Looking for current Labadee Snorkelling info

calypso73

Hi,

I have run searches but it keeps bringing up threads from 5 - 10+ years ago so I'm looking for something a little more current.

I am travelling on Oasis in January 2016 stopping at Labadee, Cozumel and Falmouth. I will be travelling alone (well with 6000 strangers on the ship) and would like to do some snorkelling

So my questions:

1) Is it possible to rent snorkelling gear on Labadee? (have read both yes and no answers to this so looking for current info. I am travelling from Australia and spending several weeks in the US before the cruise so its not feasible to bring my own).

2) Is it compulsory to wear a life vest? - again i've read conflicting responses. I'm a competent swimmer and havent had to wear flotation devices snorkelling since I was a kid

3) Am I better taking an excursion? There seem to be a couple of snorkelling ones offered - Speedboat and Snorkel, Labadee Snorkel Safari.

4) I was also considering the Adults only sandbar excursion or the Malfini Castaway excursion. Is there snorkelling on either of those excursion? and can I use my drinks package on the excursion like I can at the bars on land?

Also wondering about the rest of the time on the island. Being alone its cost prohibitive to rent a cabana or anything so I'll just be grabbing a beach chair somewhere (yes I know I have to tip the guy that sets it up for me). Do these come with umbrellas for shade? What is security like? I have read somewhere that there are lockers. I was thinking of bringing my kindle along for when I'm not in the water. Are the lockers close to the beach so that's a feasible option? Also am i likely to "lose" my chair if I spend an hour swimming or snorkelling and just leave a towel on it?

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

1) Is it possible to rent snorkelling gear on Labadee? (have read both yes and no answers to this so looking for current info. I am travelling from Australia and spending several weeks in the US before the cruise so its not feasible to bring my own).

2) Is it compulsory to wear a life vest? - again i've read conflicting responses. I'm a competent swimmer and havent had to wear flotation devices snorkelling since I was a kid

3) Am I better taking an excursion? There seem to be a couple of snorkelling ones offered - Speedboat and Snorkel, Labadee Snorkel Safari.

4) I was also considering the Adults only sandbar excursion or the Malfini Castaway excursion. Is there snorkelling on either of those excursion? and can I use my drinks package on the excursion like I can at the bars on land?

Also wondering about the rest of the time on the island. Being alone its cost prohibitive to rent a cabana or anything so I'll just be grabbing a beach chair somewhere (yes I know I have to tip the guy that sets it up for me). Do these come with umbrellas for shade? What is security like? I have read somewhere that there are lockers. I was thinking of bringing my kindle along for when I'm not in the water. Are the lockers close to the beach so that's a feasible option? Also am i likely to "lose" my chair if I spend an hour swimming or snorkelling and just leave a towel on it?

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

They do rent snorkel gear. They say you have to wear the vest but recent threads indicate it is not enforced. When I am forced to wear the vest I don't blow any air into it. I don't think the snorkeling is really worth it from any beach on Labadee that I have been on but I have not tried on the Adrenaline Beach side. That is a rocky beach so it might be better. (rocky beaches tend to have better snorkeling in the Caribbean) I have not done any of the excursions you are thinking about but if they don't mention snorkeling you should not expect it. The excursions that do mention snorkeling will provide the equipment.

As far as the beaches I don't think the lockers are that convenient. I don't bring my iPad unless I am traveling with others. On cruises I always bring a paper book for the beaches if I am solo since I may be going to other beaches at ports that don't have security by myself. Also if you are traveling solo you might make friends onboard and hangout at the beach with them. Hopefully you have signed up and and are on your roll call. I was solo last December and was at a beach with a couple I met onboard and we watched each others stuff. You won't lose your chair if you roam around. After you get the chair and leave something on it none will bother your stuff the whole day. There are more than enough chairs and they don't run out. They don't have umbrellas. They have some clamshell things but they look to hot to be inside for me. At Nellies Beach and more so at Columbus Cove there are some trees that provide decent shade. Since I need shade I get to Columbus Cove early and have the guy that sets up the chair set mine up in a shady area.