Hurricane questions?

spankey

I have a queston maybee someone could help me with.. I kinda asked it in another thread but wasn't touched...

We are sailing on the 19th and lets face it.. Florida has seen what appears to be coming right now, 3 hurricanes in a month... Has anyone ever been detoured due to weather? If so what was your destination and was the trip extended? I know you should be flexable? But here is MY HUGE question:confused: What happens with your scheduled airfair? What I mean is if you are due back to the port on Thursday and your flight is that afternoon.. Has anyone ever returned on say a Friday? And if so what happens to your airfare? My wife is freaking out seeing how Florida is getting hit yet again shortly...

Our schedule is flexable but airline's may not be? I did purchase travel insurance from our agent and he stated that the flight would be covered only if we miss the travel time by 6 hours? Not a day? He did assure me that the Disney cruise line will make accomadations as far as safe travel to another destination while on the ship? But what happens to your flight?

Can anyone offer me some instances when this might have happened to you or someone you know?

I just don't want to have to buy tickets for our airfare twice if we can't make the flight back in time.... Our flight home is at 2pm so I gave us plenty of time after the cruise leway?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR INFO AND HELP!!!!!!!

Spankey:o

Yes, I've been detoured more than once while cruising during hurricane season, it's always an adventure...I've actually enjoyed my "mystery cruises". :)

As for the airfare, it depends on the airline, but typically they would allow you to travel STAND-BY on a later flight if you miss your return flight. You would NOT need to purchase an entire new ticket, but you may have to pay a stand-by fee (although in that circumstance they may waive it). And I have never heard of a travel insurance policy that only covers you if you miss your flight by six hours or less? :confused: That's what travel insurance is for.

Anyway, hopefully this is all MOOT for you and you have a great cruise with great weather. :)

I am on Disney Wonder that date also. I was wondering about Nassau and the private island. that is our destination. where else could we go Freeport? Ft. Lauderdale?

I am not worried about the storm-we have been on a ship during a storm-no big deal. We are driving to FL so no worry about plane tickets. I am just wondering about destination changes and what alternate destination we would get. we have been to Nassau twice so it is no big deal-just curious.

Momofmeg-

I am not really concerned about leaving.. I am more concerned with the return? What my topic was mostly about? Was if anyone ever had to return a day late due to weather... I called my travel agent again and he clarified me on the 6 hour window for the insurance.. He stated we have to miss our plan after 6 hours... If we miss the flight 3 hours after schedualed takeoff. Then we are kinda out? Makes NO sense to me.. Either you miss it or you don't. But they assured me that if we would return a day late it was covered.... The flight back that is..

We were going to drive as well. But we are in PA and this is our kids first real trip and all so with the way airline rates dropped in the last months. We couldn't beat $98 per person round trip.. And thats thru USAIR!!!!! Not southwest.... So I can't complain..

What other options are there to go to besides the Bahama's? This hurricane is coming straight thru there. I hope they all will be ok? And pray that it doesn't look like Florida and the last hurricane that went thru there.... GodBless those poor people...My hearts go out to them...In Florida that is.. I pray it misses the Bahamas but doesn't look like it.. The weather person just stated about ten minutes ago on the weather channel that its headed RIGHT for them... Its a cat4 which is serious stuff... But I suppose they get hit all the time down there? Who knows.. Maybee they will be just fine!!! But again, what other options are there? As far as destinations? It would be bummer to stay at sea the entire 4 days:o Ella stated that she was detoured a few times but didn't state where or for how long?

Thanks for all your help with this post..

Spankey

Headline news this morning (Sept.2) said both Canaraval and Miami cruises have been cancelled this weekend. So I guess we will see if the Sept. 5 cruise will be rerouted or cancelled. If they afraid for both Miami and Pt. canaraval then I would think Ft. Lauderdale would be out also since it is between those 2 ports. I guess we will see. I know everyone keeps talking about the low bridge at Tampa but isn't there two places at Tampa the ship can dock? Are both by the bridge?

Hubby was saying to me this morning "aren't you glad we did not book labor day week" or something to the gist of that(we were looking at the RCCL Mariner cruise this week but he wanted to fly to the keys to scuba dive instead) and I told him that FL got slammed 2 weeks ago and FL is getting slammed again 2 weeks later so who knows if FL might not get slammed the weekend of Sept. 19. I also told him although he does not leave until Wed. nite after labor day who knows if he will do his keys trip-to me right now things are really iffy all around. The shorter Disney cruise was a compromise between us- a little unfair to me he gets TWO trips 2 weeks apart but the Mariner cruise that week was sky high as it was almost sold out so we are doing Disney.

Now don't flame me I know Disney is a great cruiseline and really nicer then RCCL I just wanted to go to St. Thomas too. We could afford the Disney 4 day-but Magic was too expensive for us like the Mariner that week- all that was left was the verandas. Even though we have a veranda for Wonder for some reason it was much more affordable-I guess Wonder had not sold well for Sept. 19 at the time we booked or something.

My daughter read on the Disney board that Pt. canaraval is being closed down 3 p.m. today (Sept 2) the wonder is still going out for her 3 day voyage but everyone is getting a $300 refund since they will just go out in the ocean away from Frances and there will be no ports.

I bought the tickets on EXPEDIA.. They were $98.oo round trip per person.. That was two months ago and for this month.. Check Expedia.Plus they allowed me to choose the seats.. Most others do not..

Hope that helps?

Spankey

OH yeah almost forgot.. Philadelphia out of...

Orlando International Airport (MCO) and Orlando Executive Airport (ORL) will close on NOON Friday, September 3rd due to the Hurricane. Domestic passengers holding reservations for flights prior to noon on Friday, September 3 2004, need to arrive 3 hours prior to their departure. For further information on flight schedules up that time, please contact the airline directly. The Hyatt Hotel at Orlando International Airport is booked and sold out. Normal flight operations will resume when weather permits and clean up operations are completed. Orlando International Airport is not an emergency shelter.

I bought the tickets on EXPEDIA.. They were $98.oo round trip per person.. That was two months ago and for this month.. Check Expedia.Plus they allowed me to choose the seats.. Most others do not..

Hope that helps?

Spankey

OH yeah almost forgot.. Philadelphia out of...

Thanks! I will check it again. You got a great rate.

If an on-line booking engine won't permit seat assignments, sometimes you can call their customer service department or the airline and get them booked. I have done that a few times without a problem.

My daughter read on the Disney board that Pt. canaraval is being closed down 3 p.m. today (Sept 2) the wonder is still going out for her 3 day voyage but everyone is getting a $300 refund since they will just go out in the ocean away from Frances and there will be no ports.

My daughter correctedme and said it was a $300 refund per stateroom not passenger-still pretty decent I think.

Archived