Mar. 20th NYC Half Marathon - Disembarking ?

Mom to 2

We have done two cruises with NCL that have disembarked in NYC on the day of the NYC half marathon. The first time was a nightmare as we did not know about the marathon, had parked at the pier and planned to head out of the city via the Lincoln Tunnel. The tunnel and most roads were closed and we ended up in crazy traffic until we realized we needed to head to the George Washington Bridge. The following year we took a left out of the pier, travelled up the West Side Highway to the bridge and were on our way home. :)

This year we have a coach bus taking us to, and picking us up from the pier. We recently found out that the bus won't be able to travel on the West Side Highway. :( My question is, does anyone know approximately what time the Lincoln Tunnel reopens on the day of the race? I've read that the race begins at 7:30 and runners have 3 hours to complete it. To me this means the roads should gradually start to reopen as the runners make their way through the city. We have a long drive home to Ontario and want to get underway as soon as we can. Anyone know any other routes our bus could take to get us out of the city?

We have done two cruises with NCL that have disembarked in NYC on the day of the NYC half marathon. The first time was a nightmare as we did not know about the marathon, had parked at the pier and planned to head out of the city via the Lincoln Tunnel. The tunnel and most roads were closed and we ended up in crazy traffic until we realized we needed to head to the George Washington Bridge. The following year we took a left out of the pier, travelled up the West Side Highway to the bridge and were on our way home. :)

This year we have a coach bus taking us to, and picking us up from the pier. We recently found out that the bus won't be able to travel on the West Side Highway. :( My question is, does anyone know approximately what time the Lincoln Tunnel reopens on the day of the race? I've read that the race begins at 7:30 and runners have 3 hours to complete it. To me this means the roads should gradually start to reopen as the runners make their way through the city. We have a long drive home to Ontario and want to get underway as soon as we can. Anyone know any other routes our bus could take to get us out of the city?

I don't see any responses to your question. It is totally possible for your bus to go on of the avenues to and from the GW bridge. This is what the buses like Greyhound and Peter Pan do. It's not optimal, but it could avoid the Marathon completely depending on the Marathon route. Can you post a link to that? There may be no need to delay your departure to wait for the Lincoln ?Tunnel to reopen.

http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-events/2016/united-airlines-nyc-half

I think going North to GW will be fine. They don't come over to the West Side until 42nd/43rd Street.

Starts Central Park East Side in the park 72nd St or about. Up to the top of the park at 110th, down the west side of the park. Exit 59th (AKA Central Park South) and down 7th Ave to 42nd Street. Across 42nd Street, up West Side Hwy, U Turn at 43rd St. Down West Side Hwy/West St all the way to Battery Park Underpass and thru to FDR North. Ends up on Water and Wall streets.