Autoprogreso tours?

me&2kids

Okay... I'm still trying to decide what to do in Progreso for our Feb cruise. I'm not crazy about what Carnival offers for this stop (especially their prices!) I'm thinking about a combo city/ruins or flamingo tour with Autoprogreso and have read some good reports on this board. However, I noticed that they are no longer listed as a recommended tour operator on the Yucatan Today website. Have there been recent problems? Anyone have any recent good or bad experiences? What is the procedure with Autoprogreso- do you book ahead of time or the morning you arrive in Progreso?

Many thanks!

Me&2Kids. Just like Cruise Critic, Yucatan Today's print version operates on advertising dollars or pesos. Although I hadn't heard about YT's recommended list, I could certainly understand the alleged recommended list would give preference to it's paid advertisers. BTW, YT the poster often offers information on AutoProgreso.

I have gotten onto their website without difficulty here. http://www.autoprogreso.com/

I emailed with an immediate response the first time, a week delay the second time.

Part of the email may answer your question...

The tour leaves at the open air market in Progreso, first of all meet me in my office at the pier to buy your tickets at any time but keep in mind that takes 15 minutes to get in the market from the pier so you can get me as soon as the ship let you off if you want to see what's in town and buy some souvenirs before the tour leaves.

So, you look for them on the pier. Buy your tour. They leave about 10 or 11 (depending on the excursion) allowing you time to tour the market. We might try the tour bus around Progreso for $2 then meet at the site for the tour.

Just used Autoprogresso for the Dzibilchaltun tour. You can buy your tickets at the pier or at the plaza. I bought at the pier with a Capitalone credit card (seemed to charge only about 2.50 for the card). They put a colored wristband on you so that they can find you in the plaza when the bus is ready to leave. It cost about 1/2 the price of the cruiselines tour.

I thought it was an OK tour. We started on one bus and had to change to another which had us start 40 minutes late. Both buses were very nice on the inside with ac. When we started out the guy did ask if we could return about 30 minutes later than scheduled to give us more time at the ruins (of course that would mean less shopping time at the end of the tour). We all agreed to add the 30 minutes, we also all rode the bus back to the ship without stopping in the city or having to use a shuttle from the pier. When we weren't sure what was happening with the buses, I was glad I used a credit card to pay. If something had really gone wrong, I could protest the charge vs. arguing to get cash returned.

On the way to DZ the guide told us a little about the area. When we got to DZ, he bought our entrance tickets/wristbands and them proceeded to put then one at a time on each one of us. Luckily we were about third to get our wristbands/tickets, The whole process took about 20 minutes. We went ahead and started walking to the site. We realized we would miss the commentary. However, I don't think there was any commentary because about 20 minutes later I met the guide walking along by himself. I think he took folks to the cenote and then just let everyone do the ruins on their own. The site was large and very interesting with a few signs to explain things.

Summary is I did enjoy the ruins very much. I recommend Autoprogresso for folks who want to save money, they provided a very nice bus ride to the ruins and back to the ship (vs. dropping you at the shuttle stop). However, on our trip there was not actual "tour guide" leading you through the ruins so if you want that you may need to find another company. Of course that could have just been our bus that particular day.

Have fun.

We used Autoprogresso last week. We toured DZ and the Merida square. Our tour guide was Ivan and he was very good. He gave us a lot of history in DZ. We were there on a Monday so the museum was closed. In fact, he was so good at explaining the history that my six year old came home saying, "No one knows why the Mayans left. It's a mystery." He gave us time to explore the ruins and the cynote. Warning: Some children will NOT put their feet in the cynote because of seeing the fish. lol (our dd was scared the fish would bite her toes)

The bus was very nice. You could leave your items on the bus while touring DZ and Merida. Ivan is very proud of his heritage and his city. The only negative thing I have to say is that I would have enjoyed more shopping time in Merida. We didn't get ANY. Oh... and if you ask Ivan about "Yucatan Today" he'll give you a shocked look and say, "how you know about Yucatan Today?" Then while in Merida he got us all copies.

Oh and the people in the plaza are right... prices are much higher "tomorrow in Cozumel."

• 4 weeks later...

We just returned from our cruise and also did the Dzibilchaltun tour with auto Pregresso for $29 pp. We had a very nice time, it was well worth the money. We rode in an AC nice bus on good roads for about 25 minutes at the most. Once we got there we were given time to go to he bathroom and look around the shop, if you bring your swim suit this would be the place to change. There will be a very refreshing Cenote to swim in at the end of the tour if you chose to.

We took the Autoprogreso tour to Merida. $25 per person at the plaza. Bus is air conditioned. Ride to Merida is about 20 minutes and at the end, they bring you back to the ship.

Tour guides speak good English. I do not recomend this tour for kids as they would be quite bored. We were in the city on a Thursday afternoon and it reminded me of downtown Chicago with all the people out and about. VERY crowded. The guides did a good job of showing the high points in the city, including the cathedral. Overall, it was a good tour, but for me it is now a "been there, done that" and have no desire to go back into the city.

has anyone taken the tour thru auto progreso for the Reff Club Hotel ? and if so were you able to stay long and get back to ship in time to sail? this looks awesome to us nice clean beaches and all inclusive :confused:

Here is a report/review thread on this tour:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=804706&highlight=reef

Archived