Alaska Railroad - Coastal Classic (Gold Star)

Studio472

We are booked for the Coastal Classic Train (Gold Star) the morning of our Radiance cruise this August. I've been told I'm going to love this trip.

How long does breakfast take? Will I be missing the view from the domed car? I envision some hooligans snagging my seat during breakfast (I know it's MY seat but still)

Do they bring cocktails up to the domed car or is that only in the dining car?

GoldStar Service features:

• Confirmed seat in the upper-level dome car

• All-inclusive dining, soft beverages and two adult beverages per trip

• Complimentary coffee, soda, or tea served at your seat

• Exclusive upper-level viewing deck - the only of its kind in the world

• Alaskan tour guide providing narration

Edited by Studio472

We are booked for Gold Star service too. We take the Coastal Train this coming Sunday morning. I will try to remember to post a reply upon our return in the event someone else doesn't get your question answered.

We are booked for the Coastal Classic Train (Gold Star) the morning of our Radiance cruise this August. I've been told I'm going to love this trip.

How long does breakfast take? Will I be missing the view from the domed car? I envision some hooligans snagging my seat during breakfast (I know it's MY seat but still)

Do they bring cocktails up to the domed car or is that only in the dining car?

GoldStar Service features:

• Confirmed seat in the upper-level dome car

• All-inclusive dining, soft beverages and two adult beverages per trip

• Complimentary coffee, soda, or tea served at your seat

• Exclusive upper-level viewing deck - the only of its kind in the world

• Alaskan tour guide providing narration

You will enjoy the trip. Breakfast takes about 45 minutes and is served on the first level of your car. There are large picture windows so unless there is something high on a mountain you do not miss much if anything of the view.

We have found that no one bothers your seat. Everyone has one and passengers from other cars do not come upstairs.

As far as cocktails, there is a bar on the upper level of your car. The conductor will bring drinks to your seat or you can go get them from him at the bar.

Notice the large windows in the dining room downstairs.

16397133196_5a2dd7a0a0_b.jpg[/url]

Notice the man standing? That is the conductor. The bar is just to the left of where I was standing to take this photo.

16237208767_8d29b8aafc_b.jpg

Here is the AK RR version of the Bloody Mary - perfect way to start the day!

18907948009_0c17d8fc27_o.jpg

Edited by zqvol

We went almost two years ago and lucked out getting the first seats in the front of the Gold Dome car. Great view and really enjoyed our experience. Breakfast was delicious! They seated us with another couple at breakfast who were enjoyable to chat with. We were called to breakfast in order of seating. Had a view by the window there too.

We also walked to the back of the train to take outside pictures from the last car.

No one in Gold Dome will take your seats. We just left our coats, etc in our seats. Yes, we were served drinks at our seats if we wanted them.

You will have an enjoyable trip!

• 2 months later...
We went almost two years ago and lucked out getting the first seats in the front of the Gold Dome car. Great view and really enjoyed our experience. Breakfast was delicious! They seated us with another couple at breakfast who were enjoyable to chat with. We were called to breakfast in order of seating. Had a view by the window there too.

We also walked to the back of the train to take outside pictures from the last car.

No one in Gold Dome will take your seats. We just left our coats, etc in our seats. Yes, we were served drinks at our seats if we wanted them.

You will have an enjoyable trip!

You nailed it! We were maybe the 7th row in the front car and also had a wonderful experience. ONE of the many highlights of the trip. Several in our group called this trip a 'home run'.

Unexpected perk of the Gold Star Service: Our group was hanging out front waiting to get in line when a RR employee noticed our gold pins, he told us there was a separate waiting area for us on the left side of the building. We had a few elderly folks with mobility issues so it was nice for them to be able to get to the train without pressure to be fast. Boarding was very easy. Highly recommend splurging on the Gold Star.

• 4 months later...

I don't think so. I think they are assigned when purchased. Maybe call the ticket counter before buying and see.

In gold star it doesn't really matter, unless you get front row of the 1st car, everything is about equal.

Are you able to reserve or request a certain seat or side of the train in advance? Thanks.

No, seats are assigned when you arrive, but if you notice the pictures posted above there are not any bad seats in the car. Also remember that there is an observation deck in the rear that is open the whole trip where you can stand and take in all the views.

Thank you! We are planning on taking the plunge and spending the extra money on the gold star seats. It does look like the views are amazing from wherever you are. I've read so much about the Coastal Classic train ride and the White Pass/ Yukon train ride. I'm wondering if two train rides would be redundant. I imagine they are very different but wondering if we should do a whale watching excursion in Skagway instead of the train.

