SkyBus to New York

parentsof6

They've just opened these flights and we snagged a cheap round trip ticket to Newburg NY ($45 RT). They claim it's a 45 minute ride to the dock that we're leaving from in ManH. Can anyone say what is the most economical and/or also the quickest way to get there?

They claim to have public transport available...

They've just opened these flights and we snagged a cheap round trip ticket to Newburg NY ($45 RT). They claim it's a 45 minute ride to the dock that we're leaving from in ManH. Can anyone say what is the most economical and/or also the quickest way to get there?

They claim to have public transport available...

Closer to 2 hours than 45 minutes. About 80 miles from the airport to Manhattan . The airport is about 8-9 miles North/West of the town of Newburgh. Get out a map-junction of I-84/I-87. You can see the airport off I-84

There is a commuter bus that goes to the PA bus terminal. But it leaves from the bus terminal in Newburgh, NOT the airport. So you will have to get a taxi to the bus terminal, then a taxi from the Port Authority terminal to the cruise terminal (not far). Other than the commuter bus, a rental car.

Another option is MetroNorth, the commuter railroad, into Grand Central.

Check-out this page for more info:

http://panynj.gov/CommutingTravel/airports/html/swf_transportation.html

Stewart Airport is WAY north of NYC and has really only been used by locals in the northern suburbs, one reason why there aren't many ground transportation options.

But a 45 minute drive to Manhattan? Maybe they're talking to the very northern tip of Manhattan. Obviously Skybus has never driven that route before, or looked at a map.

Well I am afraid you were given a little bit of inaccurate information about distance.

You do have the option of using the NJT train from Beacon NY which is about 5 miles from Stewart Field. (SWF) The train will take you into Manhattan.

Or you may take the NJT train from Salisbury Mills (between Washingtonville and Newburgh) into Hoboken.

http://www.njtransit.com/hp/hp_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=HomePageTo

There is also the shortline bus that can take you into Manhattan as well.

You may consider taking the loss on tickets and looking for Newark, JFK or LGA.

Depending on what time of day you arrive you may have to wait quiet a while for the train. On top of that hauling a bunch of luggage onboard will not be easy either.

Good luck.

You do have the option of using the NJT train from Beacon NY which is about 5 miles from Stewart Field. (SWF) The train will take you into Manhattan.

Or you may take the NJT train from Salisbury Mills (between Washingtonville and Newburgh) into Hoboken.

In the scheme of things this is not a major point, but the Beacon station is on MTA Metro-North's Hudson Line and Salisbury Mills in on MTA Metro-North's Port Jervis Line (although this later "West-of-Hudson" service is operated under a subsidy arrangement by NJ Transit). To see a map of the area, go to http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/mnr/html/mnrmap.htm

Thanks.

As a former full time and now part time resident of the Newburgh area I should have been more clear.

I would recommend the first option, taking the NJT from Beacon into Manhattan.

The Salisbury Mills option is a different line ending in Hoboken which would require a transfer to the PATH. A major point if one is hauling a *&^% load of luggage. ; )~

At any rate we are over thinking this and the OP hasnt checked back in.

If anyone would like a geography lesson this would be the place to go apparently. LOL.

Thanks Everyone for posting.

I just double checked Skybus's website, and in fairness, I was wrong, it says 55 minutes to Manhatten, not 45.

The good news is our flight arrives at 10:30am so we should have 6 hours to make it to the port (and 6 hours on the return), so we're not in trouble there.

I know we couldn't make it from LGA to the port in less than 55 minutes in a cab so I knew they were exaggerating. Maybe they are measuring to the very top of Manhatten, and indeed at 3am in a very fast car.

I'll check out the links on the trains and buses- thanks! We travel pretty light-even for a cruise, so I'm not worried about the luggage- one a piece. But paying only $45 roundtrip- we'll still save a lot if we end up taking a cab.

Rental car is probably not an option- finding our way there, dropping it off, then taking a cab to the port...we were there last year and didn't see any rental car companies trying to get you into their cars like at other ports.

Thanks again everyone.

A cab ride?

Way more than your airfare!

If you really want to look into a cab type thing try a limo or town car service.

They would be cheaper than a cab.

Newburgh is not very big. Its in the Hudson Valley in Orange county. Nice mountains around there.

A rental car is doable from SWF but finding a place to drop it off in Manhattan is not going to go well for you if you dont know where you are going.

Please take it from me look into taking the train from Beacon, less than 15.00 bucks one way per person directly into Manhattan then take a cab from there.

If you have more specific questions please let me know.

I am at your service. :)

From SkyBus' website:

Nearest Major Cities

New York, NY is approximately 55 miles, or 1 hour away by interstate highway.

