Advice for Days at Sea

melly923

We are getting ready to sail on Carnival with our 20 month old and our 4 year old. We have 2 full days at sea. Just wondering what you all like to do on a sea day with your kids? We have cruised several times before, but this is a first with the kids.

I think nobody has piped up because they don't want to be the bearer of bad news. So I'll explain...

The four year old is going to have a ball on the sea days. He/She will love the youth program and the counselors. So that will keep him/her busy. There will be lots of things of interest to your 4 year old- entertainment, swimming, etc.

Now the problem with a 20 month old is they aren't going to be allowed Camp Carnival- except if they offer a play area where you can stay. I'm not sure if they have this and other Carnival cruisers would have more knowledge about this.

At 20 months, as you probably remember, kids are really busy bees. They love to run and explore the ships. It will be a giant playground for them. You will do a lot of walking and stair climbing for two days. They can't use the pools onboard unless completely potty trained- which as you know most 20 month olds aren't. Bring some of your family toys with you and a few new ones. Also bring your laptop to watch familiar DVD's.

You'll be happy to see land again I suspect. 20 months is a tough age.

Some folks will bring a blow-up tub...the "duck tub" is popular. It's useful for bathing, since only suites have tubs, and can be used on the pool deck for "splashing"....small kids only need a bit of water to have fun! Empty it into a floor or shower drain...don't pour it into the pool!!!!

Dancing on deck, playing in an empty lounge or disco (the nice thing about ships is the tables are childproof - no sharp corners and not easy to tip), walking the Promenade deck, and self serve ice cream! With three meals, a nap or two and exploring the ship, our sea days flew by when my twins were 22 months. We brought the duck tub and used it for baths, but were so busy we never got around to using it on deck.

Have a great time!

Best,

Mia

Archived