Best Place to Stay and park

CheerMom15

We will be cruising on Anthem June 30, 2016. We are in state but not near the city at all, so we will be driving down there. We are planning on spending the day before sailing hitting up WTC/Statue of Liberty because the hubs has never been to the city. Currently we have reservations at Hilton garden Inn Staten Island to stay and park and they will shuttle us to the pier. But after looking at transportation maps, I'm thinking this isn't the best place to stay and park? Can anyone offer up a better place to be that would put us on the subway system and give us a place to leave the car safely? It will be just the 2 of us for the room so we don't need a ton of space or more than 1 bed :) Thanks!

We will be cruising on Anthem June 30, 2016. We are in state but not near the city at all, so we will be driving down there. We are planning on spending the day before sailing hitting up WTC/Statue of Liberty because the hubs has never been to the city. Currently we have reservations at Hilton garden Inn Staten Island to stay and park and they will shuttle us to the pier. But after looking at transportation maps, I'm thinking this isn't the best place to stay and park? Can anyone offer up a better place to be that would put us on the subway system and give us a place to leave the car safely? It will be just the 2 of us for the room so we don't need a ton of space or more than 1 bed :) Thanks!

Look at Trinityreservations.com for a park/sleep at the Ramada Plaza including round trip port transportation for $214 tax included. This is the best deal out there because of the parking and round trip port transportation.

If it were me, I'd drive to Liberty State Park in Jersey City, pay $7 to park, and go to the Statue of Liberty from there. You can take the return ferry back to NYC and do the WTC area. You then take the Liberty Landing ferry from the World Financial Center ($5/pp with your SOL ticket stubs) back to Liberty State Park and pick up your car to go to the hotel. (http://www.libertylandingferry.com). No need to deal with the subway at all and it's very cost effective - $7 is a steal for parking and $5/pp is very reasonable to go directly back to Liberty State Park from lower Manhattan.

Edited by 138east

Look at Trinityreservations.com for a park/sleep at the Ramada Plaza including round trip port transportation for $214 tax included. This is the best deal out there because of the parking and round trip port transportation.

If it were me, I'd drive to Liberty State Park in Jersey City, pay $7 to park, and go to the Statue of Liberty from there. You can take the return ferry back to NYC and do the WTC area. You then take the Liberty Landing ferry from the World Financial Center ($5/pp with your SOL ticket stubs) back to Liberty State Park and pick up your car to go to the hotel. (http://www.libertylandingferry.com). No need to deal with the subway at all and it's very cost effective - $7 is a steal for parking and $5/pp is very reasonable to go directly back to Liberty State Park from lower Manhattan.

Where is the Ramada located? I will for sure check it out! Our room at the Hilton for stay/park/cruise is 217.00 with taxes so if the Ramada is way more convenient, I will check it out for sure! Thanks!

The Ramada is on Frontage Road right near exit 14 of the NJ Turnpike. When you get off at exit 14 you stay to the right and take I78 LOCAL and Frontage Road is the second exit. At the end of the exit ramp you go left and the Doubletree will be on your right followed by the Ramada.

To get to Liberty State Park you get back on the turnpike and follow the signs to exit 14B, which is two exits. Very easy - you will save yourself tons of time and aggravation by not trying to get to the NJ Transit train at the airport via hotel shuttle and airtrain and then taking PATH to the WTC and then walking to the SOL ferry at Battery Park, which will take you over an hour each way. Going to the a SOL from NJ is a much more low key experience that avoids the NYC crowds.

Don't forget that you have to also pay a $14 toll to get onto Staten Island. Where are you coming from?

I didn't know about the toll to get on to Staten Island. Perhaps another reason to look at the Ramada. We live up near Syracuse but we are not from NY originally :)

I didn't know about the toll to get on to Staten Island. Perhaps another reason to look at the Ramada. We live up near Syracuse but we are not from NY originally :)

Are you planning on trying to drive from Syracuse and tour the SOL the same day? That's going to be tight. Even more reason to skip Staten Island and go directly to Liberty State Park.

Are you planning on trying to drive from Syracuse and tour the SOL the same day? That's going to be tight. Even more reason to skip Staten Island and go directly to Liberty State Park.

Our cruise leaves on a Thursday so we were planning on coming down on Tuesday evening and just relaxing in the hotel. Then hitting up SOL and WTC on Wednesday :) I am from MA originally so I am used to driving 5-6 hours to get home and its exhausting. No way could I do that drive and then try to sightsee!