Albany, NY is 82 miles, or 1 hour and twenty minutes away by interstate highway.

White Plains, NY is 52 miles or 50 minutes away

After living in NYC for 14 years, I can tell you that the distance between White Plains and the city is more than 3 miles.

From SWF to White plains is 55 miles.

From SWF to the northern border of the Bronx/I-87 is 64 miles.

From SWF to the Manhattan Piers is 69 miles

I guess SkyBus is so cheap that they don't even have the resources to consult a map before posting information on their website.

The good news is our flight arrives at 10:30am so we should have 6 hours to make it to the port (and 6 hours on the return), so we're not in trouble there. .

You should have booked to arrive the day before in case there are delays or Skybus can't get you there that specific day -- they don't have a backup airplane or airline to help you out if there is a mechanical problem or if there's a delay from the flight before getting to Columbus. I would at least buy insurance just in case -- there have been complaints about flights getting canceled/held up for hours.

Post a follow up at what you ended up doing -- I hope to book through Skybus for a future cruise to NYC.

You should have booked to arrive the day before in case there are delays or Skybus can't get you there that specific day -- they don't have a backup airplane or airline to help you out if there is a mechanical problem or if there's a delay from the flight before getting to Columbus. I would at least buy insurance just in case -- there have been complaints about flights getting canceled/held up for hours.

Post a follow up at what you ended up doing -- I hope to book through Skybus for a future cruise to NYC.

I agree - there is no way I would use Skybus for a cruise out of NYC unless I was going in a day or two ahead of time. Even then, I wouldn't use them as access to NYC - by the time you factor in your transporation to and from the city you could more than likely have your air into LGA or EWR. To me it just wouldn't be worth it. Hope it all works out for you.

• 1 month later...

I'll be sure to post a follow up- yes we have insurance, but if they have a mechanical delay- are you saying that we can't get onto another flight? They have only one plane?- I doubt that- I guess. It's a direct flight- no stops so we're just as safe as on other airlines I think. In February we are all are taking a chance.

What they are talking about is that Skybus does not have:

1) Interline agreements with other airlines -- if there is a delay/cancellation, you have no rights to have them put you on another carrier to get you to the destination. In fact, they only have the obligation to eventually get you there on their own aircraft or refund your money. If their future flights are full, sorry - you wait until there are available seats.

2) Spare aircraft available in case of mechanical problems -- major carriers tend to have spares at their hubs, which can be swapped into the schedule if necessary. When you are utilizing all of you planes throughout your system, you have little wiggle room if/when something breaks.

3) High frequency to destinations from CMH -- there aren't numerous flights on routes in their system, so if a problem develops, you won't have "the next flight" to rely on as a backup. There are only 2 flights a day to Newburgh, so if there's an issue with the 9am flight, the next isn't until 6:24 in the evening. Same issue on the return.

Yes, everything may work out just fine. That's the likely situation (meaning it will happen more often than not). But, when the **** hits the fan, Skybus (and other discount carriers) aren't usually the best tickets to be holding. Just so you are aware - caveat emptor!!

Additional info: Take a look at this webpage for more details on Skybus policies for delays and cancellations. And read the fine print on your "insurance".

rent a car at Stewart and drop it off in Riverdale or Yonkers and take a cab the rest of the way. A train with luggage would be hard. how many people in your party.

Stewart is a nice airport , my kids fly in and out of there from DC all the time, but if you ae flying in the winter , weather can be an issue.

Good Luck

rent a car at Stewart and drop it off in Riverdale or Yonkers and take a cab the rest of the way. A train with luggage would be hard. how many people in your party.

Stewart is a nice airport , my kids fly in and out of there from DC all the time, but if you ae flying in the winter , weather can be an issue.

Good Luck

If renting a car I would drop it off in Manhattan. That way you can drive directly to the pier, unload the luggage, and then one person drops the car off somewhere in the Times Square/Hell's Kitchen/Clinton vicinity where most of the major car rental companies have a neighborhood location.

A cab from the Yonkers area will probably be inthe $40-$50 range to the cruise terminal. Since you'll have the car already, the incrmental cost would be extremely low to just keep going & return it in Manhattan.

I'll be sure to post a follow up- yes we have insurance, but if they have a mechanical delay- are you saying that we can't get onto another flight? They have only one plane?- I doubt that- I guess. It's a direct flight- no stops so we're just as safe as on other airlines I think. In February we are all are taking a chance.

