Why are roatan taxi rates so high ?

overthehillcruiser

As a follow up about the e mail. I sent her a message last night and just got an answer back..Are you sending it to info@turquoisebayresort.com ?

Thank you! Do you know if they charge extra for a chair or anything else if there is no entrance fee?

I emailed them twice and have not heard back...do I just keep trying?

This is how your pick up works

On March 19th. Please exit the gated cruise terminal area via the covered gangway. Make an immediate left, and follow the paved road up past the security gate. Continue down the hill to an assembly area. This is a 250 yards, 5 minute walk.

Look for someone holding a Turquoise Bay sign or if you can’t see us ask one of the other dispatchers and they will point us out. If for some reason we are not there ask a dispatcher to call one of the following numbers: 9885-0840***9989-8315.

Any other question or comments feel free to ask,

Kind regards,

--

Kemberly Green

RESERVATIONS

info@turquoisebayresort.com

Roatan, Bay Islands of Honduras

Tel: (504) 9885 0840

Just got off the Magic at 10 PM Sunday because of oil spill. Real fun. Anyway, we went to Turquoise Bay resort on the more untraveled side of Roatan, our 4th trip to the island. If you are a party animal it may not be for you. If you want total peace and quiet, very few people,no vendors,and would just like to relax, it may be for you. There are no entrance fees. They furnish towels, chairs, shade, restroom, free WIFI..Beer is $3. Food is $10 each, a pretty modest menu. The fish fingers are very good. The place is mostly a dive center for people who fly and stay there. They picked us up on time at mahogany Bay. We had to walk out of the tourist area and down the hill, not that far. You can take a cab for the 300 yards or so for about $2 each. On return they take you all the way back. This costs $25 PP..I might suggest that you just make a deal with one of the drivers at the tour meeting area where we walked to and they will take two people there, pick you up and return you for $40, and you pay when you get back. It is a 30 minute, scenic ride each way.The water is very pretty, but not really ideal for swimming as there is some grass, and no water toys, but there are kayaks for free usage.I will post the photos I took.

SANY2727.jpg

free upload pictures

Edited by overthehillcruiser

You look like you ha a nice day. Nice photos and just as relaxing as I remember. Was there still a bar on the beach? Did you have the lunch buffet or a la carte? We never tried the food as we stopped of at Parrot tree for lunch.

I went on Roatan Beach day and it is Turquoise Bay. It says they will pick you up at the cruise ship terminal for $25/person USD including transport from the cruise ship to the beach and back. With use of all the amenities.

It sounds like we wouldn't need to use the expensive taxi's.

Has anyone used this? It sounds like it would work good for our 92 y/o mother.

Leaving on Sunday so any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks for all the info on this board.

This is exactly what we did and the pictures from there are mine above. My one suggestion though is to get a cab at the pier to take Mom down the hill to the meeting area. We are 65 , good health, no problem for us , but it gets a little steep downhill. On return they will take you all the way back. I promise you will have a hard time finding a more peaceful place. You can e mail Kimberly at info@turquoisebayresrt.com if you have any more questions...Also take some bug spray. We never needed it before but did this time..

I went on Roatan Beach day and it is Turquoise Bay. It says they will pick you up at the cruise ship terminal for $25/person USD including transport from the cruise ship to the beach and back. With use of all the amenities.

Edited by overthehillcruiser

We also went to this resort a couple of years ago with my 90 year old mother and it worked out fine. Also I understand from another thread you are docking at Coxen Hole so you won't need the taxi over the hill. It is probably a 30-40 minute ride.

• 4 months later...

Thanks for coming back and posting pics and a mini review. The pictures are beautiful and it looks like a very nice place.

I'm just wondering why you said that the water wasn't really ideal for swimming? Just because of the sea grass or other reasons?

You also mentioned that it's a dive place for people coming in, do you know if the area from the beach is good for snorkeling? Or is it basically a dive shop that takes people out on tours by boat?

Thanks for the info. :)

Hi. I haven't been here much since we quit cruising and switched to all inclusive resorts..To answer your questions, I am sure you could snorkel at TB , but there is a lot of grass.The divers are taken about a mile out to the reef...We saw people in the water, but there were only a handful on the whole place while we were there. There were several Canadians that were there. One couple were not divers, just liked the peace and tranquility....

Hi. I haven't been here much since we quit cruising and switched to all inclusive resorts..To answer your questions, I am sure you could snorkel at TB , but there is a lot of grass.The divers are taken about a mile out to the reef...We saw people in the water, but there were only a handful on the whole place while we were there. There were several Canadians that were there. One couple were not divers, just liked the peace and tranquility....

Thanks for the info. It doesn't sound like a good place for snorkeling or just swimming. :( I think I'll pass on this place.