Adriatic to Barcelona in April 17?

Question for the more experienced cruisers here:

We're looking at a 10-day itinerary from Venice to Barcelona in early April of '17. I know the weather can be iffy that early, but I think it would be offset by the smaller crowds. Normally, I'd book it and just take the appropriate layers/rain gear - but my dilemma is that we're taking my mother and her husband with us and this will be their first cruise. They're late 70s and I want to make sure they have a good time. Mom has never been to Europe before (not for lack of trying on my part) but she finally decided to come with us. I want to make sure her first cruise is memorable.

Would I be better off waiting a month or so or do you all think that early to mid-April will be fine? Appreciate any and all constructive comments!

Thanks in advance.

No one can guarantee good weather, as you know. But I think its more likely than not that the weather will be reasonably good. I've taken one Med cruise in early April and also have visited various countries in the Med at that time of year. (In fact, I am currently in Tuscany where the weather has been gorgeous all week....!) It may be slightly cooler, but that's not always a bad thing if you are more into sightseeing than visiting a beach. And yes, the crowds are definitely less at this time of year.

So unless your mother et al are not used to weather below 80 degrees or the occasional rain shower (which can occur this time of year, but less likely in the southern Med than in the North, i.e., Venice), I think your plan sounds fine.

• 3 weeks later...

It will be busy when ever you go and personally I would go mid May so warm enough to just wear a cardigan not a coat but not too hot for sight seeing. But then I'm from UK so need a bit of sun after a cold winter [emoji3]

I have just been in the south of Spain 09 to 23April, which is warmer than the area you are planning to visit. We had varied weather, rain, storms and sun.

In April the weather will be unsettled and on the cool side. I would also choose May over April.

Well, unfortunately, May didn't fit into our schedule (nor did our line have an itinerary that we preferred) so we booked April. Will take a fleece and a light rain jacket and pray to the weather gods!

Thanks for everyone's input!

Bill

Yes the weather will vary but here are two experiences I have had:

April in Paris (way to the north), sunny with blossoms on the trees.

March on the Riviera, sunny days, we at outside by the ocean one day and up in Eze another.