I have a co-worker who flew Skybus for a cruise this past Christmas, lucky for him he flew down 2 days early, cause all Sh** did hit the fan in Port Columbus as two Skybus planes were grounded for mechanical reasons, many, many people were stranded at the airport, or forked over big money to buy a last-minute ticket to their destination on another airline as Skybus had no available planes to cover the loss of those two planes. Many were stuck in the airport on Christmas day. This was on the news channel all day.

And another little tid-bit, Skybus lost one of his bags (direct flight) and he didn't get it back until after they returned home.

I've flown Skybus and liked it, but I don't think I will ever fly them for a cruise, only for leisure vacations or to see family.

I wish you much luck with your flight, but have a "back-up" plan just in case.

I appreciate all the input, and I've learned a great deal. As someone who rarely travels more than 25 miles from home in any given month, (by choice) I think I'm ready.

First of all- yes the weather will be a factor, no matter what mode of transportation. If Skybus can't leave Columbus then neither will Delta or Continental. That's the risk we all take with wanting to get out of here in February.

Mechanical failure- these are mostly new planes- hopefully with fewer problems. I've been stranded in the biggest airports in the world for over 12 hours with no help in sight. If this plane can't leave the tarmac that morning, I think I'm just as screwed as if they had 20 planes there.

As far as an agreement to get me on another flight. That is a BIGGIE. I think I'll take my chances on the $10- and forfeiting it If I need to. I'll just get another flight- that's the chances you take, and I guess I'm a gambler. So far -amount spent $122.60 roundtrip for two- plus $50 for bus/train tickets into manhatten, plus another $20 taxi to and from the dock. That's $192.60 for the entire roundtrip for two people. From Ohio to the port.

That's at least a $350 savings.

Now, as far as getting from here to there, I've taken your advice and looked at a number of options.

Limo- contacted one- V. the price is about $185 plus tip- not bad. We've done that from Houston to a cruise (for 5) and were very happy. but for two- not efficient.

Rental cars-cant find any with pick up and drop off that are convienent and would save money. (We almost always use this method in Miami, Seattle, Los Angelos.)

So, we get in at 10:30, I think we'll take the TLC to the Beacon Station, (on the 11:09) take the Metro-North to Grand Central at 11:50. Arrives at GC at (1:20). Take a taxi to the Port and hopefully be there by 2. Hopefully any deviations we can make up for, even if it means taking a taxi all the way to the port from Stewart.

We've travelled quite a bit and we're (pretty young) and flexible- just the two of us this time with no-one to meet. I'd never attempt this trip with the kids.

Laurie

I appreciate all the input, and I've learned a great deal. As someone who rarely travels more than 25 miles from home in any given month, (by choice) I think I'm ready.

First of all- yes the weather will be a factor, no matter what mode of transportation. If Skybus can't leave Columbus then neither will Delta or Continental. That's the risk we all take with wanting to get out of here in February.

Mechanical failure- these are mostly new planes- hopefully with fewer problems. I've been stranded in the biggest airports in the world for over 12 hours with no help in sight. If this plane can't leave the tarmac that morning, I think I'm just as screwed as if they had 20 planes there.

As far as an agreement to get me on another flight. That is a BIGGIE. I think I'll take my chances on the $10- and forfeiting it If I need to. I'll just get another flight- that's the chances you take, and I guess I'm a gambler. So far -amount spent $122.60 roundtrip for two- plus $50 for bus/train tickets into manhatten, plus another $20 taxi to and from the dock. That's $192.60 for the entire roundtrip for two people. From Ohio to the port.

That's at least a $350 savings.

Now, as far as getting from here to there, I've taken your advice and looked at a number of options.

Limo- contacted one- V. the price is about $185 plus tip- not bad. We've done that from Houston to a cruise (for 5) and were very happy. but for two- not efficient.

Rental cars-cant find any with pick up and drop off that are convienent and would save money. (We almost always use this method in Miami, Seattle, Los Angelos.)

So, we get in at 10:30, I think we'll take the TLC to the Beacon Station, (on the 11:09) take the Metro-North to Grand Central at 11:50. Arrives at GC at (1:20). Take a taxi to the Port and hopefully be there by 2. Hopefully any deviations we can make up for, even if it means taking a taxi all the way to the port from Stewart.

We've travelled quite a bit and we're (pretty young) and flexible- just the two of us this time with no-one to meet. I'd never attempt this trip with the kids.

Laurie

Let us know how it turns out. Your best bet is your choice to take the train from Beacon direct into Manhattan. Keep your camera out there is plenty of nice scenery to see on the way.

Dont even consider a taxi from SWF to Manhattan. Your budget would go right out the window. But its your wallet.

And the limo price I am sure is one way? So that would be almost 400 round trip?

Keep us posted.

Archived