I have another question for anyone who has had breakfast on the train. Our GS (AGE 13) will be traveling with us. He had a Kidney Transplant 2 yrs ago. He is doing fine but we do have to watch what sort of foods he eats. Dose anyone remember what sort of breakfast foods they offer? He is good with things like bagels and cream cheese. He is not a picky eater.

Thanks for your help.

We reserved the gold star on the Coastal Classic train for our Alaska cruise. I have a question about arriving in Seward. How far is it from where the train ends to the ship?

10 -12 minute walk. You can check luggage through to the ship so that is not an issue.

I have another question for anyone who has had breakfast on the train. Our GS (AGE 13) will be traveling with us. He had a Kidney Transplant 2 yrs ago. He is doing fine but we do have to watch what sort of foods he eats. Dose anyone remember what sort of breakfast foods they offer? He is good with things like bagels and cream cheese. He is not a picky eater.

Thanks for your help.

There is a menu online. But I'd suggest checking after the season starts, end of May, for the current information.

Thank you! We are planning on taking the plunge and spending the extra money on the gold star seats. It does look like the views are amazing from wherever you are. I've read so much about the Coastal Classic train ride and the White Pass/ Yukon train ride. I'm wondering if two train rides would be redundant. I imagine they are very different but wondering if we should do a whale watching excursion in Skagway instead of the train.

When is your cruise. Whale watching- is not a good idea out of Skagway except at the begining of the season through June.

The White Pass RR is very different, history is significant, plus it is narrow gage.

Our cruise is May 20, 2016 leaving out of Anchorage on Celebrity Millenium. Thanks for the whale watching tips. I am very interested in the historical route taken through White Pass. I was just on the fence with doing two train trips and possibly skipping a whale watching excursion. There are SOOO many offerings and it has hard to choose!

Our cruise is May 20, 2016 leaving out of Anchorage on Celebrity Millenium. Thanks for the whale watching tips. I am very interested in the historical route taken through White Pass. I was just on the fence with doing two train trips and possibly skipping a whale watching excursion. There are SOOO many offerings and it has hard to choose!

I'd suggest, if you may be interested in varied wildlife, a Kenai Fjords boat tour, does have whale watching possible. But it's 100% humpback sightings out of both Juneau, and Hoonah. Skagway is also good in your timeframe. So, several opportunities- perhaps schedule it ?

you have a reserved seat so no one can sit in it - it's yours.

they take you downstairs by rows (we were the very last to eat).

there are big picture windows in the dining area, so you see from there as well.

it was fabulous and we enjoyed the ride very much..

in fact, that train ride was the whole reason for our trip to alaska.

it was on my mom's bucket list - a ride in the glass domed train in alaska.

tick

Thanks for your help.

i suggest you bring some food along with you just in case.

• 3 weeks later...
We are travelling on the Coastal Classic (Goldstar) and are wondering how we get our luggage from the ship to the railway station.

Many thanks:)

You need to transport it. There is a "city" loop shuttle (school bus) that will drop you off near the depot. You can also take a cab or walk.

The depot opens in the morning, always seems to be early when I've been there, or if you have a tour- tour vendors will hold your bags.

IF you do check it, you won't see it again until Anchorage. You can get your tickets when you drop off your bags early, but, EACH person, does need to show their id.

When you get to the rail station there is a tent with. Inside are the cruise lines sailing that day. You need to have you luggage tags on them, and they will take the luggage on a box truck. You hop on the train and your luggage will be waiting for you in your ship cabin.

It's the best!

When you get to the rail station there is a tent with. Inside are the cruise lines sailing that day. You need to have you luggage tags on them, and they will take the luggage on a box truck. You hop on the train and your luggage will be waiting for you in your ship cabin.

It's the best!

The poster is LEAVING a ship. there isn't a "tent' in Seward.

• 2 weeks later...
You will enjoy the trip. Breakfast takes about 45 minutes and is served on the first level of your car. There are large picture windows so unless there is something high on a mountain you do not miss much if anything of the view.

We have found that no one bothers your seat. Everyone has one and passengers from other cars do not come upstairs.

As far as cocktails, there is a bar on the upper level of your car. The conductor will bring drinks to your seat or you can go get them from him at the bar.

Notice the large windows in the dining room downstairs.

16397133196_5a2dd7a0a0_b.jpg

Notice the man standing? That is the conductor. The bar is just to the left of where I was standing to take this photo.

16237208767_8d29b8aafc_b.jpg

Here is the AK RR version of the Bloody Mary - perfect way to start the day!

18907948009_0c17d8fc27_o.jpg

I thought all seats face forward. They don't?

I thought all seats face forward. They don't?

They can be turned around by the conductor. It is the passenger's choice. If I remember correctly the ones in the picture were turned because it was a family of four and they wanted them that way for the kids. One of them had an injured leg, and it gave more leg room.

Edited by zqvol