Post-Cruise Plans in Seattle - Will This Work?

My husband and I are going on our first cruise in just a few days, which leaves from Vancouver and returns to Seattle. We are wondering if our post-cruise Seattle plan makes sense.

We have a flight that leaves at 2:30 pm. We could just take a shuttle directly to the airport, but that seems like an awful long time to spend in an airport. We are thinking of renting a car and then taking it to Discovery Park. Hang out there for a couple of hours, then leave at 11:30 am to drive to the airport. Crazy idea, or would it work okay?

I feel like I'm missing something, but when I look at the price to rent a car for that long from Alamo, it looks like it will only be about $40. Alternatively, using Shuttle Express to take us directly to the airport would cost $44. We could also check our bags at the pier for an additional $10-15 and then take the shuttle or a cab. Please let me know if I'm wrong about any of this.

So, it seems to me that even if we just rented the car and left our bags sitting in it and then walked around, that would still be cheaper than taking the shuttle. But, I've walked around Downtown Seattle on previous trips and there's nothing in particular I want to revisit. That's where the idea of Discovery Park comes in.

Thoughts??

I'd be worried about the time. With the way TSA is at SEATAC I wouldn't even consider getting off the ship, renting and returning a car, and make a 2:30 flight all in the same day. I know after dozens of flights out of Seattle after getting off a ship, I'd much rather head to the airport and wait there for a couple hours rather than push it and be worried about a flight.

Are you carrying off your own luggage? If you are planning on having the ship take the bags off you won't have the flexibility of getting off the ship whenever you want so that could mess with your plans.

Where are you renting the car? Most likely they won't be delivering the car to you at the port once you get off, so if there is a shuttle to the rental car company there could be a wait there. More time. And I don't know what day you are coming into Seattle but weekday traffic can be bad. Also, the cruise port and airport are quite a ways apart. You'll have a bit of drive time between the two.

Edited by idahospud

I'd be worried about the time. With the way TSA is at SEATAC I wouldn't even consider getting off the ship, renting and returning a car, and make a 2:30 flight all in the same day. I know after dozens of flights out of Seattle after getting off a ship, I'd much rather head to the airport and wait there for a couple hours rather than push it and be worried about a flight.

Are you carrying off your own luggage? If you are planning on having the ship take the bags off you won't have the flexibility of getting off the ship whenever you want so that could mess with your plans.

Where are you renting the car? Most likely they won't be delivering the car to you at the port once you get off, so if there is a shuttle to the rental car company there could be a wait there. More time. And I don't know what day you are coming into Seattle but weekday traffic can be bad. Also, the cruise port and airport are quite a ways apart. You'll have a bit of drive time between the two.

Yes. Definitely agree.

OP, you might consider a cruiseline sponsored tour that gives you a bit of touristing and features airport drop off.

Also, Cedarbrook Lodge just south of the airport is lovely and would be nice spot to spend a couple of hours.

Some info--SeaTac airport currently recommends arriving at least 2 hours before departure for domestic flights. I've read local Seattle news reports that SeaTac TSA is understaffed by 50%.

We will be arriving in Seattle on a Sunday. We get in to Pier 66, and there is a shuttle that takes us to the car rental place. Part of the reason I feel apprehensive about this plan is that we don't know exactly what time we will be off the ship, which makes it hard to plan anything.

OP, you might consider a cruiseline sponsored tour that gives you a bit of touristing and features airport drop off.

We did want to do this, but unfortunately the tours are only available if your flight leaves at 4 pm or later.

Between a taxi, shuttle, or rental car, the rental car is still the cheaper option, so we are considering just renting the car, leaving where it is and walking around for a bit if we have enough time, then getting in the car and going straight to the airport. Or, if we arrive later than expected, possibly calling up the shuttle instead.

There are so many factors out of your control- the time you can get off the ship, the time it takes to get through customs that day, the wait time for the Alamo shuttle at the cruise terminal, the length of line at the Alamo check-in, the wait time for shuttle at the airport Alamo location, and the security wait time.

Let's say you get off the ship at 9:15. A few minutes in line, pick up luggage, go through customs. Could be close to 10:00 if you're lucky. Wait for car rental shuttle, take shuttle to rental office, wait at rental office with all the other cruisers who are renting a car, get to your car, get your bearings on where you are going. Could be 11:00 at that point. Even if you picked up the car and went straight away to the airport without walking around it could be 12:30 before getting to the security line since you'll have to take another shuttle from the rental car dropoff to your terminal. Could be earlier, but not a whole bunch. And that's all without doing any walking around.

A question on the car rental cost - does Alamo charge for dropping off a different location?

We are renting a car after disembarking in Seattle, but our return flight isn't until 11:15 pm. I have read about very long lines at the car rental locations on cruise days.

T

My husband and I are going on our first cruise in just a few days, which leaves from Vancouver and returns to Seattle. We are wondering if our post-cruise Seattle plan makes sense.

We have a flight that leaves at 2:30 pm. We could just take a shuttle directly to the airport, but that seems like an awful long time to spend in an airport. We are thinking of renting a car and then taking it to Discovery Park. Hang out there for a couple of hours, then leave at 11:30 am to drive to the airport. Crazy idea, or would it work okay?

I feel like I'm missing something, but when I look at the price to rent a car for that long from Alamo, it looks like it will only be about $40. Alternatively, using Shuttle Express to take us directly to the airport would cost $44. We could also check our bags at the pier for an additional $10-15 and then take the shuttle or a cab. Please let me know if I'm wrong about any of this.

So, it seems to me that even if we just rented the car and left our bags sitting in it and then walked around, that would still be cheaper than taking the shuttle. But, I've walked around Downtown Seattle on previous trips and there's nothing in particular I want to revisit. That's where the idea of Discovery Park comes in.

Thoughts??

With the security check-in time problems they've been having, I'm not sure I'd take the chance of having a problem getting through security. I'd suggest that you might just try and get off the ship by 10 or 10:30 and then catch a cab, Seattle Express or Shuttle Express run to the airport and get rid of your bags, get through security and then sit down and relax. No sense in possibly missing your flight and ruining a perfectly good and relaxing vacation/cruise! One man's opinion.

Whatever you do, I hope you have an enjoyable cruise and a safe trip back home!! :)

Tom