and want to get the most out of the excursion experiences. I will be cruising the western side with ports at Cozumel and Progresso. I understand that the Progresso excursion is the better of the two. But I see people mentioning the auto progreso. What is it and how do you research it? What other excursions do you guys recommend?

You can google Auto Progreso or just go to www dot autoprogreso dot com

Your best bet for a Mayan ruin experience is Uxmal, reachable from Progreso. The driving time is reasonable, the ruins are awe-inspiring and accessible, the crowds are much smaller and there is plenty of climbing and also shade available. You can walk around behind the pyramids and structures and see more buried in the jungle, whereas as Chichen Itza for example, EVERYTHING is roped off and closed and definitely no climbing at all.

While Tulum is impressive the small ruins on the island of Cozumel are just little outposts and would be most interesting to someone who is a Mayan history buff.

Hope this helps!

I'm a brand new lurker, trying to decide between Uxmal and Chichen Itza. We were thinking the longer, more expensive one was better, but I am beginning to lean toward Uxmal, especially since this is all so new to us. Thanks William, OP, and others for your good questions and answers.

You will love Uxmal, no matter what company you use to get there. Chichen you can visit when you come back for a longer vacation to Merida! Chichen is more expensive just because it's a longer distance and there are tolls to pay on the highway there.

My girlfriend and I just got home from a cruise with stops at Progreso and Cozumel. After much online research, we chose to have Ralf with William Lawson take us to Uxmal, and I'm glad that we did. Uxmal exceeded my already high expectations. My girlfriend has been to both Chichen Itxa and Uxmal and liked Uxmal better. Ralf did an excellent job too. It felt like we were having a friend show us around town. With the short time that we had at the port, it was also nice to be able to set our own pace, leave when we wanted, and stop where we wanted. That left us enough time to stop for a wonderful lunch at Ochil hacienda on the way back from Uxmal.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived