Positive thoughts on Azamara

Jancruz

On another thread it seems some passengers have gotten questionaires that Azamara sent out..I think it is a great idea that Azamara cares enough to send them..it is a sign that they care and I believe they will be read very carefully (or why bother sending them)..this cruise line seems to be trying very hard to improve its image and come up to the standard we expect from a deluxe product..Some of us did not get those questions so lets give some positive input here instead of being negative ...how about writing what we like about the ships and what we feel we would like to see more of.

I will start by saying I adore the Mosaic Cafe..although IMHO on a deluxe ship there should be no charge..OK folks take it from here..if Azamara reads the board like some people have said they do..lets give positive feedback!!

Jan

Bringing this to the top..if you have been on A..there must be some things you like..or some things you feel they should do..In case someone from A is reading this..lets give them some ideas..I cant be the only one that likes some of the things they do!!

Jan

On another thread it seems some passengers have gotten questionaires that Azamara sent out..I think it is a great idea that Azamara cares enough to send them..it is a sign that they care and I believe they will be read very carefully (or why bother sending them)..this cruise line seems to be trying very hard to improve its image and come up to the standard we expect from a deluxe product..Some of us did not get those questions so lets give some positive input here instead of being negative ...how about writing what we like about the ships and what we feel we would like to see more of.

I will start by saying I adore the Mosaic Cafe..although IMHO on a deluxe ship there should be no charge..OK folks take it from here..if Azamara reads the board like some people have said they do..lets give positive feedback!!

Jan

I liked having chances to interact with the staff and thought they had a very positive attitude. Also enjoyed specialty restaurnants on Journey even more than on Celebrity -- more low key, elegant and less showy.

The star gazing was special and intimate.

Loved the chaises at the pool.

Jan

Jancruz1

We liked the Quest (24 Nov) enough to book another only today, also on the Quest, for June 08 to the Eastern Mediterranean.

We came home feeling so relaxed and refreshed; made new friends; and had a wonderful time. The crew and staff were the best, the pool loungers were amazing, Matt, the Cruise Director, who I think has, or is, moving to new pastures, was fantastic..... I could go on.

However, there were a few flies in the ointment - principally, the problem with the Discoveries restaurant. They really have to get their act together - if they haven't done so already. On our sailing, some of the staff seemed to need more training; not enough waiting staff; in fact, everyone was rushed off their feet. The waiting times to be seated needs to be addressed.

The specialty restaurants were superb. We could not fault. The only criticism would be that they could drop the excess charge, or at the very least, for a 14 day cruise, give two complimentary uses of these restaurants for the standard cabins and increase those for the suites accordingly.

We very much hope that by the time we sail in June, it will be a seamless operation. They have plenty of time to get it right. We were considering Oceania but value for money, went with Azamara again. If it's still not right in June.........

Rita

Forgot to mention the fantastic orchestra; three girls and two boys song and dance group; and other performers. They deserved all the plaudits they received throughout the cruise.

Should Azamara take note of these comments, please note the following:

Please, please, lower the air conditioning in the Cabaret Theatre in particular, and the Discoveries restaurant. Cabaret was soooo cold each evening, it was uncomfortable.

I like your attitude. I have always traveled with the idea I wold enjoy the trip, if I didn't think so I didn't go.

We disagree with some prior posts as to good points, but I have tried to not mention them and concentrate on our likes and disapointments.

1- Az promises WAY more than deliver. All cruise lines do, but Az a lot more so. Luckily I found this website and lowered my expectations before the cruise.

2- Pool area was the best. Appointments were finer than the Seabourn that docked alongside at one port, and they had few balconys if any.

3- Best cabin ever. We have (except one horrible trip) picked a cabin about the middle of the price range as we did on Quest, and this was THE best bed with the rest of the stateroom being very good and comfortable. Important when you sleep as poorly as I.

4- Staff in Windows and bars, also our cabin attendants.

5- Food in the buffet, alhough if the dining room had been a good restaurant I wouldn't have gotten bored with the buffet so long before the end of a 14 day cruise. (How's that for a back-handed compliment?) I enjoyed the guitarist there a lot, which added to the trip.

6- The ship. We enjoyed the size and ride. I left my cane in the stateroom and only used it for trips off the ship (you never know what surface or distance when you leave the ship). Everyplace on the ship was close enough for me, unlike some big ships I have been on.

The staff was great, especially Becky the cruise director. We renewed our wedding vows on our cruise for our 25th anniversary. Becky, the Captain, Lisle, and the other staff members who were there, acted like they were our family. Our butler and his helper even made us some "love birds" out of towels as a surprise that night! But, while that was for our special occasion, we felt overall we got great service and attention every day.

We also liked the excursions and the comfortable beds and outdoor lounges. The ship was small enough to get a sense of community with the other passengers, but large enough that you never felt crowded, except in the Discoveries dining room! While the food there was better than the buffet, we found eating at the buffet to be more relaxing. Aqualina was great, both for atmosphere and food.

