Tortuguero Canals Tours

S/V Odyssey

My husband and I have booked a Tortuguero Canal tour including a city tour, banana plantation and the central market with puertolimon.net. We need two more participants to make the minimum of 4. I cannot find any reviews of this company and I hesitate to put it on our roll call without recommendations. Has anyone used this company? Their website indicates they specialize in shore excursions. Yes, their name is their website address.

Sharan

We will be aboard HAL's Amsterdam calling on Puerto Limon.

Thanks. Didn't know that was a regular large cruise ship stop.

I know you didn't ask for advice about the tour, but having done it twice, I have some suggestions. If you are interested in wildlife, concentrate on the canal. The wildlife can be spectacular and be sure to bring your binoculars.

• 3 weeks later...

If you search, Syl Travel that tour matches the Tortuguero Canals Tour listed on their website. I read good reviews about them. I contacted them today about a tour for 1/12/16 and they got back to me right away.

• 3 weeks later...

My sister and I used Syltravel to tour Costa Rica and do the Torteguero canal. We were the only ones booked for our tour so we received a lot of personal attention. I would recommend them if you don't want to be part of a big group. They went out of their way to show us lots of things a bigger tour could not accommodate. We saw the banana plantation operation, the canal, a very nice beach and ended up in town. The only thing I would have liked to do differently would have been to visit a market place to shop instead of the tourist shop we did stop at. I had wanted to see a sloth and our guide found one in a tree in the middle of town and went out of her way to take me there to see it. Very good excursion.

Hi

My husband and I just booked this cruise and would be interested in joining a group tour of Limon. Do you have room for 2 more? since it is getting so late, please feel free to contact us by email at hudacin@sympatico.ca

Jean 'n Joe

Hi Jean,

I was not sure if you were referring to my response.

Are you on the Coral Princess Jan 6th?

Below is what I posted on the roll call for Coral Jan 6, 2016. No reservations needed.

Please let me know,

Jill

Limon, Costa Rica Tour with Syl Travel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone is interested, I contacted Syl Travel about their Tortuguero Canals Tour.

They will meet us at the pier, price is $55 per person.

I choose this tour because it does the canal first thing in the morning, it included the banana plantation, city tour and a stop for lunch, estimated lunch price $10 per person.

Per their website:

Tortuguero Canals Tour

The tour will start in the early morning depending on your arrival time, we will pick you up and drive you to a smaller port named Moin, and here you will board a boat with rooftop and comfortable seats. That will lead you through the living jungle that stretches over the narrow canals, formed by the rivers born in the high mountains,

making their way to the sea. Common sightings here are monkeys, crocodiles, iguanas and sloths. The canals are also considered a bird watcher’s paradise, so keep your eyes open!The canals of Tortuguero are without a doubt one of the main attractions in Costa Rica, and this is a unique opportunity to experience this natural wonder. You will pass through some of the country’s most fertile areas and learn about Costa Rica’s main agricultural products. Along the way, you will see cocoa plantations and ornamental flowers.

The boat ride will take about 1 hour, after this we will be taking you for a city tour that will show you our entire Caribbean coast, from the Chiquita Banana plantation to a stop in our central market to buy some of the best coffee in the world.

After all this adventure El Faro Restaurant is the perfect place to enjoy the magnificent food and view (lunch not included). A calypso band playing live will cheer us up.

Includes: Includes Bilingual tour guide, Transportation in a comfortable air conditioned van, Canal Tour fee and City Tour.

What to bring: Sun Glasses, Mosquito Repellent, Binoculars, Camera and Sun Block.

Price: $55 per person

5 hours tour.

Bilingual tour guide

Transportation (A/C)

Hi Jean,

I was not sure if you were referring to my response.

Are you on the Coral Princess Jan 6th?

Below is what I posted on the roll call for Coral Jan 6, 2016. No reservations needed.

Please let me know,

Jill

Limon, Costa Rica Tour with Syl Travel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone is interested, I contacted Syl Travel about their Tortuguero Canals Tour.

They will meet us at the pier, price is $55 per person.

I choose this tour because it does the canal first thing in the morning, it included the banana plantation, city tour and a stop for lunch, estimated lunch price $10 per person.

Per their website:

Tortuguero Canals Tour

The tour will start in the early morning depending on your arrival time, we will pick you up and drive you to a smaller port named Moin, and here you will board a boat with rooftop and comfortable seats. That will lead you through the living jungle that stretches over the narrow canals, formed by the rivers born in the high mountains,

making their way to the sea. Common sightings here are monkeys, crocodiles, iguanas and sloths. The canals are also considered a bird watcher’s paradise, so keep your eyes open!The canals of Tortuguero are without a doubt one of the main attractions in Costa Rica, and this is a unique opportunity to experience this natural wonder. You will pass through some of the country’s most fertile areas and learn about Costa Rica’s main agricultural products. Along the way, you will see cocoa plantations and ornamental flowers.

