Newport RI, Martha's Vineyard, Halifax NS, Boston

jo-v

On your own - what did you do or are you doing in the following ports:

Newport RI, Martha's Vineyard, Halfax NS, and Boston. With regard to Boston, we are looking at ship excursion to Salem. Anyone done this?

Thank you for your comments and help!

Martha's Vineyard., thought we would ride the carousel and walk to the gingerbread houses.

In New Port we are planning on touring the Breakers mansion. and then walk a portion of the cliffs.

Halifax, we plan on touring the citadel . We hope to be there for the noon cannon. After that we want to explore the public gardens. We'll spend the remaining of our time on the board walk.

Nothing so far for Boston. We may use that as a ship day.

• 3 weeks later...

When we were in Newport in 2002, we took the local trolley (info at the visitor's center) to the mansion area and then walked the cliff walk. Since we had been in mansions before, we wandered thru the town, taking the trolley to the Lawn tennis museum and then to the Jewish synagogue. We wandered from there, along the town streets, and I was transfixed by the doors! It was our first trip to the NE area and I loved all the gingerbread on the houses, the old cemetery and the churches.

This time, I think we will take the local bus to a nearby town and see the Blithwilde Mansion/gardens (don't know if I spelled that correctly). Hopefully it won't be as crowded as the Newport ones, and it will give us a broader view of the area.

Halifax: got a taxi to take us to Peggy's Cove, Titanic cemetery and the Swiss Air memorial, then wandered the boardwalk. This time we will go to the citadel and "DO" it. Hubby tends to take all day at these things :rolleyes:.

Boston:we took the hop on/off trolley and did the town. It was pouring rain so didn't see too much. This time we will hopefully - take the freedom trail walk and see how far we get. (Bus to town from the dock/terminal)

Can you tell we never do ship tours?? Too much time wasted, waiting for other people...

For anyone in Boston, stop and get a bite to eat, you won't be sorry. The North End, which is close to Quincy Market, has the best Italian food and Italian pastries. Also, as you're touring the city, stop anywhere for great, fresh seafood -- everything from casual chowder, loster rolls and fish&chips to fancier, sit down establishments. Ask anyone you see for directions, they'll be glad to oblige.

Newport is my favorite place in the US...my husband and I visit often as it is just 4 hours from here. Just wandering around is what we usually do. We have seen many of the mansions. I have been through Blithewold...it is OK. If you want a different kind of house tour, try Astor's Beechwood. When you go to visit you are greeted by "servants and family members" - actors that give the tour. Belcourt Castle is also very interesting. I love the chandelier there - twin on the one in the Kremlin. It is also considered very haunted.

I haven't yet toured Doris Duke's Rough Point. That is in a lovely spot....tours go from the visitors center. The visitor's center is nearby where the cruise ships come in. You can get any tickets you want there....that is where the Jitney buses originate also.

My favorite place for chowder is the Black Pearl on Bowen's (?) wharf. And favorite dessert is in the Red Parrot on Thames Street.

(My next visit to Newport will be in September - my son gets married in Auburn Ma and we are going to Newport for a few days afterwards - to relax. We generally bring bread for the seagulls and go to Brenton Point to feed them - then fall asleep listening to the waves and smelling the salt air!)

Archived