hurrican francis and a cruise??

finfan13

hello all, need some help or advise, im taking my wife and kids on the dawn leaving this sunday august 29th. how do i find out if its still going or whats happening with the hurricane? im also taking elderly parents along and would really like to know what to expect meaning a different itinerary or is the ship still sailing south or whatever. thanks pat, just my luck eh? first time cruise and right into a hurricane i think.

Guest nhrich

Go to http://www.nhc.noaa.gov for the latest updates. Frances is still way too far out to sea to know how it'll impact your cruise, if at all, but the cruise will certainly leave on Sunday as scheduled based on latest info. Enjoy your cruise :)

Rich

Carefree Vacations

For now, about all you can do it keep an eye on the tropical updates. That, and pray that it will go far out to see and not make landfall anywhere.

I think that in the worst case scenario, the Dawn may have to change her itinerary to put as much distance as possible between her and Frances. But it's still too early to tell anything.

thanks for the info, went the the nhc site and that stuff is greek to me lol, simply put im praying for it to change direction!! any idea of what a revised itinerary for the dawn might be?? thanks pat and is there anyway of finding out if they are changing the itinerary before we get on on sunday? thanks

it could be anything from going to Canada to going somewhere else. But they will do everything they can to go South... but safety first...It is way to early. The storm won't be anywhere close for them to make a decison before Monday. Current projections has it still two days away from landfall on Tuesday....

look at US Navy's projections

http://152.80.49.216/tc-bin/tc_home.cgi

Guest nhrich
thanks for the info, went the the nhc site and that stuff is greek to me lol, simply put im praying for it to change direction!! any idea of what a revised itinerary for the dawn might be?? thanks pat and is there anyway of finding out if they are changing the itinerary before we get on on sunday? thanks

If you click on maps & charts for Frances, you can see the projected track up to 5 days out. I'd have to guess that there's no way the itinerary will change. Even by next Wednesday it's projected to be nowhere near the Dawn. You should be fine even if it continues on the way they're guessing.

Rich

Carefree Vacations

Hi, we are leaving on the same cruise, our first also. I called NCL directly and was told they go around the storm, no matter where or when, and if by any chance it is in NYC they will go around, they definitely will leave.

Also keep an eye on the forcast on the TWC, tropics update, I honestly think it's to far away to bother us leaving, I think the problem might be when we are down in Florida and that area, but we will have to see. My husband is nervous about it too. Maybe see you on the ship. Donna

hello Donna, im not too worried about leaving , just a little concerned towards the end of next week when we are in bahamas and private island. personally im not worried about rough seas or anything i just want this to be my family's best vacation ever i dont want them to be sick or not able to enjoy it. we are on deck 8 how about you? i heard ships go around the storm as well so i guess grab a beer sit at the pool, make a fool of myself and have some fun cuz its gonna be what its gonna be!!! the ship leaves nyc at 4 anyone have an idea when is good time to be at port? thanks pat

HI, I feel the same way, we won't have any problem leaving NYC, but when we are down there, and that other storm (tropical depression) off the carolinas' looks worse, but we will see what happens. We are on deck 11. Also I've heard about 1pm is a good time to get to the ship. We are taking the bus down. Hope all goes well. Have faith...Donna

Hi, can anyone tell me NCL's policy regarding locking your bags with a lock & key? I called NCL and the person I spoke to had no clue what the rules were for sailing out of NYC, she just said that she always locks her bags. I know that the Voyager leaving from NJ doesn't allow you to lock your bags due to security checks... Any help would be appreciated!

Gaston sounds a little scary' date=' do you think we will be able to go in that direction?[/quote']

Well Madam, I don't know what to say. With 'Gaston', you may be sailing

through a very minor hurrricane, the problem is that 'Frances' is a cat 4 and

may turn to a cat 5 by the time it reaches the Bahamas area around

Thursday. If the captain is smart ( and I am sure he is a heck of

a lot smater than myself ) NCL should avoid all problems by heading

down to Bermuda, away from all the 'hullabaloo'. The weather there

later in the week is mostly sunny and in the balmy 80's. Your captian

will no doubt guide you into the best weather.

( when I said I came over to NCL for "a peek" I was only looking

for the latest update on the POA Hawaii story- not good. I am mostly on the

'Cunard' board and we Cunarders are used to being bounced around

through gales and giant waves across the North Atlantic on either QE2

or (the new) Queen Mary . Go ahead and make the most of it).

cheers!

My friends who are 1st time cruisers with kids, are departing on the Dawn today. The latest forecast is that Francis will be a Category 4 possibly 5 (as dangerous as Andrew) in the Bahamas by Thursday-Friday.

Doesn't sound like a smooth sailing based on Gaston and Francis.

Still no word from NCL about a change in itinerary...

I have seen the forecast too. The Dawn is scheduled to leave Nassau on Friday at 1 or 2 I believe. Since Hurricaines are very changeable, they will monitor it closely. this is not a negative comment-its one of the harzards of the late summer and fall. The Dawn top speed is 25 knots(almost 30 mph) and it moves very quickly. Remember just like on airplane the captain will be held responsibile if the ship is damaged...so they will do what is necessary including deviating and leaving early. We will be in Bermuda and may see the Dawn-unless the storm changes direction and see us :) Gaston is close in to shore. The Dawn will be coming farther out to sea....radar and satellites will tell them where both storms. Tell them IMO to stop worrying there is nothing you can do about the weather. The Dawn is a lovely ship and will be fine...

I'm getting ready to leave my house for the Crown-- It appeared the Dawn was late in getting in today- Anybody know why??

Also, how would the Dawn go to Bermuda?? First of all, it would have to use tenders- and from the site I looked at it appeared Bermuda is fairly booked up with cruise ships.. In any case- I hope everyone has a safe and great cruise!

I'm getting ready to leave my house for the Crown-- It appeared the Dawn was late in getting in today- Anybody know why??

Also, how would the Dawn go to Bermuda?? First of all, it would have to use tenders- and from the site I looked at it appeared Bermuda is fairly booked up with cruise ships.. In any case- I hope everyone has a safe and great cruise!

I believe it could visit Royal Naval, and possibly Hamilton. St. George is just the issue because the channel is very narrow.

-Brian

Archived