What are the 'Must' items to purchase in Dominica

I Love NC

What are some things you have purchased in Dominica, that are native to the area. Things I must consider buying!!! Thank you all in advance

Not meaning to be too disrespectful to your serious question, the good news is that here in Grenada and Dominica, your potentials might be better than in the overly and too commercially-focused Dutch ABC Islands.

For some Caribbean islands, in my personal opinion, there are a limited number of "must buy" items.

Dominica is a special challenge due to its recent tropical storm damage. PLUS, what you love about here is how it is the totally opposite of the overly-commercial hype you will see in places such as the Dutch ABC islands.

At the place where you dock, there are number of local crafts offered. Maybe some of those might work. Or, be of interest. Maybe not. Check out my pictures of main downtown that posted on another thread on this Dominica CC board.

Reactions and added questions?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 29,117 views for these postings.

The only "native American" people left in the Caribbean, the Caribs (that's where "Caribbean" comes from), live on Dominica. If you visit their reserve, you might find some genuine handicrafts.

But to me Dominica's greatest asset is their natural beauty. Get a great camera and take tons of pictures!

The only "native American" people left in the Caribbean, the Caribs (that's where "Caribbean" comes from), live on Dominica. If you visit their reserve, you might find some genuine handicrafts. But to me Dominica's greatest asset is their natural beauty. Get a great camera and take tons of pictures!

Yes, agree 100% with this observation by this San Juan poster about the unique beauty on this island. Also, you have nailed it on their "native" population. We really loved and was impressed by the beauty and charm of this island. We were lucky to be there when their major Carnival parade was happening in their twisting downtown area with its historic downtown that has so much "character".

Our B2B cruise finished in San Juan and we had three days there. It was our first visit to PR and we super loved that town and area. Especially, the Old Town was super wonderful in San Juan. Many shops, historic places, museums, open air cafes, restaurants, homes, tree-shaded plazas and classic beauty are there.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 29,247 views for these postings.

• 4 weeks later...
What are some things you have purchased in Dominica, that are native to the area. Things I must consider buying!!! Thank you all in advance

I agree; there is nothing in particular native to Dominica. Do take a tour to at least one of the two falls. It is a drive, but you will see the countryside and what others are talking about. Levi or My Sister's tours are good.

We are doing a whale watching tour with "Dive Dominica". They are listed on Trip advisor. We have wanted to get to Dominica to be able to do this for years because the whales and dolphins are there year round. There are several companies that do the tour as you'll be able to see if you go to http://www.dominica.dm/index.php/day-trips?sobi2Task=sobi2Details&catid=14&sobi2Id=36

Or http://www.dominicawatersports.com/

Have a great time!