Doing it "Old School"

kissnfrogs

:p Yes, I scrapbook "old school" style. I have a million different papers and a billion different embellishments and have been to several conventions. I have the time and the space so I vow to never go digital. I'm going on my first cruise, to the Mexican Riviera, in September and have already ordered and picked up some cruise and Mexico stuff for my book. Now all I need are ideas and inspiration. So if any of you "old school" scrapbookers have some dynamite pages or layouts to share I would love it! Thank you!:o

:p Yes, I scrapbook "old school" style. I have a million different papers and a billion different embellishments and have been to several conventions. I have the time and the space so I vow to never go digital. I'm going on my first cruise, to the Mexican Riviera, in September and have already ordered and picked up some cruise and Mexico stuff for my book. Now all I need are ideas and inspiration. So if any of you "old school" scrapbookers have some dynamite pages or layouts to share I would love it! Thank you!:o

I am also of the *old school* style of scrapbooking. I have been doing more buying that actually scrapping lately though...LOL. I just re-organized, painted, etc. my computer/scrapbook room & I love it!! Hopefully it will inspire me to spend more time in there :)

We are going on our 10th cruise in Jan. but I have only scrapped 2 of them so far. I have been working on my youngest daughters highschool softball book for the past year...finally finished it & it is HUGE!!! Now I have 4 years of college softball coming up :)

Have a great first cruise....which ship are you sailing?

I am also an "old school" scrapbooker! I can not get into digital scrapbooking. To be honest, i don't even like looking at them.

kissnfrog, i live right her is So Ca and i haven't been on a Mexican Riviera cruise. I love the caribbean. I am looking forward to hearing your opinion.

I am also an "old school" scrapbooker! I can not get into digital scrapbooking. To be honest, i don't even like looking at them.

kissnfrog, i live right her is So Ca and i haven't been on a Mexican Riviera cruise. I love the caribbean. I am looking forward to hearing your opinion.

I'll be sure to let you know how it is. I'm not a big digital scrapbook fan either. I think it looks tacky when they add the buttons and embellishments and they're flat on the page, looks too fake for me, I like textures and 3-d effects.

I've done all my scrapbooks the old fashioned way too although I'm handy at digital scrapbboking too. In fact I just created a life preserver and lifejacket to print as embellishments for my next book. I actually just bought myself a printer that will do borderless 12 x 12 so I now get to design my own paper for books which should be a nice touch. I love playing with my Cricut. Here are some pages. Excuse the glare as I used my camera in not too great light...

bon_voyage.jpg

lifejackets.jpg

mommy_son.jpg

on_deck.jpg

formal.jpg

I love the old way too! I actually didn't even start until 2005 when I went of my first Disney Cruise. It HAD to be scrapped! Now I have 1300 Carnival Pride pictures waiting to be done and 1700 Disney cruise and WDW from 2007. (I took 3000 pictures on that trip!) Now I have our first RCL cruise coming up in November and I'm getting the camera ready! I just have to find the time.

I love the website "scrapyourtrip.com". Lots of Mexican Riviera stuff there.

I can't imagine not using all the yummy papers and embellishments...old school for me, please!

I make an album (or 2 :eek:) for each cruise. I make 8x8 album for each of my kids, too (if they were on the cruise). I am way behind because of it!

What I do to make the albums easier is use a coordinating line of paper for the whole cruise. I'm using My Mind's Eye's Bohemia currently. I make sure I have enough to make it through the album or albums.

I get everything together (paper, cardstock, embellishments, rub-ons, etc) before I begin, to make it easy. It makes everything flow so nice. I keep a journal on the cruise, so I can refer to that if needed. I love re-living the cruise while scrapbooking! My DD's love looking at them with me...DS could care less.

Old school here too. I save everything! I throw everything you can imagine into a bag, and when I'am ready to scrape I go throught it. I have used airline tickets as I.D. badges, with pictures of each person in our group. Sign and sail cards, receipts from our fave bar, pesos, tender tickets. Everything! I don't use everything, but who knows how inspiration will hit each person? Then it takes me weeks, and sometimes longer to put it all together.:p Going again in Oct. Hope to get some fresh ideas.

