which glacier dog sled trip: Godwin or Punch Bowl?

rjm11

I am planning our trip for next summer, and my husband feels strongly about trying to include one of the helicopter dog sled tours. There are two that might fit our itinerary- the Godwin Glacier one out of Seward, or the Punch Bowl glacier one out of Girdwood (through either Seavey's or Alpine Air directly.... same price). The Godwin one is a little cheaper, but not much. Has anyone done either of these? Thoughts?

I am planning our trip for next summer, and my husband feels strongly about trying to include one of the helicopter dog sled tours. There are two that might fit our itinerary- the Godwin Glacier one out of Seward, or the Punch Bowl glacier one out of Girdwood (through either Seavey's or Alpine Air directly.... same price). The Godwin one is a little cheaper, but not much. Has anyone done either of these? Thoughts?

I have flown with Godwin's, but not to the dog camp. Seavey's, contracts with Alpine Air who operates the tour. I had a short flight with Alpine Air, for a snowmobile trip.

Both are long operating vendors. I instead suggest, you take a detailed look at your other activities, and the timing of your itinerary. The fit the tour in, where it makes the best use of your time. If that doesn't matter to you, flip a coin?

Any particular reason you are doing a dog sledding trip on the Kenai?

as opposed to somewhere else you mean? We are doing a land vacation- we will be in Kenai peninsula (Girdwood, Seward, Homer) and also Denali area. Is there a glacier dog sledding experience you would recommend that is not in the Kenai peninsula?

There is a great helicopter/dog sled ride on the Knik glacier. Look up the Knik River Lodge...it runs out of there...it is about 40 minutes north of Anchorage...and it is a good operation. The two primary mushers are both Iditarod mushers and darned good people...