Self Planning Excursions vs Going Through Cruise Line

rdf145

Hi All!

Firstly I would like to say that from lurking for a few days, I really have never witnessed such helpful, friendly and informative posts on an internet forum. The class and respect people show one another is fantastic.

I did have a couple of questions about booking excursions through HAL or just doing it on your own when you reach port.

Schedule is as follows: First 3 days on the boat, then Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan and Victoria before returning to Seattle. 7/5 to 7/12.

For Juneau I have read that the Mendenhall glacier is a must see, but I wanted to clear up if I need to go through HAL to get shuttle tickets, or if this is something that can be accomplished cheaper on my own. Also want to check out the Alaska Beer Brewery, can I get there easily from the glacier via shuttle or taxi?

For Sitka, the Bear/Birds/Barnacles tour seems awesome and there is another combination of Sea Otter boat ride/Bears but they are very pricy. Can this be planned without booking through HAL or is it exclusive to HAL passengers?

For Ketchikan, we are up in the air if we should try dry suit snorkeling, a nature boat ride/crab feast, or go exploring in Tongass National Forest. This again mostly comes down if we can plan/pay for this on our own and not book through HAL.

It seems like the main question is if it is absolutely necessary to book excursions through HAL or if you can just do it yourself when you reach port. I have only been on one cruise, and that was to the Caribbean where we just disembarked and caught a cab to the closest inclusive beach resort ourselves.

Last question, sorta unrelated, but where can I find out which night is formal dinner night? I tried looking on the HAL website but I could not find it. Also, am I allowed to pack a Gatorade or two/1.5L water bottle in my luggage that I check with HAL? Will they confiscate the Gatorade?

And any other tips or suggestions or anything else about Alaska is always appreciated. It seems that this community is quite knowledgeable so I cant wait to hear what you all have to add.

You can book tours any way you choose, no you do not have to go through HAL, with rare exceptions.

Juneau- do YOU have an interest in going to Mendenhall? I caution people who, state "must see". Depending on you, there is plenty "must see" and more than you can do in 10 trips. :) Are you open to a car rental? A better use of time with your two areas, Mendenhall and Brewery. Plus the option for see way more. Simple easy driving. Two easy port area car rentals. There is a Mendenhall shuttle bus that runs loops for $20pp, pick up at the tram parking lot. The Alaskan Brewery has it's own shuttle bus.

Ketchikan, you can do plenty of tours here independent.

Sitka- one point you may not realize- if your "bear" touring is Fortress of the Bears- then these are captive. A whole different experience, in my opinion, compared to in the wild. I definitely am picky about my vendor in Sitka, as I have particular preferences where I go. Ship tours are general and if interested in seeing puffins- not likely to go to the area with a cruise tour.

Alaska is no comparison to the Caribbean. You will not find big differences in tour prices between ship booked and independent, but tours are usually with smaller numbers, can be longer, and usually get more personal interaction. In Alaska, you will want to have all your plans and reservations in place before you leave. Time is short when you get there, and the available tours are limited. An example- you likely would not find your Ketchikan tours available with walk up.

For Juneau I have read that the Mendenhall glacier is a must see, but I wanted to clear up if I need to go through HAL to get shuttle tickets, or if this is something that can be accomplished cheaper on my own. Also want to check out the Alaska Beer Brewery, can I get there easily from the glacier via shuttle or taxi?
Very easy to do on your own, and you can sometimes save money that way.

Many like to wait until they get to Juneau to see what the weather is like that day before deciding whether or not to buy shuttle tickets to go out to the glacier.

When your ship gets to Juneau, look up the mountainside to see the tram cars going up and down the mountain. Notice where they come down.

Right down by the base of the tram is where they sell tickets for the shuttle buses and for the various types of excursions, such as whale watching. You can just get off the ship and walk right over there.

If you have several people in your party and want to visit multiple places that day, you can usually save time and money by getting a rental car for the day instead of buying shuttle tickets or taking a taxi.

Another time saving option, if going whale watching that day, is to see if your whale watching vendor will drop you off at Mendenhall Glacier.

It seems like the main question is if it is absolutely necessary to book excursions through HAL or if you can just do it yourself when you reach port.
It is almost never necessary to book Alaska excursions through HAL (or any other cruise line), with a few exceptions. Otherwise it is strictly personal choice.

Although you can wait to book most excursions after you reach port, there are some excursions with limited capacity that are better to book in advance because they may sell out.

This is especially so if you insist on going only with one specific favorite vendor.

For someone from Texas, Alaska would be extremely easy for you to do on your own since you speak the language, have no currency conversion concerns, and are already accustomed to driving on the right side of the road.