Our cruise leaves on a Thursday so we were planning on coming down on Tuesday evening and just relaxing in the hotel. Then hitting up SOL and WTC on Wednesday :) I am from MA originally so I am used to driving 5-6 hours to get home and its exhausting. No way could I do that drive and then try to sightsee!

If you have a car, parking at Liberty State Park in NJ, will make your life so easy. You don't want to deal with the Staten Island crossings if you don't have to. If you can find a park and stay in NJ that will make your vacation so much better, especially coming from Syracuse.

If you have a car, parking at Liberty State Park in NJ, will make your life so easy. You don't want to deal with the Staten Island crossings if you don't have to. If you can find a park and stay in NJ that will make your vacation so much better, especially coming from Syracuse.

Thanks for the insight :) So you would suggest the Ramada as well? Will our truck be safe there for the time we are gone?

Thanks for the insight :) So you would suggest the Ramada as well? Will our truck be safe there for the time we are gone?

The Ramada is on the north side of the airport in a more isolated area (no easy random access on foot) and has gated parking that is attended 7x24. The hotel has folks coming and going at all hours because it is used by airline crews as well. No one has reported any issues with leaving cars there while on a cruise.

You can book the extra night on aa.com for less than the rack rate from the Ramada web site You might want to contact Trinity to see if they can link your reservations. The hotel has a cafe, a restaurant, and a popular sports bar.

The Ramada is on the north side of the airport in a more isolated area (no easy random access on foot) and has gated parking that is attended 7x24. The hotel has folks coming and going at all hours because it is used by airline crews as well. No one has reported any issues with leaving cars there while on a cruise.

You can book the extra night on aa.com for less than the rack rate from the Ramada web site You might want to contact Trinity to see if they can link your reservations. The hotel has a cafe, a restaurant, and a popular sports bar.

Thanks! I was wondering about the extra night since Trinity says its one night only :) I will for sure price out the extra night. What is aa.com?

Thanks! I was wondering about the extra night since Trinity says its one night only :) I will for sure price out the extra night. What is aa.com?

It is the American Airlines site which offers hotels and other vacation services under their 'Plan Travel" tab. I think they reserve large blocks of rooms to use for their airline crews and to resell to travelers. Their prices are always less than or the same as the hotel rack rate.

Please note that you will probably have to pay for parking at the hotel for the additional night.

Edited by 138east

• 4 weeks later...
I just got back from a cruise on Anthem from NJ. I did the Trinity Reservations deal at Ramada Plaza and it was great! Thanks Carol for the suggestion :) Also, thanks for the excellent directions from MA to get there!

Glad it worked out for you. Thanks for the feedback.

How is the shuttle from the Ramada to and from the Port? Do you reserve it? Is it on a schedule? Is the return trip relatively prompt?

We're sailing on Anthem in March, and enquiring minds want to know.

I can't answer your question, but I need to clarify a point for our readers. To use the shuttle from the Ramada, you have to book the park/sleep through Trinityreservations.com, which arranges the transportation.

The Ramada Plaza has nothing to do with the shuttle arrangements. They only run a shuttle between the airport and the hotel.

I will book when it gets a little closer since they want the money up front and its still a ways away :)

I would book it after New Years. Trinity is a reseller of rooms. They buy a block of rooms with parking at a reduced price from the hotel and then market park/sleep packages. Once their rooms are gone, they are gone. Yes, you have to pay up front, but the reservation is cancellable up to 12 noon one day before your arrival with a full refund.h

On the Trinity web page read the "About Us" tab to find out more about this family owned company.

Jumping on this thread to ask a somewhat related question because you all seem so very helpful!

We are going on Anthem next October. We plan on flying into Newark the day before, we're not going to do any sight seeing.

What is the best hotel to say at near the port that will a) offer shuttle service to pick us up at the airport and b) offer shuttle service to the port the next morning. Or, is it better to take a taxi?

Upon return, I am looking at a 2:15 pm flight, which I assume will be plenty of time to get from the port to the airport.

What is the best way to do this? Taxi? Arrange transportation with RCCL?

Thanks for your input!

Jumping on this thread to ask a somewhat related question because you all seem so very helpful!

We are going on Anthem next October. We plan on flying into Newark the day before, we're not going to do any sight seeing.

What is the best hotel to say at near the port that will a) offer shuttle service to pick us up at the airport and b) offer shuttle service to the port the next morning. Or, is it better to take a taxi?

