Library collections

twroths

Does anyone know if there is a library collection listing for any of the Queens? We will be on QV in April and don't want to bring any duplicates of books. Yes, I am one of those people that want a book with pages to turn. :)

Thanks, Tom

• Like 1

Does anyone know if there is a library collection listing for any of the Queens? We will be on QV in April and don't want to bring any duplicates of books. Yes, I am one of those people that want a book with pages to turn. :)

Thanks, Tom

Tom, I'm an avid page turner too :D I haven't come across a book catalogue for any of the ships, but even if the inventory was catalogued, it wouldn't assure us that the book we wanted wasn't already out on loan. Neverthess, I haven't had a problem finding something good to read in the QM2 library (sorry, I have no experience of the library on QV). Regards, -S.

I have a Kindle.. I have given instructions to my wife that she must bury it with me. I have a huge collection of "must read" books in my personal library saved in it -- and it's not looking like I will be able to get sufficient time in the foreseeable future to read them all. Of course, it doesn't help that, as I am reading a book, I usually add another ten during the time that it takes me to read it.

Barry

I haven't had the opportunity to sail on QM2 and the question regarding the library is important to me. I would appreciate it if anyone with an education could attempt to describe the collection. If QM2 only has the collected works of Stephen King in various languages, so state!

I have a Masters degree if that helps. :)

Let's see, 8000 volumes (so we're told), spanning fiction, nonfiction, reference, travel (destinations on that voyage's itinerary are likely to be on restriction so you can read them but not check them out).

Here's a short YouTube video showing a walkthru of the library.

I checked out an Agatha Christie mystery and a book on Bridge during the Christmas cruise but to be honest, like others I read mostly from my Kindle.

On my "funShip" cruise the library literally had 200 books (not many more than that on the Princess cruise) so QM2's collection is not one to sneeze at.

Edited by Underwatr
  • Like 1

I haven't had the opportunity to sail on QM2 and the question regarding the library is important to me. I would appreciate it if anyone with an education could attempt to describe the collection. If QM2 only has the collected works of Stephen King in various languages, so state!

Hi Blueacre. My guess is that the only passengers on Cunard without an education are under the age of 3. Rest assured that if the library on QM2 contained only the works of Stephen King, there would not be over 8,ooo titles in the library.

However, in an attempt to answer your question to your satisfaction: the QM2 library includes books, periodicals and maps of various subjects, just as one would expect to find in a decent library; arguably one of the best at sea. Perhaps unexpectedly, there is an extensive research collection (not to be removed from the library) where one can find answers to some very esoteric questions.

So stated,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

The only failing of the QM2 library is that for a decade the librarians have ignored my suggestions to add to their collection three marvelous books by former Cunard Commodore Sir James Bisset: Sail Ho! My Early Years at Sea; Tramps and Ladies – My Early Years in Steamers; and Commodore – War, Peace and Big Ships.

The only failing of the QM2 library is that for a decade the librarians have ignored my suggestions to add to their collection three marvelous books by former Cunard Commodore Sir James Bisset: Sail Ho! My Early Years at Sea; Tramps and Ladies – My Early Years in Steamers; and Commodore – War, Peace and Big Ships.

pmb, in light of all your efforts to document and provide web accessible information to Cunard passengers, I think it would be appropriate if those books were acquired for the library in your name, as a recognition of your work.

Alternatively, I suppose you could gift the captain one of each of the three books on your next voyages, in the hope that he or she would autograph an acknowledgment to you and donate the books to the ships library.

Anyway, thanks for the recommended reading :)

Cheers,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

As I said earlier -- they have a VERY good magazine collection.

However, attempting to answer the question fully, I don't believe that anything more than a standard High School education is needed to read any of the books on a Cunard ship - I'm not sure about works of Stephen King as I have not read any of those. But I would think that many of the books would require readers to be of a more advanced age than that of a High School student - but that has nothing to do with "Education"

Barry

Would you mind explaining why the contents of this library are so important to you?

Alternatively, I suppose you could gift the captain one of each of the three books on your next voyages, in the hope that he or she would autograph an acknowledgment to you and donate the books to the ships library.

Anyway, thanks for the recommended reading :)

Cheers,

Salacia

Thanks, Salacia, for your over-the-top compliments. I believe that Bisset's books are out of print now, but they are well worth looking for in your local library.

Happy reading,

Paul

Would you mind explaining why the contents of this library are so important to you?

I enjoy reading and learning and a transatlantic crossing presents an excellent opportunity in this regard. I am balancing bringing my own materials and losing luggage space against risking the time I have to enjoy by reliance on this library. I appreciate some of the latter comments.