Hurricane season

astros fan

Officially hurricane season runs from June 1 until November 30 each year.

Last year the first tropical disturbance TS Arlene began June 8 and the last one TS Zeta ended January 8 2006. The first hurricane was Dennis which formed July 5th and the last hurricane was Eplison which died December 8th.

The official hurricane season is June 1 through November 30. It never changes. The most significant hurricanes on record have been in August and September.

Wilma came through Ft. Lauderdale on October 24, 2005. It was quite significant, as it had the lowest barometric pressure ever recorded from a storm in the Atlantic. Of course, 2005 was not a typical year for hurricanes, either, and we somehow picked 389 days ahead of time to go cruising on the Legend on that exact day out of Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale). Timing is everything...and we didn't have it that day.

One more thing: BUY TRIP INSURANCE!!!

Having trip insurance made our 2 extra days of delay bearable. If you book during hurricane season, have an open mind and accept what comes your way with an "I'm on vacation" attitude, and things go much better.

GP

Which months are considered hurricane season?

In what part of the world?

Off Baja, for instance, the hurricane season (for what it's worth) is July, give or take.

Typhoon (as they're called in that part of the world) Tracy literally leveled Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia on Dec. 25th, 1974.

For years I have always taken at least one cruise during hurricane season. No fear!

Many people found out in 2005 that most cruise insurance doesn't help if the cruise line moves the cruise to another port for embarkation and/or disembarkation. That counts as a change in itinerary which the cruise line is allowed to do. It is then up to the affected cruise line policies as to what, if any, compensation you are entitled to.

Cruising outside of the hurricane season is no guarantee that your cruise won't be affected. Hurricane season is over, but regular cruising out of New Orleans has still not returned.

Saling during hurricane seasons ofers you the best deals pricewise.

I can take a 7 day cruise for under 500. if I cruise in September.

I just had to be flexible just in case.. and never did i run into a problem.

Hurricane season covers all of the 6th mo., 7th mo., 8th mo., 9th mo., 10th mo., and 11th month. To avoid it, just cruise the other 6 months. Funny, isn't school out and peak cruising season in "cane" season?

We cruise in hurricane season every year except 2005 [too busy repairing Hurricane Jeanne damage]. In 2004 we sailed the Paradise on its final non-smoking cruise, 15 days Miami to LA 9/05/2004-9/20/2004. Hurricane Frances came thru Miami 9/04 so we didn't leave until 9/06.

Once out in the Carib. we had to run full speed to get in front of Ivan, causing us to miss Aruba [barb's Fave]. Then thru the Panama Canal into the Pacific where we were to port hop up the coast to LA.

NOOOOO, Hurricane Javier was in the way, so we went steaming due west into the ocean to avoid it. Then we went north and then back east to LA, missing more ports. It was rough enough that the crew went into all the porthole cabins on the lower decks and battenrd down the steel porthole covers.

We had planned to spend time in LA, which we did. Then we flew back to Fl. just in time for Jeanne to come thru and destroy our house. So we call that our 4 hurricane cruise.

Will we cruise in hurricane season again??? Of course we will. We still live in Fl. don't we? Yep.

Dan

We had planned to spend time in LA, which we did. Then we flew back to Fl. just in time for Jeanne to come thru and destroy our house. So we call that our 4 hurricane cruise.

Dan

That is the d***** unluckiest cruise I think I have ever heard of, but you told it with such spunk...I wished I had been there just to say I had enjoyed it with you!

You must be fun!

That is the d***** unluckiest cruise I think I have ever heard of, but you told it with such spunk...I wished I had been there just to say I had enjoyed it with you!

You must be fun!

I am sitting here thinking the same thing!!!

WOW!!! I LIKE your style!

The cruise, like all other cruises, was very enjoyable to us. I'm sure that not everyone on the ship would feel the same.

We had a great roll call going and named ourselves the P.A.L.S. [Paradises' Absolutely Last Smokefree cruise]. There were around 20-25 of us CCer's that met every day in the piano bar right after tea time. We talked for a half hour to an hour bringing all up to date on whatever we were all doing. And the PALS roll call is still going, keeping us all updated on one another. One couple just returned from a trip to LA for the Rose Bowl Parade [a lifelong dream of hers]. As you know the parade was rained into ruin, so the PALS weather luck continues. While they were there another PALS couple took them to dinner in an English pub. Wouldn't you know it, the same pub I used to hang at more than 20 years ago!

We had some bad weather on our cruise, but some great people too.

Dan

Wilma came through Ft. Lauderdale on October 24, 2005. It was quite significant......

I know. MANY hurricanes have been significant, unfortunately. What I meant was that those two months (Aug/Sept) have produced the most catastropic in history - Camille and Katrina.

A side thought - Even though Katrina leveled my home, I will continue cruising in early fall. ALL but one of my cruises have been in September.

• 2 weeks later...
one thing to consider, go on a southern Caribbean Cruise, is outside the so called "Hurricane Belt"
Normally, but just like in 2004 when Ivan blew through the southern Caribbean, we had downed trees and some areas still with standing water when we cruised the Destiny, even a southern cruise isn't 100% out of the way.

Cotton is correct, its officially 6/1 thru 11/30. That does not mean that there cannot be a hurricane in May or Dec. There have been, but its still outside the "official" season.

Also the southern Carrib is safer, Aruba has never had a hurricane because the winds travel in the opposing direction south of a latitude that I can't remember. HOWEVER, to get south, you start from a port IN the hurricane belt and have to sail for some days until you get far enough south. We got zapped by Ivan in 04 and had to miss Aruba to get around him. So youse pays yer nickel and takes yer chances.

Dan

Archived