Rhapsody in Hurricane Path

Hi Everyone:

Currently, the Rhapsody of the Seas is headed to Grand Cayman. This afternoon, Grand Cayman was put on a Hurricane Watch. I wonder if the Rhapsody will continue on or divert elsewhere. If they divert, which is the most likely place they will sail to? Belize? And even if they divert westward, the Hurricane may catch up to them, if it continues in its current path. Any thoughts?

Fausto

Yeah, I had several thoughts.

Maybe head out towards Bahamas,then just skip Coz,and back to Galv.

Thats probably too risky,as Charley will probably head more east...

Maybe they hauled A...back across the gulf,then to Coz,Meridia....No real safe harbour east of Florida,or up the east coast,and not alot of choices within her time range.

Just saw where Carnival has announced alaternate ports for three of their ships. RCI surely won't be far behind.

(Carnival Triumph going to Nassau instead of Ocho Rios; Paradise to Nassau instead of Grand Cayman; and Conquest to Progresso instead of Oco Rios)

In '98 we had rough seas (15 foot) while on the Splendour, only a few tendors made it to the Caymans before the ship went to the other side of the Island, those fortunate few (me included) then had a nice bus ride seeing school children going home and a cricket match a little bit of Island life. We also missed going to Jamaica-- any way my point is that we did not go to any other islands we just had extra days at sea.

Has anyone heard from anyone onboard Rhapsody? We have friends onboard and are wondering how they are. I'm sure they are disappointed to miss the stingrays with Captain Marvin. I thought they might go to the Bahamas but I guess it might have been better to go on to Cozumel and maybe spend another day in that area.

Yea....my thoughts are that I'm glad I'm not on her till December...see you onboard TXSAILOR...I'm sailing with you on the 5th.

My thoughts exactly. I feel for the passengers on the ship right now. 4_6_218v.gif

See you in December!

Yeah, I'm beginning to feel a little anxiety about our cruise in three weeks... not worried, mind you, because I know that the captain won't steer us directly into a storm. But still, it is a little uneasy... but I knew what I was getting into booking a cruise during hurricane season, I guess!

Here is what RCCL has posted on their website:

cor_pressrelease_hdr.gif

s.gif

s.gif

Hurricane Charley

Miami

Royal Caribbean International is closely monitoring the path and progress of Hurricane Charley to ensure our guests enjoy a safe and comfortable cruise and to ensure our ships steer clear of the storm.

The safety and comfort of our guests is always the foremost concern of Royal Caribbean International.

Given Hurricane Charley's current and projected path, we are altering the itineraries of two Royal Caribbean International ships:

• Rhapsody of the Seas will not make its normal port call at Georgetown, Cayman Islands, on Thursday. Instead, the ship will make a port call at Costa Maya, Mexico.
  • Majesty of the Seas will not make its normal port call at Key West, Florida, on Thursday. Instead, the ship will make a port call at Freeport, Bahamas.

At this time, all other Royal Caribbean International ships are sailing their normal itineraries. We will continue to closely monitor the storm and update this information as needed.

There is no possibility of Charley stretching into Sept. Hurricanes will play out quickly once they hit land. Most likely by this time next week, Charley will be only a memory. Sept/Oct is peak hurricane season so there is a high possibility of several more hurricanes following Charley. We are cruising in Sept but i don't worry about it. Just be prepared for port changes, port cancellations or a complete itinerary change.

Where are you going in September?

What happens if the ship cant leave port of miami? stay on ship till it can set sail??

I'm going to the bahamas and key west! If the storms are in the area of the port, the ship will not stay in port, too much chance of damage to the ship. If the port city is closed due to a hurricane, RCI may change the sea port. I guess that's why people get trip insurance. I've been to Fla. in hurricane season before. I'm not going to get worried about it. (Why waste a good worry...as my mamma used to say!). ;)

Archived