For those that have done Baltic...

Thanks for the advice. Greatly appreciated!

I also wondered how many Euros to get before the trip and if we should also get a few Rubles.

Any suggestions?

What is your itinerary? Kroners are used everywhere but Germany and Russia on our itinerary. Since we travel enough, we do have a few (50)euro left from a trip last year. If we need more in Berlin, which I doubt, we will use an atm. Easy to do. And then we can make sure we don't have a ton leftover. We use credit card for most purchases.

Haven't thought about the Rubles.... :confused: Those for sure I don't want to get extras. Won't need them in the future.

We will buy kroner here in town to keep us going for a while..probably a couple hundred U S $. We like to have local currency on hand when arriving for a city stay so we don't have to be too anxious looking for an atm the first day. We will be in Copenhagen precruise and like to pay local for cabs, trains, small items etc. If we need more, we will then use our atm.

We did Norway a year and a half ago and didn't need too much local currency...just used for tickets on transportation and some small meals and purchases. Just get enough variety of bills.

Edited by eandj

What is your itinerary? Kroners... We will buy kroner here in town to keep us going for a while..probably a couple hundred U S $

The Danish Krone isn't the same currency as the Swedish Krona. The currencies have similar names because the Danish and Swedish languages are similar. Krone/Krona means "crown" in their respective languages.

Right now, XE.com is showing a conversion rate of 1 USD = 6.5 DKK (Danish Krone) and a conversion rate of 1 USD = 8 SEK (Swedish Krona)

If you want to have some local money for visiting both countries, you'll need to get two different types of currency.

We will arrive in Copenhagen 2 days before our cruise, then it's Oslo; Gothenburg; Warnemunde, Tallinn; 2 days in St Petersburg; Helsinki; Stockholm and back to Copenhagen. We will be on tours everywhere but Helsinki which we are doing on our own. We will need some money to pay for the transport tip to the hotel, from the hotel to the ship, and to tip tour guides and drivers. I'll have an Atm card and credit cards. That is why I was debating how much USD to take and whether to get some Euros and a few Rubles before we go. Any suggestions?

We will arrive in Copenhagen 2 days before our cruise, then it's Oslo; Gothenburg; Warnemunde, Tallinn; 2 days in St Petersburg; Helsinki; Stockholm and back to Copenhagen. We will be on tours everywhere but Helsinki which we are doing on our own. We will need some money to pay for the transport tip to the hotel, from the hotel to the ship, and to tip tour guides and drivers. I'll have an Atm card and credit cards. That is why I was debating how much USD to take and whether to get some Euros and a few Rubles before we go. Any suggestions?

In my earlier post (#28) I only mentioned Danish and Swedish Krone/Krona since those are the only two ports on our itinerary. However, there is also a Norwegian Krone (NOK) XE.com is showing the following conversion rate:

1 USD = 7 NOK.

I'm not the right person to ask about how many Euro to get in advance. We always end one Euro zone vacation with the equivalent of 100 Euro to keep until the next vacation. That's enough of a cushion that we can simply wait until we're in the Euro zone to hit a local ATM. (Ditto for Great British Pounds)

I wouldn't get any rubles before you go. You'll have plenty of opportunities once you get there to pick some up. We stayed in Copenhagen post cruise and got local money when at ATMs. For the most part, we didn't use much cash on that vacation, with the exception of euros. Enjoy - great itinerary and vacation.

I wouldn't get any rubles before you go. You'll have plenty of opportunities once you get there to pick some up. We stayed in Copenhagen post cruise and got local money when at ATMs. For the most part, we didn't use much cash on that vacation, with the exception of euros. Enjoy - great itinerary and vacation.

Thanks so much!

Thanks so much!

Lynne and John

Love your screen name. If it weren't for the Giants, that might be my other choice. :D:D:D:D

And to answer your question, like has been said, I would forgo any

Rubles for now. How are you seeing St Petersburg? If, on a private tour, they will secure some Rubles for you if needed, or else you can hit an ATM. As for Copenhagen, I would get enough Krone to get you started. After that, again, hit any ATM for whatever you might need. Myself, we exchanged about $50 in several currencies before we left and used CC for most other stuff. Never did have to use an ATM, but we were very happy to use the local currency. Just made us feel more part of that city and country using their money.

Cheers

Len

Lynne and John

Love your screen name. If it weren't for the Giants, that might be my other choice. :D:D:D:D

And to answer your question, like has been said, I would forgo any

Rubles for now. How are you seeing St Petersburg? If, on a private tour, they will secure some Rubles for you if needed, or else you can hit an ATM. As for Copenhagen, I would get enough Krone to get you started. After that, again, hit any ATM for whatever you might need. Myself, we exchanged about $50 in several currencies before we left and used CC for most other stuff. Never did have to use an ATM, but we were very happy to use the local currency. Just made us feel more part of that city and country using their money.

Cheers

Len

Funny but we are in the San Francisco Bay Area- also Giants territory and my cousin's name is Len. He lives in Delaware.

We are on an SPB Tour in St Petersburg so need some cash for a tip. Did you get some Euros too? We have transfers scheduled from the airport to the hotel, and the hotel to the ship. How much should we tip?

Regards,

Lynne

• 2 weeks later...
We are on an SPB Tour in St Petersburg so need some cash for a tip. Did you get some Euros too? We have transfers scheduled from the airport to the hotel, and the hotel to the ship. How much should we tip?

Regards,

Lynne

Lynne - I think for the tip in St Petersburg, you can use any currency. I've seen suggested tips as 10% of tour cost to guide and 5% of tour cost to driver. That was what is suggested for our tour.

Carrie

Funny but we are in the San Francisco Bay Area- also Giants territory and my cousin's name is Len. He lives in Delaware.

Regards,

Lynne

We did get euro's, as we did other ports where euros are the currency, as well as a post cruise trip to Paris. As for the tip, they will accept any currency. if you are paying in cash, then tip with the same currency. if you are using a CC, then tip with whatever you have available.

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13