I love scrapbooking my trips. My first cruise is done but now I am waiting on my 800+ pictures to come from snapfish so I can start working on our Alaska cruise. Scrapyoutrip is my favorite place to shop although mousememories.com sometimes has things that SYT doesn't. I am definitely not a digital scrapper as I really like the 3d look and feel. I really like paper tearing and chalk inks to get the feel for nature photos.

Old school here too. I save everything! I throw everything you can imagine into a bag, and when I'am ready to scrape I go throught it. I have used airline tickets as I.D. badges, with pictures of each person in our group. Sign and sail cards, receipts from our fave bar, pesos, tender tickets. Everything! I don't use everything, but who knows how inspiration will hit each person? Then it takes me weeks, and sometimes longer to put it all together.:p Going again in Oct. Hope to get some fresh ideas.

I'm the same way! I save everything too including receipts. I usually collage the receipts at the end of the book and do some chalk inking around the edges of each receipt then glue them all down overlapping them sometimes cumpling them and inking the creases. Looks cool and reminds me of all the great deals and fun shopping I had. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Know that Princess is now confiscating cruise cards upon disembarking the ships.

• 2 months later...
I've done all my scrapbooks the old fashioned way too although I'm handy at digital scrapbboking too. In fact I just created a life preserver and lifejacket to print as embellishments for my next book. I actually just bought myself a printer that will do borderless 12 x 12 so I now get to design my own paper for books which should be a nice touch. I love playing with my Cricut. Here are some pages. Excuse the glare as I used my camera in not too great light...

Wonderful pages! If you happen to drop back by, can you post or email me some information on your 12X12 borderless printer? I've been trying to find something that will work to put on my Christmas wishlist and wondered what you were using and how you're liking it!

Wonderful pages! If you happen to drop back by, can you post or email me some information on your 12X12 borderless printer? I've been trying to find something that will work to put on my Christmas wishlist and wondered what you were using and how you're liking it!

I looked at the Epson 1400 and 1900 models but settled for the 1400 because I didn't mind fewer ink tanks (6 versus 8 ink tanks), it was a bit slower but still reasonable for large format and it was much cheaper (got it for about 250 while the 1900 is around 500). So far I have no complaints! I've loved making my own background paper... I've been working on a war book for my sister (who came back in September from Iraq) and making some of my own paper which is good as appropriate paper is limited in options. And on this last cruise we took photos specifically thinking it would make good background paper like shots down into the water (one is just gorgeous and looks like blue marble because of the sea foam and waves) or of palm fronds, etc.

Thanks! I'll look into those two and see if I can find them locally or if I'll need to order one online.

I'm interested in doing a combination of "old school" and digital scrapbooking. The company I work for sells a digital scrapbooking program (which is great), but I'm not fond of the flat appearance either. I'm thinking that if I do my journaling, and possibly even my pictures from the digital program, print them, and then add my own embellishments that I'll have the best of both worlds.

I've been doing quite a bit of my journaling on the computer, printing, and then pasting them onto my pages as no one can read my handwriting.... One thing I really DO like about the digital part is the ability to size my pictures to fit my layout rather than having to crop part of them off. It works great!

I go into a page knowing which photos I want to use so I use Paint Shop Pro to size the photos up or down depending on my needs. On a layout where I want lots of small photos I often end up printing two photos to one 4x6 so I get 3x4s (as I did on the lifepreserver one). I can't even imagine not printing my own photos any more. I also always have letter sized photo paper for when I want to do larger prints.

And the hybrid (adding embellishments to digital pages) is great although I haven't done a ton of it yet. I may make my life easier on our cruise book this time and do some with accent photos printed to the background page as borders and add one matted photo on top that's my primary of the page.

Great ideas! Thanks for sharing.

One more question, since you mentioned designing your own papers. Would you print them on regular paper or cardstock, and then print the photos on photo paper and mat them the "old school" way, or just have them print on the regular paper. I'm trying to figure out what angle I want to use.....

I tried printing to cardstock I already had but the colors didn't come across right as the paper has to be right for the ink to absorb on the paper. I found a company on the night that sells a good archival quality paper.

http://www.digitalscrapbookpaper.com/sbgrayhawk.htm

True hybrid you design the page and print it allowing space for embellishments like ribbons, stickers, whatever to be added. The freedom of it is you can play with what you like.

Archived