Cruise review POA April 6

mellowrose

DH, Bruce and I are early 60s, have cruised with RCCL, Princess and Celebrity. Love land and scuba diving vacations, too and Bruce is an avid motorcycle rider who has ridden many many miles across country. This trip has been the top of my bucket list for years, to see Hawaii.

Chose United for the first time and the flight from Toronto to Newark went smoothly in a connector flight and we had a bit of a layover in Newark. We went into the Ruby's Diner for eats before boarding the B767-400 on economy plus. Hooked up our Bose ear devices and settled in to watch some movies on their nice "big" screens on this new jet. As I am not a good sleeper, this was a 4 movie flight for me!

WE were met cheerfully by our Roberts rep who gave us the Lei greeting, our luggage came quickly and then we sat for 40 mins. while Roberts dithered around hoping to collect more fares! By now we are tired, it is 2:30 a.m.our time and our driver waited to be given the go ahead to leave. Grrrr.

I need to figure out how to upload pics so I will continue in a bit.

Our hotel was for the next 3 nights was "Wyndham Royal Gardens" in Waikiki. In suited our needs, free wireless, free laundry room with laudry soap, fitness romms and in a good location, nice and quiet. The kitchenette gave us the opportunity to have our granola cereal every morning and our first cup o joe.

I wanted to upload a pic of the hotel but I keep getting Upload Failed.

Our first dinner was around the corner to "Keo's Thai" restaurant. We had excellent curry and cashua nut chicken. Great place!

Second day is Diamond Head. Walked to a bus stop and asked around which bus to take. It was so easy and for $2. each we rode throught the neighborhoods to the Diamond Head stop. The busdriver told us when to get off as well as every other local on the bus seemed very concerned that we have a good time!

It was a perfect day for a walk. It is easy, well laid out, minimal charge and bring water! There are every age group heading up from babies on dad's back to elderly ladies and gents. You just go at your own pace and the views are magnificent! Our first great views of Honolulu and the Crater.

Next day is pearl Harbour. You have to buy your tickets ahead of time because the let the travel companies buy huge numbers so there is very few left for the individual tourists to buy. Plus we were told that they have actually closed off 2 of the times for the shuttle to the Missouri Monument to save money. We were able to get 2 tickets from one of the tour companies that were hogging the tickets. It was actually good because it included a tour of Honolulu which we were going to do on our own and this way we had the running commentary from the driver. It was called Hawaiian Tours.

The visit to Pearl Harbour is something everyone should do once in their life no matter what your nationality.

IMG_0179-M.jpg

IMG_0154-M.jpg

Hanging out in Waikiki is so much fun. This is the International Market. I didn't buy much, just cute little dresses and shirts for the grandkids and those flower barretts for their hair.

IMG_0159-M.jpg

Every day was paradise in Waikiki Beach. Here you can see Diamond Head.

That night we headed out to Duke's Restaurant that was recommended here on CC and we loved it. Delicious fish with the best salad bar.Hawaiian musicians, the torches at night, the happy customers and that beautiful sea breeze!

The taxi ride to the Cruise dock is about $17. so sharing the ride with another couple we had met was great. We arrived at 1130 which was early I thought but no, there were people ahead on me that were already walking ontot the ship. Because POA had been in dry dock and wet dock, the rooms were all ready and the let everyone on early.

I have never gone througha faster embarkation! They gave use leis and a cold drink and then called our group number to board. i was soooo excited! I had booked a OV and then kicked myself for not going for the balcony but because this was to be a 3 week vacation, I was thinking budget. In the end, we were rarely in the room and I love watching from the upper decks anyway.

IMG_0189-M.jpg

IMG_0190-M.jpgIMG_0191-M.jpgIMG_0195-M.jpg

This last photo shows you the working dock, importing everything from overseas. Nothing is grown or made in Hawaii anymore. There are markets with local produce on the islands that you can go to and go early because the produce is so good and cheaper, it is bought out quickly. I never tasted such sweet pineapple or coconut in my life!

Greek salad in the Liberty Dining room for lunch...perfect!IMG_4500-M.jpg

And the springrolls too.IMG_4392-M.jpg

Back to the beginning when I couldn't upload the pics...here is the hotel we stayed at ...the Wyndam Royal Garden.IMG_4387-M.jpg

First stop is Maui for 2 nights. We booked the Valley Isle Tour of the Hana Road, should be called the Circular Tour with the Hana Road included! It is a long tour but so interesting because it takes you along the lush coastline, barren leeside, volcanic desert and all the places in between. I highly recommend it.

IMG_0234-M.jpg

IMG_0228-M.jpg

Can you believe this is Maui?IMG_0261-M.jpg

IMG_4421-M.jpg

IMG_4454-M.jpg

Yeah the road is twisty but not as twisty as some of the roads we have driven on in New Zealand. You could certainly do it yourself as so many have but we saw so much more this way esp. DH.

Banana Bread stop!IMG_4449-M.jpg

Dined tonight in the Skyline, ordered the Chilean Red, we both had the Pecan Crusted Snapper which was sooooo good.

On to the Hollywood Showroom to see the performance called, "Aloha Polynesia" Very showroom style but good entertainment. Highlights dancing from New Zealand, Samoa and Hawaii.

Willie K. from Maui was performing on yukele and guitar, such a great performer.

Finished the night listened to some piano player I can't say who but good mellow listening.

The next day is a sea day for us. Bruce and I headed to the fitness room after brekkie and did our Tai Chi, Yoga etc. All those things we do to keep us going anf going like the energizer bunny.

On the ship I really felt like I was in paradise, sitting in the lounge chairs, swimming, hot tub, eating watermellon. The servers come by with skewers of fruit, we head in to the buffet for lunch. I always found something tasty. The coffee on board is the BEST! There are 3 urns at each station for coffee, go for the one marked, "Americano" and you'll enjoy a fresh ground brew with creme of Kona coffee.IMG_4401-M.jpg

The band playing poolside.

Archived