Hurricane Frances- Hotel Information

CruiseFever

Just an update...most hotels in Tampa Bay are booked from those evacuating from the east coast! They say there are a few hotels with vacancies on the gulf beaches (Clearwater, St.Pete, Redingtons), but most people who evacuate are too frightened to go to another beach location!

Hope this helps someone!

No word as for hotels. All we know is 9/4 cruise will go out of Ft Lauderdale at 10 p.m. on 9/5. I would assume that you will port on the 5th, but I don't know that to be a fact!! Good luck!!! :)

Embassy suites cancelled my reservation this am for friday night.

susan

How about Marriott North. That is further inland and they will probably have rooms for friday and saturday night!! I bet it will be cheap too!!

Do not bet on anything in the area being cheap during a hurricane... you will pay top dollar for everything...especially food and hotels. Have you ever read the price signs on the backs of hotel doors? You'll be lucky if you get a room for less than the max rate listed there this weekend.

Your kidding. Even if they are empty!! :eek:

Empty or full, doesn't matter. During Andrew the rattiest (if thats a word) of the flea bag hotels were getting hundreds a night because they knew that people had no place else to go..... it's called price gouging and it happens everytime there is any kind of disaster like this. :mad:

Actually, FL officials have been right on top of things with the price gouging...There were a few cases reported for Charley but right now things are going quite well. It's illegal to for hotel operators to charge anything higher than the average daily rate for the last 30 days.

Heck, even in Gainesville, where the UF season opener was suppsed to take place this weekened (and as such, rates went up) they're now working on using those cancelled rooms and bringing the rates back down.

You can check out the story here:

http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040903/LOCAL/209030343

Archived