Day Trip Palma de Mallorca with Rental Car

I'll be in Palma in early November while on the Celebrity Silhouette with friends. We dock at 10am, depart 8pm. I believe we should be at the Budget rental car by 10:30am and on the road by 11am. Wanting to get back to the rental office by 6pm, that give us 7 hours for our day trip.

This is our 3rd time in Palma and we've seen many of the sites in town; as well as a day trip to Valldemossa.

I found a day trip suggestion in a guidebook to the western side of the island. I believe it's best for someone that can get an early start and have a very full day.

I know we won't be able to stop at every location, so I'd like your input on what places we definitely should stop to see. Soller is definitely a stopping point for me.

Here's the list of places (clockwise from Palma):

Santa Ponca

Port d'Andratx

Andratx

Estellencs

Banyalbufar

Deia

Llucalcari

Soller

Port de Soller

Fornalutx

Jardins d'Alfabia

Raixa

I'm looking for scenery and photo ops, and quaint/charming villages.

I did a google directions and total time (just the driving) is 4 hours.

Are there some lookout scenery that's 'duplicated' that we can drop? Should I concentrate on second half of the list (go counter-clock wise and see Raixa, Fornalutx, Soller, Port de Soller and one more place)? Anything that absolutely stands out over other places?

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks!

Monica

Edited by Compass Rose Monica

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from a 14 day holiday in Puerto de Pollenca, and we visited Soller and Puerto de Soller during our holiday.

Both are pleasant enough places, but I wouldn't spend a lot of time driving to visit them. Why not take the train from Palma to Soller, and then the tram from Soller to Puerto de Soller . The times and further details can be found here: http://www.trendesoller.com/en/cms.php/timetable_and_prices

Edited by wowzz

As a different suggestion, how about driving to the NorthEast of the island, to Alcudia [NOT Puerto Alcudia].Takes about 1 hour, mainly motorway. This was the original capital of the island, and has old walls, narrow streets, plus, of course, tourists!. Then drive to Puerto Pollenca, and have lunch overlooking the Med. Finally to Pollenca, and climb the 365 steps to the Calvari church. Another hour's drive will get you back to Palma.

Thanks wowzz for the suggestions.

The train is not doable for us based on the timing, so we will stick with the rental car. I'll read up on your NE route.

Do you have any recommendations for lunch?

Monica

To be honest, there are a lot to choose from and I would just go for whichever one takes your fancy and has a menu that you like. We liked IRU, but that was largely because the staff, all from Seville, were taken by my strange Anglo/Andalusian accent!

We did this from 11 am with lunch (best fresh seafood all around) at beautiful port, shopping and traveling about 1 1/2 hours SW to see the most beautiful glass LaFiore makes. We were almost in Palma when we left LaFiore and returned to Picafort on the north beach.

Also, on the northwest coast are the highest mountains ever--really rock-like just coming out of the sea.

I have been collecting this LaFiore glass for 20 years. Check it out in most airports and tourists spots. I lived in Menorca for about 15 years when we could enjoy our boating during the summer and early fall.

The high season is over and the traffic will not be too bad. Have a great time!