Private Tour Guide for group

dedle

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
We just booked a private tour with Yucatan Travel. There is on online reservation form for up to 10 people per van. Here is the link:

http://www.mayanroutes.com/tours/progreso/prochi.html

Don't know whether you will check back in or not but how did this go?

I just found his website and sent him an email about a private tour. I then did a search on Yucatan Travel here to see if anyone else has used him. It's always hard to book something when you don't know them or have not heard anything about them. He seems like a real honest and nice man.

I just booked their Chichen Itza/Balamkanche tour for February 1st while we're on the Voyager. I'll be more than happy to let you know how well it goes when we return. Juan does reply to every email I sent to him in a timely manner. We received our receipt that told us where to meet our tour guide and what time to meet him/her. I'm very excited to get away from the ratrace that the ships excursion would be and it will be worth the few extra dollars more than the ship was charging.

OK, I promise to write up a review of that tour on this board. I'm not sure if you're interested, but we also booked privately in Roatan through Boddentours. You get a private driver for the day to take you wherever you want to go on the island, including beach time and snorkeling.

OK, I promise to write up a review of that tour on this board. I'm not sure if you're interested, but we also booked privately in Roatan through Boddentours. You get a private driver for the day to take you wherever you want to go on the island, including beach time and snorkeling.

Thank you, I appreciate that. I'll check them out. Don't you just love these boards? I never make any decisions without consulting them first. :rolleyes::D

Hello I am Rhea and my husband Jay live and work in Galveston. We are on the Voyager of the Sea's 2/24/2008. The ship was grand when she came to our port it was a cold morning. I also want to go to Uxmal, booked trip from ship. Reading all your post to get some ideas.

Thanks for any help

Hello I am Rhea and my husband Jay live and work in Galveston. We are on the Voyager of the Sea's 2/24/2008. The ship was grand when she came to our port it was a cold morning. I also want to go to Uxmal, booked trip from ship. Reading all your post to get some ideas.

Thanks for any help

Hi Rhea. Since you are on the same cruise as I am have you been to our roll call forum yet? Sorry if I don't remember, there are a lot of people on there. I will let you know what I find out from Yucatan Travel. I looked at the ship's tour too, but thought with all the time in port I might like to see Merida too. From what I have read Uxmal seems to be a good choice.

You seem to have a great wealth of knowledge about the area. We're trying to figure out the best mode of transportation to get us from Progreso to Merida? We are a group of 6 & we are only in port from 9-5. Any suggestions? TIA.

tisabee. When the courtesy bus drops you in Progreso, just ask directions to the AutoProgreso bus terminal. About 3 blocks. $3.00 round trip. The Merida bus terminal is three blocks from the central plaza (el centro) in the middle of the historical area. Enjoy.

tisabee. When the courtesy bus drops you in Progreso, just ask directions to the AutoProgreso bus terminal. About 3 blocks. $3.00 round trip. The Merida bus terminal is three blocks from the central plaza (el centro) in the middle of the historical area. Enjoy.

Do you feel this would be a safe option for 6 women in their 40's? Our Spanish is dicey at best.

Thanks again.

Very, very safe and clean. A friend vacationed in Merida with her 8 yr old grand daughter and the little girl made new friends every day. This is not a border town, nor Cancun/Cozumel. It's a cosmopolitan city of about a million, the state capitol and home to four universities. Merida does not depend on tourisim for it's existance. If you haven't, checkout http://www.yucatantoday.com

Very, very safe and clean. A friend vacationed in Merida with her 8 yr old grand daughter and the little girl made new friends every day. This is not a border town, nor Cancun/Cozumel. It's a cosmopolitan city of about a million, the state capitol and home to four universities. Merida does not depend on tourisim for it's existance. If you haven't, checkout www.yucatantoday.com

thanks so much for all your help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The problem with the bus to Merida is the time element. We booked a tour for 6 of us through Juan with Yucatan Travel. Our driver was late, we panicked but he did show up. First he took us to see the Mayan Indians working with the huge limestone boulders and then to some of the shops in the center of town. From there we went to the church and to a wonderful Yucatan restaurant for lunch which was fabulous. However, by then, we had run out of time and decided to play it safe and head back to the ship. We arrived at 4 pm as two of the couples wanted to pick up souvenirs at the cruise terminal shops. Our tour price should have included the ruins but there is no way you can see the church, the museum, have lunch, shop and also see the ruins. In Merida, be sure to sample and buy the Anise Liquor. I don't care for licorice but this stuff is divine! We've booked again for next February. We'll again use Yucatan Tours for a private driver insisting they promptly pick us up at 8 am, skip the long lunch and hopefully have time to soak up the city. And in Roatan, absolutely book Victor Bodden's tour. It was the highlight of our cruise. He took us to his private home to see the family's baby one-year old monkey that is as cute and friendly as can be. His family is charming - we were very, very impressed him!

Archived