Castaway Cay - Take passport with you when u walk out?

mnsweeps

We were thinking of taking only our sail away card when we walk out of ship to Castaway Cay.... Not the passport... Is that okay ?

also is there any place we can get a castaway cay passport stamp (vanity) in case we decide to take the passport with us.

Edited by mnsweeps

You should always take your passport with you when you leave the ship. If somehow you have an emergency or miss the ship, you need the passport to fly anywhere. Better safe than sorry.

Couldn't be more true. We missed our ship in St. Thomas about 15 years ago and had nothing but a ship card and a Visa. We are Canadian and we would have been had a big problem had it been now with tightened security. We had to get a letter from the port authority saying we were who we claimed.

Adults are now required to have a photo ID in addition to your sail away card. We used our drivers license. Announcements were made and it was noted in the Navigator. We left our passports in the safe.

Was any reason given for this? I understand at other ports that you'd want photo ID/passport, but why is it needed at Castaway Cay? There's no possibility of being left behind.

• 2 weeks later...

Adults DO need to bring official photo ID off the ship with them, along with the keycard. this does not have to be a passport.

I, personally, bring my passport with me for all ports except for Castaway and Coco Cays. For those I bring my driver's license.

I figure that the cruiseline knows where I am and can easily find me on their private islands. The likelihood of accidentally being left behind is low.