Best route for Boston Whaler

amberjohn

We are renting a 13' Whaler for 4 hours on July 13th, 2015 (from Somerset).

Is 4 hours enough time for a rental? At the minimum we would like to take a swim, snorkel and visit the Vixen.

Can you go to Hamilton in the time allotted? Is the glass beach worth a stop? What are the best small islands to stop at? Where else should I consider stopping at?

My kids (age 19 and 22) have shown an interest in fishing. Has anyone rented fishing equipment? Is fishing a waste of time or worth it?

Thanks...

We rented from Somerset Watersports two years ago. The Vixen is right out from their docking area and easily reached in the Whaler. We used the map that the owners gave us and just went up and around a point and came upon a beautiful beach area but it was quite crowded with other swimmers. We stayed there for a while and then moved on up the coast and under a road bridge. We found a small beach that mostly locals use and we swam there for a while. We were not snorkeling so I can't help you there. Our Grandsons rented fishing gear and they caught some interesting looking fish while others were swimming at the second beach. We had a Whaler and their pontoon boat since there were 15 people in our party. You can no longer take glass from the Glass Beach so I really would not bother going there. There are lots of small beaches along the way that you can pull into and go swimming. Don't think trying to go to Hamilton would be a good idea. By the time you got there, you would have to turn around and come back. Besides, you have a boat rented to use, not to tie up at a dock and shop. the trip to Hamilton, in my opinion would be a waste of your rental time. The crew at Somerset will point out where you should try swimming and even snorkeling. They give you a map that is laminated to take along with you in the boat. We had the boats for the 4 hour time period and had plenty of time to explore around Somerset Island and then back under the Somerset Drawbridge back into the Watersports docking area. Have fun. We really did.

We rented from Somerset also and found great spots near Daniel's Head to anchor and swim, fish, and snorkel. Then we found a private beach and we used up every minute of our 6 hour rental. My son caught Bermuda Bream and my husband caught a barracuda from the poles/tackle that we rented.

We just came back 2 weeks ago and rented both the jet ski and then the boat and had a blast!

We rented from H2O and just know that they all have a certain area you are allowed to take them to. So when you said you wondered if you had enough time to go to Hamilton, you would probably not be allowed to take the boat that far. You would have to rent one from that area instead.

I did a complete review (in my signature line) with TONS of pictures if you are interested. It will show you what we did in that area: vixen, private island, down by Daniels head, went to sea glass, circled around past Snorkel Park and around the ships and down the bay. It was awesome.