Visiting Butchart Gardens

rsato

I wanted to pass along a suggestion for visiting the Butchart Gardens in Victoria, B.C. Directly behind the Empress Fairmont Hotel on Douglas Street is Budget Rent A Car (as well as National - they share a parking lot). If you have more than one person in your party going to the gardens, I recommend renting a car - we paid $30 for a weekday rental. It takes about 30 minutes to reach the Butchart Gardens and with the current exchange rate of about 0.70 US to Canadian, $21USD per person admission to get it. I recommend having driving directions printed out in advance as the signage has something to be desired. You can return the car even after the Budget office closes at 6pm (drop off box).

Considering the price of the CVS bus (not to mention cruise ship tours), renting a car offers significant price advantages in addition to time flexibility.

We recently rented a car from Budget and visited Butchart Gardens and also Fort Rodd Hill and Fisgard Lighthouse. It was a very easy DIY tour day, which was at our own pace and cheaper than organized tours. Budget also provides pick up and drop off at the cruise terminal. We used a phone booth at the terminal to call for pick up since our cellphone doesn't work in Canada. Look for current discount codes for Budget. It was easy peasy.

Edited by marys350

I do like the Budget operation in Victoria and have over the years suggested to people that they consider that option to get out to the Gardens. There is also the option of taking the transit bus (details can be found on the Gardens' website...and that is even less expensive). However, these options are good if a person arrives in Victoria in the mid-afternoon....they really aren't a good option for a person on a ship that arrives in the early evening.