Upon return, I am looking at a 2:15 pm flight, which I assume will be plenty of time to get from the port to the airport.

What is the best way to do this? Taxi? Arrange transportation with RCCL?

Thanks for your input!

What's your budget? What time does your flight arrive? Can you manage your luggage to take an elevator up to Airtrain and ride to the P4 station to connect with a hotel shuttle?

What's your budget? What time does your flight arrive? Can you manage your luggage to take an elevator up to Airtrain and ride to the P4 station to connect with a hotel shuttle?

We're only staying one night so it doesn't have to be an economy motel but not the Ritz, either :)

We can handle our luggage. I have no idea what Airtrain and P4 Station is.

Does this mean hotel shuttles are not located outside baggage claim?

We're flying in on United.

Someone on another site recommended Hampton Inn or County Inn and Suites.

And, on returning from the cruise, a sedan taxi $68 total, try to share with others or a shuttle type taxi at $10 pp.

Thanks!

We're only staying one night so it doesn't have to be an economy motel but not the Ritz, either :)

We can handle our luggage. I have no idea what Airtrain and P4 Station is.

Does this mean hotel shuttles are not located outside baggage claim?

We're flying in on United.

Someone on another site recommended Hampton Inn or County Inn and Suites.

And, on returning from the cruise, a sedan taxi $68 total, try to share with others or a shuttle type taxi at $10 pp.

Thanks!

Could you put a dollar range to your budget? I'm asking what time your flight arrives because I am really asking if you are expecting to go out for dinner.

Hotel shuttles are not located outside baggage claim. You have to take escalators or elevators up to the Airtrain station for a free ride to the P4 station. https://www.panynj.gov/airports/pdf/ewr-airtrain-brochure-english.pdf

I see you're from Florida, so the first thing I would tell you is that the hotels and transportation for Cape Liberty absolutely don't work like the Florida ports. You are staying on a weekday night, so hotels will be more expensive because of business travel. There are very few hotels that we recommend that offer a port shuttle. There are no $10 shuttle type taxis!

Newark is a highly industrialized area and you must be selective about your hotel. A cheap hotel is really a cheap hotel and not recommended. Many hotels offer free breakfast, but offer no other food service. Most hotels are relatively isolated with no place to walk to restaurants. Country Inns is $271 tax included with round trip port transportation and Embassy Suites is $348. Both have free breakfast and are across the street from Ruby Tuesdays and IHOP. The Jersey Gardens Mall is nearby with a Johnny Rockets and a food court. The best deal is a park/sleep at the Ramada Plaza through Trinityreservations.com for $214 tax included with round trip port transportation and on site restaurant, sports bar and cafe, but no free breakfast.

So please provide more details about your expectations.

Could you put a dollar range to your budget? I'm asking what time your flight arrives because I am really asking if you are expecting to go out for dinner.

Hotel shuttles are not located outside baggage claim. You have to take escalators or elevators up to the Airtrain station for a free ride to the P4 station. https://www.panynj.gov/airports/pdf/ewr-airtrain-brochure-english.pdf

I see you're from Florida, so the first thing I would tell you is that the hotels and transportation for Cape Liberty absolutely don't work like the Florida ports. You are staying on a weekday night, so hotels will be more expensive because of business travel. There are very few hotels that we recommend that offer a port shuttle. There are no $10 shuttle type taxis!

Newark is a highly industrialized area and you must be selective about your hotel. A cheap hotel is really a cheap hotel and not recommended. Many hotels offer free breakfast, but offer no other food service. Most hotels are relatively isolated with no place to walk to restaurants. Country Inns is $271 tax included with round trip port transportation and Embassy Suites is $348. Both have free breakfast and are across the street from Ruby Tuesdays and IHOP. The Jersey Gardens Mall is nearby with a Johnny Rockets and a food court. The best deal is a park/sleep at the Ramada Plaza through Trinityreservations.com for $214 tax included with round trip port transportation and on site restaurant, sports bar and cafe, but no free breakfast.

So please provide more details about your expectations.

Thanks for the info.

We get in around 2 so yes, we'll need to eat dinner somewhere.

I'd say our overall budget for the hotel/dinner/transportation (from the airport to the hotel, from the hotel to the pier and from the pier back to the airport) would be $500.

Someone on another thread mentioned the shuttle van type taxis at the pier that go to the airport and said they were $10 pp.

Thanks again!