Genoa ideas

bluenoser2

We're going to be on the European Explorer this June and while we have no trouble figuring out what to do in many of the ports, Genoa has us a bit stumped! My DH and I are travelling with my 83 year old father, who says he will probably stay in Genoa that day, but we're wondering what the best thing for us to do would be. I see a lot of people liking the Cinque deTerre tours.....Portofino.....DH isn't interested in Milan.....what would be a good idea for us? We love walking, photography and experiencing Italy. We do not like museums! If you could pick one thing to do, what would it be and why? Thanks for all your help!

When I lived in Genova (that's the way they spell it) I loved a walk along the port, a visit to the Palazzi and historic museums and houses on Via Garibaldi, the back streets near the Port. There is a magnificent acquarium there now . one of the best general markets, bread shops with local specialities including farinata, grissini (bread sticks) and cheese filled pizza from Recco. Take the local train out to Nervi, Bogliasco, Camogli instead of the Cinque Terre .

Don't forget to see the house where Columbus was born and lived.

I agree with many of the points ItalyLecturer has offered. I too lived in Genova (many years ago) and although it is not a premium tourist attraction, it's beauty is in its geography. I suggest a visit to the top of the hill overlooking the city via the funiculare. There you will find the old fort and fortress walls and great views of the port and city. On the way down get off at San Nicole stop then take the steps up to the next street overlooking the station. Stroll through this neighborhood with many large palazzos and opportunities for pictures of the real Italy. Piazza San Nicole below the station, although small, is also a great place to people watch.

I also agree that a trip to Camogli is well worth the short train ride. It is a small harbour town with a black stone beach, also worthy of a few photos. From here you can take a ferry to San Fruttuoso, a small inlet with an old monestery and very little else. Also a great opportunty for photos.

Buon viaggio!

I am in the same situation, not sure what to do at this port.

At this time we are probably taking the ship excursion to Portofino in the morning ( bus to Santa Margharita, then a boat to Portofino and back to bus at Santa Margharita), then back to the ship for lunch, then explore Genoa. Even though we had been to Portofino last year, it still seemed like the best option so far.

Thanks for the other suggestions, I will look at the other small towns nearby.

Would we be able to walk from the ship where it is docked to get to some of the sights? How far to the funicular? And where is Columbus' house in relation to the port? Thanks so much!

We walked everywhere from the ship, including Columbus' house.

Unfortunately, the funiculare that I think most tourists use, the one up to Righi, is closing on April 1st for extensive renovation work. There is bus service provided in the meantime.

There is another funiculare a little farther from the port, near the intersection of Via Agostino Berlani and Corso Magenta, but I don't know where that goes or if the area is of interest to tourists.

The city transporation web site with information on the funiculare is here: http://www.amt.genova.it/rete_e_orari/funicolari.asp, but is only in Italian.

This site may help you plan, the official city tourism site, with English language pages: http://www.turismo.comune.genova.it/spip.php?lang=en

• 1 month later...

Anyone happens to know which area Princess will dock in Genoa? Is it Stazione Marittima?

I read on one of the Italy forums that although you can see the town from the port, you should not (or can not?) walk to town. I think it said either it is not allowed or there is no sidewalk? Anyone have more information on "how to get to town from the Genoa cruise port"? If need to take a taxi, how much will it cost? Where is a good "central point" of town to ask the taxi driver to drop us off? We plan to DIY the "a day in Genoa" walking tour.

Thank you for your time.

Archived