coco cay - what all is there to do?

jamoka

I am very overwhelmed by the whole excursion thing...

So here is my simple question. We are planning on getting off the boat and enjoying the beach.

Can we use our on board credit to rent snorkeling equipment once we are off the boat? I know that there is a floating water park on the ocean, parasailing, and a blow up slide on the island... what else is there to do? I also know you can rent cabanas... we were not planning on renting a cabana. Are there enough chairs that we will be able to find some (even if they are in the sun)?

Thanks everyone!

You do NOT need to book ANY excursions, if you don't want to! This is the ship's private beach...loungers/hammocks are everywhere...find a perfect spot for you! You can swim, sun, nap, walk, eat lunch, and have a great day without spending money on activites.

You can move the loungers in or out of the sun....they are not bolted to the beach! The 1st beach you come to will be packed....keep on walking and you'll find more secluded places!

I am a beach person...and I love this day!!!

Just like on the ship, they will charge your sea pass for drinks (alcohol and soda)...at the lunch buffet, the included drinks and food are there, just like on the ship!

And yes...you can wait until you're there to decide if you want to rent snorkel equip, or floats (or bring your own!!!)

Edited by cb at sea

Just returned from CoCo Cay from the Serenade OTS. We only used our seapass to rent a locker for our use during our Stingray City tour. I didn't check out the Straw Market but seems like I remember from other posts that it is cash only and the only aspect of the island that doesn't take your sea pass. We didn't have any trouble moving our chairs around as the sun changed. Also, bring beach towels from the ship as you won't be able to get any on the island.

I love HMC for the beach, but as far as place to snorkel by just walking into the water, this is the island to do it in the Bahamas. Coco has scalloped beaches, about 4 of them, straight across from where you get off the tender, and yes the first beach does get crowded, but here you will notice life guards. if that is important to you and your family. Each scallop is lined with rock, which breaks the surf, and rocks draw fish -which you wont see on a sandy beach. I do recommend that you buy yourself some water shoes, this is a rocky bottom, You should get a an inexpensive mask and snorkel before you cruise, if this is your first time doing this. I know they clean them (with salt water) but I dont like to think of my mouth around plastic that had been in someone else's mouth for a few hours.

DH did find that when he took some bread in the water, near the rocks, that alot of fish showed up. ;) But I wouldn't advise that.

Once you walk past the scalloped beaches turn right and you will see a long beach, where the tide goes out forever and never gets very deep. I would love to have explored this area, but DH had injured his ankle when he took a tumble in Nassau, so we limited our walking that day. A very nice island to visit, and you can enjoy the entire day with out spending one dime. Enjoy!

Edited by marshhawk

Besides the beach you can go for a nice walk if you want. There is a sand road that leads from the area to the other end of Coco Cay and to more secluded spots with good views. Just give enough time to get back to the ship. If you are fit and can walk well in the sun it can be done in an hour both ways but give more time to enjoy it if you want more than to just to lie on the beach (not that there's anything wrong with that!!) I used it to work off some of the food! :) Just plan your time well and bring some water. The boat will not wait if you are late! I went early then did the beach thing.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going on a cruise there and we book Para sailing for the day, after that we plan on just chilling on the beach even because the para sailing only takes a hour. So you can always book something spend rest of the day on the beach. Also though seems like theres alot of fun stuff to do even for free. Read theres a hiking trail, so always something to do.

• 2 weeks later...

We were there in October 2014 and I had hoped the Hobie cats were still available there and we could not find them to be rented anywhere. They had kayaks and paddle boards but we didn't see any Hobie cats or sail boats ( like sunfish) at all.

Sorry!