Hubby also thought the embark/disembark procedures were quick and easy. I think that covers it for us!

Got back yesterday morning from the Dec. 11-23 cruise of the Azamara Journey from Santos (Brazil) to BA - - just some thoughts here:

1. Why not allow in-cabin access to local TV stations, which is very helpful to those of us studying the local languages? Especially in Brazil, where Portuguese pronunciation varies significantly between regions and in Montevideo/BA areas where Spanish has ways of being spoken that you will never encounter in any standard text that I know of. Apart from the language-study benefits, the local TV media are a good window into the local culture, particularly in Brazil.

2. When arranging air transportation to ship, hopefully the line will one day come to appreciate that in North American winter conditions, one hour is NOT a reasonable time within which to make one's connection.

3. I loved the cabaret show that satirized TV, especially the song, based on The Rose, about the multiplicity and complexity of remote controls. I felt the performers were outstanding in all respects, but then were wasted in some of the other productions, such as the "Swing" evening, because the material there was really sub-par. Those are really good performers, and if they don't have material that matches their talents, then they should just have been allowed to perform some of the classic swing-era material instead.

4. In most other ways, the line was more or less on a par with other cruise lines we have used - - smooth sailing, good food, sufficient deck chairs in or out of the sun, cabin and shower size, etc. A pleasant, relaxing and comfortable way of life for 12 days until we return to the cold and gloom of a Midwestern winter.

5. The star-gazing on deck was a wonderful experience, the meteor an unexpected bonus.

6. One of the passengers we met saw some flying fish. We ourselves saw a little school of jellyfish scooting around in one of the ports, which I'm sure other passengers must have missed. I think if there's an area where there's a chance of seeing some interesting marine life, this should be announced over the PA in advance so passengers can watch for it, and of course if the ship's officers see anything interesting, that also should have been announced.

7. I loved the desserts in the buffet on Deck 9. Way too much, unfortunately. My compliments to the chef. Wife is threatening to put a muzzle on me next time.

8. Loved the harpist. Beautiful and relaxing music, expertly played, and just before dinner time. Just a lovely experience.

Well - - pretty random and disorganized, I guess. Sorry I did not have the time for a more comprehensive assessment. I would certainly hope that the management is reading this.

Loved:

• Attentiveness of the staff

• Wine list - especially a very nice Brunello we had in Prime C!

• Aqualina

• Bedding - I went home and bought some as close to it as I could find

• Central marble staircase on Journey - so pretty

• Mural on the Library/Michael's Club skylight (Journey)

• Small size of the ships

• Elemis toiletries

• Daily pastries and midnight snacks in the Cova Cafe

• Menus in Discoveries

I wish they'd sent me a questionnaire!

Lisa :)

First and formost was the dining room. The room is packed and noisy as well as the other deficiencies noted on others posts.

Private Island. A gorgeous place, but Az execution of the day was a disaster. I was expecting something less than Disney, but not so much less than NCL.

I saw a crewman at least twice on the verandah wiping the rail. Will he ever take care of the dirt in the scupper? It traveled 2 weeks with us.

Overall impression, It's a beautiful ship and appointments, good riding and comfortable, friendly crew, and interesting ports. But I still felt it wasn't better than regular cruise lines in enough areas to be called anything indicating deluxe.

Someone mentioned 'food available almost all the time'.

I've seen as much or more available 24 hr on everything from 11 passenger Japanize freighter to 2400 cruise ships. What ever happened to the midnight buffet? The short line buffet before they open the full line?

When you took the AZ air what time did you arrive in GRU and how long did it take to get to the ship? Did the transport bus make any stops? Is it possible to buy some wine at the airport to take on board or is there a duty free shop at the AZ terminal?

Thanks for the info.

First and formost was the dining room. The room is packed and noisy as well as the other deficiencies noted on others posts.

Private Island. A gorgeous place, but Az execution of the day was a disaster. I was expecting something less than Disney, but not so much less than NCL.

I saw a crewman at least twice on the verandah wiping the rail. Will he ever take care of the dirt in the scupper? It traveled 2 weeks with us.

Overall impression, It's a beautiful ship and appointments, good riding and comfortable, friendly crew, and interesting ports. But I still felt it wasn't better than regular cruise lines in enough areas to be called anything indicating deluxe.

Someone mentioned 'food available almost all the time'.

I've seen as much or more available 24 hr on everything from 11 passenger Japanize freighter to 2400 cruise ships. What ever happened to the midnight buffet? The short line buffet before they open the full line?

Just a quick question for you..were you hungry..did you know room service is open 24/7?

Jan

I would have liked someting a little earlier but did not miss it. I knew about room service, but don't eat in bed OR wake my wife up early.We had at least one piece of fruit in the room at all times (from the room stewards).

