Looking for TrentS FOR ADVICE hOLIDAY iNN fT.lAUDERDALE BEACH

TOMMYCRUISER

Trent it looks like you know a lot about hotels in this area and was wondering your thoughts on this hotel. We have it booked for two nights before our Carnival Liberty cruise and I was wondering about the hotel I've heard both good and bad?

We have the Hyatt for after and I read your post about the top floor which is a bummer but still a great hotel.

Tom

I assume you mean the Holiday Inn at 999 Fort Lauderdale Beach Blvd.?... http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hd/fllsb

It's an older hotel, across the street from a nice beach. It's nothing fancy, but fine if you're not expecting a 4 or 5-star experience. All of the rooms are ocean view. The location is nice, and safe. It's about 20 minutes from FLL, 10-15 minutes from the terminals at Port Everglades.

It's 3 blocks and across the bridge from a Water Taxi stop (at the DoubleTree Guest Suites). There are some small restaurants and bars in the immediate area, and it's within walking distance to Galleria Mall... http://www.galleriamall-fl.com/

• 2 weeks later...

I realize the OP had specifically asked TrentS the question but my DH & stayed here before our cruise in April '05 & would again in a heartbeat. Yes, it is old. And it only has 1 elevator. And it doesnt have a hot tub (just an outdoor pool). But the rooms ARE clean (& we accidently booked a smoking room & we are non smokers & it was still fine). The view is great! It's sooo close to the beach. And the beach by it is clean. Next time we sail from Ft L I'd like to stay here again, but this time for 2 nights instead of 1.

kruisinkris...

Thanks for your positive review of the Holiday Inn. I'm glad to hear from someone who has stayed there. We won this hotel on Priceline and were a little skeptical after reading some not so nice reviews. As long as it is clean we can handle old for one night pre-cruise. Do you remember how much transportation was from airport and to pier? Thanks again.:)

I stayed there post-cruise once and I honestly think the negative reviews are overblown. It is not an up-to-date hotel, it definitely feels tired, but our room was huge and clean with a sitting area and clean linens. The location is right across the street from the beach, so while there's not much else to walk to, you have that.

I wouldn't want to spend a vacation there, but it does just fine for pre- or post-cruise, in my experience. Unless you have high standards for a hotel, and are sensitive about older properties (and they can be a little depressing if you're used to anything built since 1985), don't be scared.

kruisinkris...

Thanks for your positive review of the Holiday Inn. I'm glad to hear from someone who has stayed there. We won this hotel on Priceline and were a little skeptical after reading some not so nice reviews. As long as it is clean we can handle old for one night pre-cruise. Do you remember how much transportation was from airport and to pier? Thanks again.:)

Can't remember the exact amount & we added a tip, but I think we paid about $20 airport to hotel...and $20 hotel to port. The hotel to port drive seemed shorter than the airport to hotel...sorry I can't remember more.

02143 is definitely "right on" about the place. I wouldn't want to stay there for an extended period, but wouldn't mind (like I said) staying there for a 2 night pre-cruise. That way I could enjoy the beach more. There's also some fun looking shops on Beach Blvd that I didn't have the time to really enjoy. Not much that I could see in the form of places to eat w/in walking distance, but it WAS w/in walking distance of the water taxi. And although we didn't try the room service breakfast, the prices for it were the best I've ever seen for room service.

Have a great time! :D

Archived