Hurricane Season....

This is the second week in a row that i look in the Valor´s webcam and i only see rain, rain and more rain, empty lido deck, no peoples partying whatsoever, just drops in the camera.

And i read in my local newspaper that the internacional weather center or something like that, based in miami, told that this is gonna be a very strong hurricane season and could go over the ending date of the season in november, so dont be impressed if you see any tropical storms in december or even january.

Geez, im kinda freaking out, im going on a honeymoon cruise next nov-dec and i dont want it to be a 7 days at sea cruise (kind of exagerated :D )

Anyone has heard something of it? any website where you can check the weather online that is in some way accurate, basically when you see the weather report down here in local TV and it says SUNNY, go get your umbrella, pretty sure its gonna rain dogs and cats lol (i would like to see the weather forecast when the date of departure gets very close)

Last years hurricane season went well beyond the typical "season", with Hurricane Epsilon spilling into December, and TS Zeta spilling into January. I would imagine that it's going to be a long season again this year... Then again, I wouldn't worry... you can have a bad storm divert your trip at any time of the year, not just during the actual hurricane season. Just make sure you have travel insurance, and roll with the punches :)

As for weather forecasts, they are all pretty sketchy, LOL... you can just go to www.weather.com, and they have a 10 day forecast.

Good luck, and don't worry!!!! We followed Beta last year, and it rained nearly every day, we still had a blast!!!!

1) It's not hurricane season now. If you saw Valor in the rain, it's just rain. No big deal. this is the tyropics, rain happens.

2) Hurricane season technically ends November 30, but in reality it is rare to see any major storm activity beyond October. 2005 was a freak year, they aren't usually like that.

3) Cruise ship captains are very experienced and will almost always choose a course on which you will never notice there is a storm, even if one is out there.

This is the second week in a row that i look in the Valor´s webcam and i only see rain, rain and more rain, empty lido deck, no peoples partying whatsoever, just drops in the camera.

And i read in my local newspaper that the internacional weather center or something like that, based in miami, told that this is gonna be a very strong hurricane season and could go over the ending date of the season in november, so dont be impressed if you see any tropical storms in december or even january.

Geez, im kinda freaking out, im going on a honeymoon cruise next nov-dec and i dont want it to be a 7 days at sea cruise (kind of exagerated :D )

Anyone has heard something of it? any website where you can check the weather online that is in some way accurate, basically when you see the weather report down here in local TV and it says SUNNY, go get your umbrella, pretty sure its gonna rain dogs and cats lol (i would like to see the weather forecast when the date of departure gets very close)

VenezuelanCruiser,

Weather forecasters seem to never guess right; in fact, I would expect them to have better luck if they did just guess instead fo employing whatever methods they're using lately. :rolleyes: They can't even tell you what the weather was yesterday so how're they gonna forecast this evening or tomorrow? :eek:

Last years hurricane season is a prime example of poor long term forecasting; they didn't see it coming so they're covering by saying this year is going to be similar or worse than last. Personally, I don't think they have a clue. ;)

When you say you're cruising Nov-Dec, you sure aren't kidding! You're doing a back to back to back on different ships?

so is typical hurricane season from August to November?

And it seems the western caribbean gets hit worse by hurricanes, is it better to cruise the eastern caribbean that time of year, or are they both equally hit?

We went on our honeymoon right in the middle of hurricane season in 2003, and we were squished between hurricanes fabien and isabell, but you wouldn't have known that Isabell was following right behind us, the capt. stayed clear of the storm, we had 2 days where it rained maybe 20 minutes, the rest was beautiful weather. Don't worry about it, you probably will have some rain, since it looks like you will be cruising for 3 weeks, just have fun!!! And if you do get caught in a lot of rain, just go back to your cabin for a lilttle fun, after all, that's what honeymoons are for !! LOL:D

so is typical hurricane season from August to November?

And it seems the western caribbean gets hit worse by hurricanes, is it better to cruise the eastern caribbean that time of year, or are they both equally hit?

Hurricane season is June-November.

And Western seemed to get hammered last year, but really... a bad one could hit eastern as well... I wouldn't plan a cruise around the possibility of a hurricane... they are just too unpredictable.

Venz cruiser, the facts are:

1. The official hurricane season is June 1 through November 30 every year.

2. That is a full six months. Half the cruisers cruise during those six months.

3. The captain will take the ship out of harm's way.

4. You take your chances.

5. Life is too short to worry about something that may/may not happen.:)

We live on Floridas east central coast. I could dig down in my yard 2 feet or more and find only bone dry powdery sand. Not a hint of moisture. Send us some of that tropical rain please. Our lawn? looks just like "Golden California"--burnt brown

Dan

Thank you all for all your kind answers, i know its not hurricane season yet, but i was kind of worried because i already had a change of itinerary, we first were going to cozumel and now we are going to costa maya, and we already had a couple of excursions in sight when we got to cozumel.

I understand this is the way the caribbean is, but i cant help been nervous, i had this honeymoon planned this way even before a met my soon-to-be wife :D

Cruised druing Rita last year and all we had was blue skies and calm water. The captains are great at keeping you away from the storm. We even had an added destination and a couple of extra days at no cost. The crew as wonderful. Our chant was "one more day". No one wanted to leave the ship. Like I said it was calm, beautiful, and tons of fun. Just enjoy.

Worrying about the weather on your honeymoon! I must be missing something.;)

I may be a little different than most but I enjoy bad weather. Last year we sailed during Dennis and had big waves. Our itinerary changed which resulted in pleasant surprises. We also caught weather from Wilma. We missed Key West but had extra time in Nassau plus Free Port. The cruise will be what you make of it.

wilma.jpg

To be honest, one of the things I liked most was standing on the deck before sunrise looking off on the horizon and seeing the caribbean thunderstorms light up the cloud tops.

...on the horizon.

I can see why people would want to go to sea.

But hurricanes are way too much of a good thing.

We live on Floridas east central coast. I could dig down in my yard 2 feet or more and find only bone dry powdery sand. Not a hint of moisture. Send us some of that tropical rain please. Our lawn? looks just like "Golden California"--burnt brown

Dan

Hey Dan...it's been raining off and on in So. Cal. for a month....YUCK!!! :p

Where's my burnt brown hills and 80 degree weather?!?!? WHHHAAAAAA!!!

:D

I'm just worried that all this bad weather in California will be moving east and end up in the Caribbean in May...boooooooooo:mad: :p

Coolestwife,

I'm with you! Let's send our rain to Dan....just hope it's gone by the time you cruise....

So Sick of the Rain out west!!!:eek:

Okay ya'll, send some here too!!!! I can't remember a time when we weren't under water restrictions anymore :( Whaaaaaaa :( We'll take all you can spare... sigh.

Okay ya'll, send some here too!!!! I can't remember a time when we weren't under water restrictions anymore :( Whaaaaaaa :( We'll take all you can spare... sigh.

oh...pleeeezzeee....pleeeezzzeee...take it!!!!:p

It was so windy/rainy one night last week....I almost dropped my beer!!:eek:

Archived