Last week, we went with our son and family to a 1950 era diner and had good food and service and were able to talk in a normal voice at a table for six. Why not in Discoveries?

There was a lot to like on Journey, and not a lot to dislike.

I really enjoyed Captain Smith's updates from the bridge. They were more informative than the usual and yet not intrusive. He appears to be a man who really likes his job.

The food in Prime C and Aqualina was as good as any restuarant I have eaten in in Boston, and we've got some good ones. Great atmosphere, too. We also enjoyed Discoveries. The food was better than on most cruise ships, and despite some confusion and slowness (particularly toward the end of the 12 days), the service was pleasant. Best part--someone else cooked it and served it to me. That's always a good thing. We really enjoyed having breakfast and lunch on the deck outside the Windows cafe, watching the wake of the ship or some port disappearing into the distance while enjoying the beautiful weather. What's better than that?

The size of the ship made it easy to meet and mingle with other pax, and yet it didn't feel as though anything was "missing" that you would get on a bigger ship, in fact we thought the entertainment was great and the 5 entertainers were the best we have seen on a cruise ship.

The staff was always smiling and eager to be of service, however the whole butler thing is a joke. We saw her only once or twice and unless she was the one cleaning the cabin and putting out the flowers and goodies, I can't say that she "buttled' for us at all. Give it up, Azamara. We were in a IA cabin, so I guess if you were in a suite you may have gotten more. We didn't need it anyway. Our cabin was always spotless, but I expect that was due to the cabin steward, not the butler. On a ship that size, who needs a butler? Who need a butler at all?

As was said before, the pool loungers were comfy and way to easy to doze off on. Many red faces at dinner after a sea day.

Embarkation and disembarkation in Santos was breeze. Getting to Santos, well not so easy, but not Azamara's fault. The ship's transfer was efficient and just fine.

The music around the pool was short lived and not too loud. I for one don't need blaring music to help me enjoy my book and the sunshine. No stupid pool games, either!

Plenty to do. This was our first smaller ship experience, but there was nothing really missing.

The only really weak link was the whole shore excursion experience. The people at the excursion desk were not helpful, even surly. There was no port or enrichment lecturing (on a cruise line that is supposed to be port intensive). They did bring in a local at most of the ports who handed out maps and gave advice, but it was obviously sort of a quick fix. Excursions were poor, expensive, and not as advertised. Our ship also had an overnight in Itajai, Brazil. I guess this is a relatively new port, as the locals were most intereted in watching our arrival and departure. It is a nothing port, and those of us who were not involved in the excursion to Iguazu Falls (only 30 or so people were allowed to go because of some snafu on the part of Azamara) were held hostage there for two days. Annoying, when the falls excursion could have been launched from Buenos Aires and an overnight there would have been much more fun for the pax. I expect Itajai is cheaper for docking, but it sure is not so great for pax.

All in all, we loved the Journey and will definitely travel on her again. You could find all kinds on little things to pick on I guess, but why bother when the whole experience is a positive one.

Loved:

The staff were some of the friendliest and most helpful of any of our 14 cruises.

The wonderfully small size of the ship! So much more intimate and cozy that the oversized mega-ships being built these days. One cruise on those was more than enough. Wonder when the "powers that be" will realize that there is a big group of cruisers who like small?

The specialty restaurants were wonderful.

The Breeza in the evenings was fantastic. We loved eating out on the deck, enjoying the stars, the sounds of the ocean, etc. And the choice was varied enough to get me through a 14 night cruise. (Sorry, 2 nights in Discovery was 2 nights too many, with the poor service, noise, etc. Not to mention that we just weren't impressed by the food choices. Who IS this new chef they have designing menus for the RCL ships? Maybe they need to look further afield?)

Deck chairs - comfortable, and enough for all of us.

Beds - great! (Just add some pillow choices for those of us who like firm pillows)!

Butlers - IMHO just go back to having the cabin attendants designations, and forget acting like these are butlers. I saw nothing "extra" from them, that we haven't gotten on every other cruise from our regular cabin attendants.

Mosiac Cafe - our favorite place in the evenings. Harpist, piano player, and great coffee drinks. And the staff working there are wonderful. My compliments to Azamara for hiring such great people as Gabriella and Gargana. My compliments also for other great staff - Sandy, David and Miquel.

Martini Bar - intimate, with good drinks. And the bartenders (Roland and Angelo) met my requests for drinks made how I wanted them, with smiles and humor.

Cabaret - Entertainment good. But, someone needs to tell the orchestra that they are playing in a small venue, not the Astrodome, and to lower the volume. They would sound much better if we could hear the music, not be overpowered by it. And the singers would sound so much better if they didn't have to yell their songs to be heard over the orchestra. It isn't fair to the audience, and it isn't fair to the entertainers.

Embarkation and Disembarkation, the easiest ever!

Archived