White Pass & Yukon Train--Skagway

cruisinlover1414

and now a question that i'm sure has been asked a zillions times:

which side should i try for? From the videos, it seems like the left side is better. Is that true?

When we did this trip 10 years ago, the guide said that they normally ask people to switch sides on the way back so that everybody can get a good view - the train doesn't turn around, but goes in reverse (not really, but you get my drift). Our car was virtually empty, so it wasn't necessary.

I second the motion to go on the platforms when you want pictures. I'm thinking about that steam engine ride - DH is also a train buff, even works for a railroad, so he might like that for something new and different.:)

When we did this trip 10 years ago, the guide said that they normally ask people to switch sides on the way back so that everybody can get a good view - the train doesn't turn around, but goes in reverse (not really, but you get my drift). Our car was virtually empty, so it wasn't necessary.

I second the motion to go on the platforms when you want pictures. I'm thinking about that steam engine ride - DH is also a train buff, even works for a railroad, so he might like that for something new and different.:)

i hope they still do that, as i'm not really great at fighting for position and i'll be with my not so mobile mother, making it more difficult to fight for a place in line to 'grab' the correct side...

and it's worse since i'm very much a go with the flow sort of person, if i end up on the 'wrong' side, i'm fine with it....

my mom is the opposite....she'll be annoyed if we're not on the better side and i won't hear the end of it if we're 'on the wrong side' the entire time :eek:

Edited by alaska_planner

i hope they still do that, as i'm not really great at fighting for position and i'll be with my not so mobile mother, making it more difficult to fight for a place in line to 'grab' the correct side...

and it's worse since i'm very much a go with the flow sort of person, if i end up on the 'wrong' side, i'm fine with it....

my mom is the opposite....she'll be annoyed if we're not on the better side and i won't hear the end of it if we're 'on the wrong side' the entire time :eek:

Yes they do have people switch sides on the round trips. One "trick" to consider, is to sit across from the bathroom (IF it is on the left side out of Skagway), then you don't have anyone to "switch" with. :)

Yes they do have people switch sides on the round trips. One "trick" to consider, is to sit across from the bathroom (IF it is on the left side out of Skagway), then you don't have anyone to "switch" with. :)

very clever!! (and convenient as well, considering the mobility issues)....

and since she'll be in the window seat, noise due to proximity to the bathroom shouldn't be a bother to her ...

is it in the back of the car?

very clever!! (and convenient as well, considering the mobility issues)....

and since she'll be in the window seat, noise due to proximity to the bathroom shouldn't be a bother to her ...

is it in the back of the car?

It depends how the car is hooked up. The bathroom is on an end. Noise isn't of any issue. The train is noisy itself. :)

On the steam train, since we looped around at Frasier Meadows we were automatically on the other side going back down, so need to ask people to switch sides. However, I recommend sitting on the left going out of Skagway simply because the train is slower going up to Frasier and you can get better photos. The trip back down is much faster.

On the steam train, since we looped around at Frasier Meadows we were automatically on the other side going back down, so need to ask people to switch sides. However, I recommend sitting on the left going out of Skagway simply because the train is slower going up to Frasier and you can get better photos. The trip back down is much faster.

my mom has very low vision (she's 'legally blind'), so being next to a window with a view is sort of a must. She won't be able to see anything if she's looking across a train car. I'm already getting tense about getting her a seat.

same is true on the train to seward. I hope we have a seat that she can see something from.

my mom has very low vision (she's 'legally blind'), so being next to a window with a view is sort of a must. She won't be able to see anything if she's looking across a train car. I'm already getting tense about getting her a seat.

same is true on the train to seward. I hope we have a seat that she can see something from.

You may want to just get on the train in a hurry first, and leave something in a seat on the White Pass. There are PLENTY of people who have no clue where to sit. Grab the first window seat if the train isn't empty when you board. This would be IF your mother is slower and needs time to board. Snagging a seat would only take a couple minutes, be ready to go early.

As for the Alaska RR, the seats are assigned. If you are in Adventure class, and if no mobility limitations, head up to the dome car when you are on the "wrong" side.

From Anchorage, the right side is the scenery side first, there is a "chance" of seeing some goats on the right, but with your vision limits I will say forget it. Be on the right side. After Portage, the scenery is going to be on the left. The dome cars have a 20 minute limit on the seats. I've never not been able to get one. Especially with first timers they don't even know it's there and most people do seem to remain in their seats.

If your mother can tolerate standing, doing so after Portage is real close up vistas and spectacular outside viewing from the vestibule.

If you are in the Gold Star, then better upper viewing to also consider.

You may want to just get on the train in a hurry first, and leave something in a seat on the White Pass. There are PLENTY of people who have no clue where to sit. Grab the first window seat if the train isn't empty when you board. This would be IF your mother is slower and needs time to board. Snagging a seat would only take a couple minutes, be ready to go early.

As for the Alaska RR, the seats are assigned. If you are in Adventure class, and if no mobility limitations, head up to the dome car when you are on the "wrong" side.

From Anchorage, the right side is the scenery side first, there is a "chance" of seeing some goats on the right, but with your vision limits I will say forget it. Be on the right side. After Portage, the scenery is going to be on the left. The dome cars have a 20 minute limit on the seats. I've never not been able to get one. Especially with first timers they don't even know it's there and most people do seem to remain in their seats.

If your mother can tolerate standing, doing so after Portage is real close up vistas and spectacular outside viewing from the vestibule.

If you are in the Gold Star, then better upper viewing to also consider.

good idea....i'll tell her to wait a moment and i'll run into the car and grab her a seat...i'll have a backpack for sure, and lots of layers on...i'll just shed a few and put them on the seats.

then go back and get her onto the train...

i'll be on my own with her on that excursion, DD and her husband have already done it and aren't interested in doing it again. Instead they're doing the chilkoot float or something like that. Sounds like fun, but it's not for my mom. So she and i will do the white pass train together.

on anchorage to seward, we're in goldstar - that was her bucket list dream - to ride the glass domed train....initially, we were going to go all the way from fairbanks to anchorage and then anchorage to seward, but DD and i figured just the anchorage to seward portion would be enough...

actually, we're also going by train from anchorage to whittier and back for a pre-cruise glacier excursion, but i don't know how scenic that section is and it doesn't have goldstar service anyway.

i know it will all be fun and interesting and beautiful. I'm just stressing because of my mom (because she tends to stress - we are opposites..competely completely!!!)....

i can't wait to do this whole trip again with DH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

actually, we're also going by train from anchorage to whittier and back for a pre-cruise glacier excursion, but i don't know how scenic that section is and it doesn't have goldstar service anyway.

)

This section has beautiful views of the Arm, right side leaving Anchorage. A very nice scenic addition for a Prince William Sound boat tour.

This section has beautiful views of the Arm, right side leaving Anchorage. A very nice scenic addition for a Prince William Sound boat tour.

i just watched a video someone posted on youtube. It looks really pretty, though that tunnel at whittier is crazy looking! Glad i won't be driving through it!