New Orleans with foodies-help

marshhawk

I like to eat, it's true, but we will be traveling with actual foodies, you know those folks that eat at restaurants with a REPUTATION:eek:, and they don't worry about price, I am watching the wallet all the time. :(:(

She loves oysters, he loves exotic food, I like broiled shrimp, and DH likes to try new things- so the question is-suggestions please-where can we go and meet all these demands-I am in charge of making the reservations.

New Orleans in January.

Edited by marshhawk

How much time do you have, what sort of food do you want, this is New Orleans you are talking about, as long as you stay out of the chain places and those that are designed to appeal to tourist that is a LOT of good food. Most is traditional style New Orleans Creole, New Orleans Creole / Cajun mashup, or some contemporary new twist on traditional New Orleans food. Note this should not be confused with Cajun food, it is very hard to find true Cajun food in New Orleans, Creole and Cajun are not the same, they each have a distinct flavor profile, Creole tend to be tomato based and the spices have a bit more bite, while Cajun mostly lacks Tomato (with a couple of exceptions) and spices tend to be more full bodied. If you have time I would suggest you try real cajun food for at least one of your meals, assuming you are going on a cruise, I would suggest Mulates for this http://www.mulates.com/ as they are located just a couple of blocks from the cruise terminal and provide real live cajun music on the weekends. For a look at the menu http://www.mulates.com/menu/Menu-2015.pdf If you are looking for something a little more modern New Orleans with a contemporary take on traditional dishes and is also within walking distance of the Cruise terminals (although a longer walk) and many of the downtown hotels, I would suggest Palace Cafe on Canal Steet http://www.palacecafe.com/ Just the thing for foodies looking for that less discovered spot, note service can be somewhat slow.

thank you, mulates in 4 blocks from our hotel-we will be in town two nights, and I know one lunch/breakfast will be at Mothers. But Mulates sounds great to me, I just emailed the other couple, and will find out what he thinks after looking over the menu.