The boat ride will take about 1 hour, after this we will be taking you for a city tour that will show you our entire Caribbean coast, from the Chiquita Banana plantation to a stop in our central market to buy some of the best coffee in the world.

After all this adventure El Faro Restaurant is the perfect place to enjoy the magnificent food and view (lunch not included). A calypso band playing live will cheer us up.

Includes: Includes Bilingual tour guide, Transportation in a comfortable air conditioned van, Canal Tour fee and City Tour.

What to bring: Sun Glasses, Mosquito Repellent, Binoculars, Camera and Sun Block.

Price: $55 per person

5 hours tour.

Bilingual tour guide

Transportation (A/C)

I will not be on your cruise,but will be on the Coral in April. Can you please report back after you take this tour? It sounds very interesting. Thanks so much.

I will not be on your cruise,but will be on the Coral in April. Can you please report back after you take this tour? It sounds very interesting. Thanks so much.

Yes, I would like to hear about it also. We are doing the Coral in April, 2016.:):)

• 1 month later...

So sorry for the delay. The cruise was wonderful but a few days after we returned we got the dreaded 3-4 week cold that was going around. Do not think we got it on the cruise ship but at my local grocery store.

Our tour was with Evelyn and driver Manuela. They we waiting for us at the pier. You do need to walk past the Princess tour buses.

We did the canal tour in a smaller boat with 6 people. No crocs, lots of birds, some monkeys but I did not see them.

The banana tour was very good. Evelyn did a wonderful job explaining the process.

They made stops along the way to show us different plants. It is amazing how they can spot sloths in a tree driving by. They are very hard to see in the wild. It will look like a hairy coconut so if you really want to experience sloths I would do the sloth tour. We met people who did that and really enjoyed it.

We did see a bunch of monkeys in the wild on the drive back. We did not do lunch as it was so early; I do not believe any restaurants were open. Maybe make it a bit later start if that is a priority. We had done the small ferry boat through the extra 2 canals the day before so I think my husband was glad to get back to the ship early.

I would definitely take Syl over the Princess tour (boat and banana tour).

If we had not planned the long day in Panama, we would have probably done the all day rain forest, etc tour in Costa Rica.

820922276_monkey2.jpg.eeb76ce86fd5f75f35360cac7caf4635.jpg

sloth.jpg.5f3b0e1af26010c86adf9afafdef0881.jpg

780116592_jclizardcosta.jpg.02d1cb30a99adb39967b6666c2dfb90b.jpg

So sorry for the delay. The cruise was wonderful but a few days after we returned we got the dreaded 3-4 week cold that was going around. Do not think we got it on the cruise ship but at my local grocery store.

Our tour was with Evelyn and driver Manuela. They we waiting for us at the pier. You do need to walk past the Princess tour buses.

We did the canal tour in a smaller boat with 6 people. No crocs, lots of birds, some monkeys but I did not see them.

The banana tour was very good. Evelyn did a wonderful job explaining the process.

They made stops along the way to show us different plants. It is amazing how they can spot sloths in a tree driving by. They are very hard to see in the wild. It will look like a hairy coconut so if you really want to experience sloths I would do the sloth tour. We met people who did that and really enjoyed it.

We did see a bunch of monkeys in the wild on the drive back. We did not do lunch as it was so early; I do not believe any restaurants were open. Maybe make it a bit later start if that is a priority. We had done the small ferry boat through the extra 2 canals the day before so I think my husband was glad to get back to the ship early.

I would definitely take Syl over the Princess tour (boat and banana tour).

If we had not planned the long day in Panama, we would have probably done the all day rain forest, etc tour in Costa Rica.

Thank you so much for reporting back from your cruise. Glad you are feeling better.

sounds like you had a long day in Panama. Did you take any other excursions ?

• 5 months later...

Eduardo Humphreys, Tour Operator, Your Lucky Tour, Puerto Limon, Costa Rica is active. I have just booked with him for January 2017 when in port on the Carnival Pride.

His website is http://yourluckytour. com/ (don't forget to move the com back to the dot). Eduardo has be quick to reply to me by both email and 2 phone calls the past 2 days, so I was very impressed.

There is a Miami phone # on his website (321) 338-8720 . There is no greeting, but I left a message anyway and he called me back a couple of hours later.

Edited by DameAtSeaII

• 2 months later...
Thank you so much for reporting back from your cruise. Glad you are feeling better.

sounds like you had a long day in Panama. Did you take any other excursions ?

We took the walking tour and time on your own in Cartagena. It was super hot

No tour in Aruba

The small boats through the final 2 locks to the pacific. Long day but I thought it was worth it

In Jamaica we did princess tour to mystic mountain. I wanted to do the bobsled ride. We have done dunns river falls in the past. They have shuttles every few minutes back to the ship. You buy the bob sled tickets there. Nice view but not too much to so. Spent time at margarettaville