Progresso Suggestions....

sanermae

I posted this exact question earlier today - scroll down to earlier threads - I definitely said Progreso in the subject line : )

I'm heading out on the Fantasy in April - can't wait! 47 days to go! (well, 49 til the cruise, but we leave for New Orleans in 47!)

Progresso's beach area leaves a bit to be desired, especially if you are trying to compare it to Cozumel.... When we were there in Oct. we took a tour to Uxmal Mayan Ruins.... Pre-arranged a tour and we had a good day to see this historic site....

Others traveled into the city of Merida and did a tour there.... From what we could gather after talking with other cruisers after we set sail from there to Cozumel, Progresso is not the place that you want to try to "wing it".... Study the Progresso board in the port of calls section of CC and see if you can find something that interest you and set your sights on that....

Joey

If you like to "party it up".......Corona Beach......

We are in our mid 20's and did not have our kids with us... From what we heard about the others who went to the ruins, it wasn't worth it.

Im not knockin it at all, just not our cup of tea.. There is a resort place which I cant think of the name, that people were all talking about having had a wonderful time. If you're into the party scene and want to save your cash for Cozumel, I would suggest Corona.. You do however have to get on an overcrowded bus but I think that may be for anywhere you go. Just our experience... Hope this helps.

My husband and I did a 4 day cruise 2 years ago after all the hurricanes and went to Progresso because Cozumel was hit by storm. The most exciting thing is the pier itself...it is the longest manmade pier. There really is not much to do and the beach isn't great. I would stay on board unfortunately. Maybe has changed in 2 years.

If you like archeology, I would go to Dzibichaltun. No, its not as impressive as Uxmal or Chichen Itza, but its only about 30 minutes from the port so you do not spend as much of the day in transit and still have time for a spa special.

You can hire a taxi which will wait for you at the ruins at the pier and then a guide at the ruins. Don't forget to bargain for the guide, particularly if you get there early. Its been a couple of years, but it cost us about $100 for 2 of us (taxi, entry and guide.) It would have been less, but if we shared a van with other passengers, but we ciuldn't because my disabled husband could not get into the van.

• 3 weeks later...
We are going on the Holiday in April. We love Cozumel and will not miss that port, but wonder about Progresso. Is that when we want to enjoy spa services or should we take a tour n Progresso?

I will be on the Holiday in April also. Which day in April are you going?

Sharon

• 2 weeks later...

Archived