Villefranche to nice

eby

According to online it's around 20 euro. You can see the train station from the ship (when you are tendered) and it's about a 5 min walk when you get to land. It only costs £2 and takes a few mins to get you into Nice. Look at the SNCF website for train times. We did Monte Carlo last year and are going to do Nice this year - from Villefranche.

THANKS We will take the train

I just spent a week in Nice and will suggest the following walking tour for an afternoon visit from Villefranche.

Nice has 2 train stations and the one you want is "Nice Ville" (2nd Nice stop) and not Nice Riquier.

Exit the train station and head 80 yrds left to Rue Jean Medicine. A 15-20 minute walk along Rue Jean Medicine will lead you to Place Massena. Rue JM is shopping street but Notre Dame Cathedral is a short walk from the train station. You can also stop at the Monoprix for some wine & picnic foods for lunch. Place Massena is like the town square to me. A short walk to the right will lead you to "high end" shops like Chanel, Hermes, etc. Straight ahead will lead you to the boardwalk along the Mediterranean Sea. Veer left and that will lead you to "Old Town" and it's shops, restaurants, and public market.

I would walk to Notre Dame, Monoprix, and head for the beach to dip your toes into the sea. From there, I would walk (to the left) along the boardwalk to the base of Castle Hill. You can take the elevator or stairs up. (we did stairs) The views up top are spectacular and you get a 360º visual. I would have your picnic lunch there before heading back down. You can see old town from the top to get your bearings. Spend time at "Old Town" enjoying the market, shops, and atmosphere. (a couple of museums are nearby) Depending on time, walk, take a cab or transit back to the train station. Rue JM has a tram starting at Place Massena.

Edited by lamchops

• 1 month later...
THANKS We will take the train

Was just wondering if you are still on the Silhouette British Isles cruise this August or can I remove your names on the roll call? Been quite a while since you have posted. Trying to cull down our list.

Edited by DrKoob

Our advice is to never depend on even finding a taxi (anywhere in France other then in Paris). Between strikes, frequent coffee breaks, not being allowed to work overtime, not being able to work weekends, etc. etc. the taxi situation in France is pretty bleak. A French friend once told me that when there is a taxi strike, nobody notices because service is normal :). So now, Uber is springing up all over France and the taxi drivers have been striking, rioting, starting fires, etc. They are angry because the Uber drivers are actually willing to work!

Before we get flamed we should mention that we really like France....just not their taxis. The one exception is the "G7" taxi company in Paris which is very reliable radio taxi company...and even maintains an English speaking telephone line.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

We returned 2 weeks ago from our cruise with a stop in Villefranche and thought I'd pipe in here with details of our train and bus ride between Villefranche and Nice.

We took the train to Nice, partly because we understood it would take climbing steep hills to get to the bus. The walk is very easy - just turn right as you face the town and walk along the waterfront until you see the sign for the SNCF and turn left. Go up the stairs, but half way up go through the tunnel to access the Ticket Office.

The one-way ticket to Nice was 3.60 Euros each. Walk back the way you came out of the tunnel and continue walking up the stairs, and wait for the train on the platform.

It's a quick train ride - less than 10 minutes. Don't get off at Nice Riquier, wait until Nice Ville.

The Nice Ville station was undergoing construction while we were there, but I take every opportunity to find a good public restroom. :rolleyes:Decent, and .80 Euro. When you exit the station, walk towards your left, and head to Avenue Jean Medecin. You'll see the tram stop there without crossing any streets. If you choose to take the tram it's 1.5 Euro and you have to buy the ticket at the machine at the stop. However, unless you have mobility issues it's a very easy stroll to get down to the waterfront, Cours Saleya, and Old Nice.

To return we decided on a change of scenery and took the bus back (and knowing we'd be walking DOWN hill in Villefranche was good! There is a lot of misinformation on where to catch the #100 or #81 because construction over the past few years has moved some bus stops.

We ended up using the GPS on our phone (in airplane mode - no need to use data) to get to the stop. Study a map and look for 'Le Port'. It was another easy walk once we were in Old Nice.

The bus was 1.50 Euros. We disembarked in Villefranche at Octroi. It was easy to recognize by the park-like setting of the street there. (We did Google Maps street view beforehand to be comfortable with where we were).

We continued walking 1/2 block in the direction the bus was going, and angled to the right onto Avenue du Marechal Joffre, turned right (same street name), and sort of merged onto a larger road. Not quite sure what we did then, but after crossing a larger road there was a pathway down, and we came out near the Welcome Hotel right where we started near the tender pier.

I hope that helps!

I actually prefer the bus, in the morning, over the train. That is because whenever we are in Nice in the morn....we immediately head over to the Cour Selaya and its excellent Flower Market (except on Monday's when its an interesting antique/flea market). The bus is more convenient to the Old Town (and Cours Selaya) then the train station.

Hank