Edited by varoo

We have booked our own shore excursions rather easily especially since we just booked last week for a cruise leaving this Sunday ;)

I've heard mixed things about the Mendenhall Glacier. We will probably go there just to fill our morning time before our whale watching tour at 3:00 p.m. but I'm expecting to be a little underwhelmed. From what our whale watching vendor (Orca) said, it's VERY easy to catch a shuttle to and from the glacier so I would not book through the ship. Some reviews of the ship's excursion claims there is too little time spent there to appreciate it at all.

We are just renting a car in Skagway and setting out on our own. It was easy to book. I'm assuming other ports have that option as well.

For Ketchikan, we booked a salmon charter on our own but we are paying a little more ($30pp) than the ship price. However, our boat will have less people and thus more actual fishing time and they are going to let us fish for salmon and halibut for 6 hours.

We disembark in Seward so we are taking the bus into Anchorage Int'l and picking up a car to explore the Anchorage area for the day since our flight doesn't leave until midnight. The shuttle company we are using was $25 less pp than the cruise line transfer. Plus, we'll get a narrated wildlife tour on the way and stop at the wildlife refuge.

So, all that being said, you can easily plan your own if you are able to do the research and compare the options. There are also secondary cruise excursion websites out there specifically devoted to cruise excursions all over the world that list several options for Alaska. You could look at those and get an idea of what is typically offered.

I've heard mixed things about the Mendenhall Glacier. We will probably go there just to fill our morning time before our whale watching tour at 3:00 p.m. but I'm expecting to be a little underwhelmed. From what our whale watching vendor (Orca) said, it's VERY easy to catch a shuttle to and from the glacier so I would not book through the ship. Some reviews of the ship's excursion claims there is too little time spent there to appreciate it at all..
It depends on one's perspective. For anyone who visited Mendenhall years ago and has not seen it recently, it can be quite a shock to see how much it has receded.

It could also be disappointing by comparison after visiting Hubbard Glacier or Glacier Bay.

But one does not go out to Mendenhall just to look at the glacier. It is the total experience. There are nice hiking paths and the visitor center to explore, with great scenic views all around.

Some enjoy kayaking on the lake there.

Those who are less adventurous enjoy taking the walk out along the edge of the lake to the waterfall.

It is best not to schedule a set pickup time at Mendenhall but to keep your options open so that you can spend as little or as much time there that day as you like and leave whenever you are ready.

You should be the one who determines how much time you get to spend there once you get out there, not be tied to some tour operator's schedule in advance.

You may wish to stay longer if the weather is nice, or if there are bears out there to observe that day, or a ranger presentation of interest, or you may get tired or cold and want to leave sooner.

By the way, the office of the whale watching vendor you mention, Orca, is located right across from the base of the tramway and they have one of the best whale watching boats, the Orca Odysea.

For Seward, I would highly recommend taking a Kenai Fjords excursion before heading up to Anchorage.

Edited by fleckle

Hi All!

Firstly I would like to say that from lurking for a few days, I really have never witnessed such helpful, friendly and informative posts on an internet forum. The class and respect people show one another is fantastic.

I did have a couple of questions about booking excursions through HAL or just doing it on your own when you reach port.

Schedule is as follows: First 3 days on the boat, then Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan and Victoria before returning to Seattle. 7/5 to 7/12.

For Sitka, the Bear/Birds/Barnacles tour seems awesome and there is another combination of Sea Otter boat ride/Bears but they are very pricy. Can this be planned without booking through HAL or is it exclusive to HAL passengers?

For Ketchikan, we are up in the air if we should try dry suit snorkeling, a nature boat ride/crab feast, or go exploring in Tongass National Forest. This again mostly comes down if we can plan/pay for this on our own and not book through HAL.

It seems like the main question is if it is absolutely necessary to book excursions through HAL or if you can just do it yourself when you reach port. I have only been on one cruise, and that was to the Caribbean where we just disembarked and caught a cab to the closest inclusive beach resort ourselves.

Last question, sorta unrelated, but where can I find out which night is formal dinner night? I tried looking on the HAL website but I could not find it. Also, am I allowed to pack a Gatorade or two/1.5L water bottle in my luggage that I check with HAL? Will they confiscate the Gatorade?

And any other tips or suggestions or anything else about Alaska is always appreciated. It seems that this community is quite knowledgeable so I cant wait to hear what you all have to add.

For booking excursions I would personally always go through the cruise line as it is more secure and less of a hassle. However it depends on your personal preference. Occasionally I might do my own excursion but only if what I really want to do isn't available from the cruise.

I wouldn't think that they would take Gatorade.